SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SE PA folks: local range for "combat" shotgunning?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SE PA folks: local range for "combat" shotgunning? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Are there any clubs or ranges in the SE PA area that allow the shooting of shotguns on a flat range with loads other than buck or slug?

I'm a member at LPRGC and you can do trap or shoot your shotgun from the bench, so that's out. I alternately shoot at Classic Pistol, where I think you can shoot slug and buck (Target Master is the same way, IIRC), but there you're stuck in a booth.

What I want is somewhere where I can work my M4 with light loads at close ranges, preferably in something like a pit.

I'm very seriously considering getting a V3 Tac 13 to SBS, but if I have nowhere to shoot it, I'm going to spend my money elsewhere. As it is, I barely ever shoot my Benelli.

Anyone in the area know of anywhere I can actually shoot combat shotguns?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out Guardian Training Center just off of Mearns Rd in the industrial park? Guardian is only a few miles from Classic Pistol.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
How south east? Looks like there's one pit at Ontelaunee you'd be allowed do that in... if it's free and you'd probably need your own target stands or steel. (I'm not a member, so take it for what it's worth)

Posts: 21040 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks for the leads.

Wanted to get the fiancee into a Shivworks class at Guardian in the winter, but she couldn't get out of work.

And the Ontelaunee club isn't an ungodly drive and membership isn't too bad.

I'll check into those.

Thanks!

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Your best bet may be to find the closest club that is running 3-gun matches.

You would need to bring along a rifle and pistol as well, but

"What I want is somewhere where I can work my M4 with light loads at close ranges, preferably in something like a pit."

screams 3-gun shotgun courses to me.

https://youtu.be/O8ZWyncpS6g?t=37

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
There’s actually a few awesome free ranges in NJ that are always empty and without range officers.

They’re hidden gems and only allow shotgun and rifle.

I was recently at one in I think Milleville. I had a great time with long range rifle and goofing around with the shockwave.

Took a ton of plastic jugs with colored water and other stuff to shoot at.

...you do need someone with an NJ hunting license though...however no one is there to check.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be worried about NJ not viewing my guns as legal.

Is a Benelli M4 legal there?

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I'd be worried about NJ not viewing my guns as legal.

Is a Benelli M4 legal there?

Magazine over 5 rounds and an AR-style pistol grip stock or telescoping/folding stock? No.

I don't recommend risking it even if it is, and I live in that hellhole.

Posts: 2449 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post