SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Old Stevens 410. Can I shoot slugs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Stevens 410. Can I shoot slugs? Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
Couple yeas ago I got a old Sevens model 39 bold action .410 when my uncle died. It was handed down from my grandfather. I have spent a bit of time on and off since I got it trying to figure out if I can put slugs through it and haven't been able to find anything.

I would like to be able to shoot it and I can shoot shotgun at my range but slug only unless I get into the trap side of things, which I don't really want to do.

In all honesty, I can't really find much of anything in general about it. I do find a bunch on the 39A and later, but still nothing about slug.

All it says on the barrel is Stevens Model 39 and 2 1/2 and 3" shells. The barrel is not rifled and no choke that I am aware of.
Am I safe putting a few through it?

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It is very likely Full choked so I'd beware of shooting slugs. Some manufacturers say you can shoot their slugs through any choke but, for instance, Brenneke suggests using no tighter than IC choke. Even the ones that say you can use any choke recommend CYL or IC for best results.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My 410 with a full choke measures out at .393. So I got a mold for .390. I googled a few pages and BPI has a THUG SLUG for 410 and it specs at .408

https://www.ballisticproducts....productinfo/1264100/

I wouldn’t shoot anything until you mic the actual bore. I was told that a foster type slug would work in my 410. My dad gave me that gun and I don’t want to ruin it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will do some measuring and see what I have. I'm not set up for shotgun reloading so hopefully I can find something name brand that could work.
I'm not really in a big hurry to shoot it but it would be nice to be able to occasionally.I also have a call in to the trap guy from the club to see if I can just do some shooting without the trap part. I don't forsee any reasons why I wouldn't be able to. Smile

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If you want to just try it out I’d just do a little shot. What would be the longer term reason to test the slugs? Then you have those ‘410 defense loads’, shot & buckshot I think. I doubt they are that useful, kinda like 410 slugs.

While one isn’t supposed to ‘target shoot’ at WI public hunting grounds, a few rounds during a quiet weekday, away from the parking lot wouldn’t cause a fuss. To better the odds, pick a crummy weather day, have a hunting license in the wallet.

Likely a few slugs through a full choke shouldn’t hurt anything, after 100 who knows. If you find slugs for sale, another chore, you could cut one open to check choke fit.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Thanks, no real long term thoughts really, just that I can only shoot slug on the normal range. If I want to use shot I need to go mess around on the trap side of the range. Just more messing around that way really for a couple shots once in a while.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I made some brass 410 shells from rifle brass (303,444& 9.3 all work) I chose the 9.3 cause they come out at 2.5” when blown out.

I’m using them with black powder, fiber wad, shot,milk crate shot card and Elmer’s glue.

My gun is a Sears single shot bolt gun, so clean up is easy.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post