SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    For the ELR big boomers among us
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the ELR big boomers among us Login/Join 
posted
I saw this note at the March website this morning, and I just had to share with you fine people.

https://marchscopes.com/news/10738/

If you watch the short video to which the note links, I think you'll get a "kick" out of it. I have never even heard of a 14.5X114 cartridge in a rifle before. The guy in the video says it recoils even more than the 50 Browning, the BMG. That must be quite the jolt.

He says the bullet goes 1 kilometer per second. That's 1000M/sec, or 3280FPS. Pushing a 750gr 50 caliber A-Max out at 3280FPS must be quite the thrill. For someone else.

I checked the Hodgdon website for some loads for the 50BMG. For the 750gr bullet, they show a max load of 250gr on US869 @ 2944FPS and 233gr of H50BMG @ 2800FPS. it looks like you only get 28 to 30 rounds per pound of powder. Ouch, my poor shoulder. I did not find any load for the 14.5X114 even necked down to .510.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I used to get milk in jugs about the size of that brass.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is funny. Yeah, when I saw the sheer size of the cartridge, my eye rolled back and my shoulder hurt spontaneously.

That is one massive round and the rifle looks to be somewhat light, albeit with an incredibly long barrel.

My guess it there must be close to 300grs of powder in that cartridge and that will get anyone's attention.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Wonder if he neck sizes?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MikeinNC, that is a great question.

I haven't a clue how you resize such a case without some kind of hydraulic or otherwise-assisted tool. I can see how you would go through a tin of Imperial Wax per round.

The story was updated to say they ran 320 rounds through this rifle during testing. Un. Real.

posted Hide Post
The plug for March scopes was nice, but I would like to know what accuracy he was getting at what range.

The stupidification goes even further, the Anzio rifle is chambered in 20mm or optionally in .50-20.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I apologize for the plug. But I was much more interested in the caliber and the rifle. When I was looking at the video at the Deon site, and saw those huge cartridges, I knew I had to post it here.

I went to the website that they show to see if there would be more videos about the rifle, the cartridge and, as you say, the accuracy downrange, but so far I have not found anything yet. If I do, I will surely post it here.