SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vortex scope issue won't go left enough *** EDIT FIXED **
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex scope issue won't go left enough *** EDIT FIXED ** Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Installed a Vortex Crossfire II 6x24x50 on my CZ 22 rifle. I lapped the rings and used the wheeler scope mounting systems to align the rings. Now off to the range to sight in. Shot 10 rounds and could not hit paper so I put up some copy paper to try and see where I was hitting. Finally aiming to the left of the target I got on paper as you can see from photo. The up/down adjustment seemed to work fine. The L/R is giving me an issue. I moved the adjustment all the way to the left and I am still off the target. I adjusted all the way to the right and it does move to the right, but only a few inches. I need to move almost a foot to the left and I can't get there. I can mail it in to factory, but was wondering if I am missing something????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redlickranch,

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've had similar trouble with an old Burris 6X24 scope. Burris has resisted me sending the scope back; they've insisted I use these to mount the scope.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/m.../xtr-signature-rings

Each ring set includes one set of the +/- 0 MOA concentric, one set each of the  +/-5 MOA and +/-10 MOA, and two sets of the +/-20 MOA.  With these inserts, it is possible to make 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 40 MOA of cant in the scope mount.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...560000084#6560000084

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I would say just do the obvious. Try the scope on another rifle. Try a different scope on your CZ. Try different rings.

One of the main reasons why anybody buys a Vortex these days is because of the no hassle warranty. Send it in and have them work it out if all else fails.

You have to try the basics first.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Like above ... You can try a different scope on that rifle to isolate if it's the scope.

If that isn't a possibility, next is to isolate if it's the bases or rings. You didn't mention if you've done this before or what components were used. I've seen where reversing the rings front to back, or even changing 180 in same position has made a difference. (yes, I agree it shouldn't but it has when something else is off)

All takes time, but is easier than waiting for a return especially if it the mount and not the scope. For the amount of distance you seem to be off, I'd suspect the mounting.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1989 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
In addition to checking the mounting points:

You didn't mention which CZ model you have and whether it is one of the models with iron sights. If it does have iron sights, I would want to check POA/POI using them, before sighting in the scope. I would expect a CZ to be reasonably accurate once it was properly sighted in, but ruling out any gross mechanical accuracy issues would be where I would want to start out.

- Did you confirm scope/ reticle perpendicularity to the rifle?

- Did you confirm the scope click adjustment range was truly centered in both windage and elevation, before attempting to zero the scope, to permit maximum allowable adjustment range?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

CZ has no iron sights. Old scope was a Charles Daly 4x12 and was dead on that I was shooting perfect scores with 30 out of 50 X's. I want to shoot out doors so I am upgrading scope to a 6x24. I am going to swap the bases today to see if it helps. I did move the right adjustment all the way to end and it only moves impact by about 6 inches. Whether I am all the way to right or left I can't imagine the impact would only allow 6 inches.

Scope Rings being used are high Millett Brand to work with the 50MM objective.

I'll double check alignment and try again.

********** This was my old set up.... *********

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
i have NO Knowledge on your issues except when i had a Problem with a Vortex scope Their customer Service was very Helpful

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Hmmm .... CZ rimfire. Don't some of these models have special groove width (11mm) ?? Perhaps someone with more experience can answer that question.

Have to ask. Which model is that, and does it have Did you purchase those Millet rings specific to grooves on your CZ model??

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1989 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
It's a 452 and yes I have the correct rings which were hard to find at the time. I just double checked the alignment of the the rings with the wheeler tools and they line up. Must be the scope.

NRA Life Member

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
When I had a problem with my Vortex scope it took just over a week from my email to them to new scope at my door.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The issue could well be the Vortex scope and, according to IndianaMike and powermad, it sounds like they have good customer service...

...but it seems rather silly to go through the hassle of returning the scope before doing due diligence and checking the basics.

I'm still not certain about the lapped rings, but let's assume for a moment that you've eliminated both gross rifle mechanical accuracy and the mounts as possible issues.

You still haven't answered the questions on whether you confirmed scope/reticle perpendicularity, and whether you confirmed the scope windage & elevation click adjustment range was truly centered before attempting to zero the scope to the rifle.

If the scope/ reticle isn't perpendicular, any attempts to adjust windage/ elevation will be off, and will cut into your max. adjust range. If the click adjustment range isn't centered before you attempt to zero the scope to the rifle then you may not have the full adjustment range available and, if that's the case, you might run into the very issue you are experiencing.

It's a fairly easy and quick process to verify these things before you decide to go the warranty route.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with a Vortex red dot for a pistol. Instead of windage, it was elevation.
Called them and they were very helpful. Sent it back and got a new one in exchange. Best customer service I've ever had.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I hope you don't mind me jumping into the thread, but I'm also having scope issues with the CZ455 I just bought. It came with a Tasco 3-9X40 scope (cheap but has ok online reviews) with rings already installed, but not mounted to the rifle (wouldn't fix in the box installed). I tightened the rings to 15 in/lbs & the mount to 30 in/lbs. Took it to the rimfire range today, couldn't hit shit @ 50 yds.

Since it has no irons, I brought another .22 with irons, which I did fine with. I normally shoot at the bench rest range @ 100 yds, but a match was being held there. I'm going to try again there next week before throwing $$$ at it. The question I have is: Are the scope rings correct for the 11mm dovetail? Here are pics:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a CZ452 American the best rings you can find are Talley vertical splits that are specifically for the American dovetail, which is supposed to be 3/8" but is actually too large for 3/8" rimfire rings. They will center the scope properly and maximize the adjustment range of your scope.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Update....

Scope was the issue, but also went with BKL Technologies Rings. I was able to hit just outside the bullseye on the first shot this time. Scope works great at 25 feet it really brings in the center dot. Groups should tighten up with a better rest I used a bipod for today's session.

NRA Life Member

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
This is gonna sound crazy, but turn the rings around and also put the front on the back. Sometimes it works.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post