SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    idiotic charging handle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

idiotic charging handle Login/Join 
posted
It seems like any useful and innovative AR15 parts or modifications apply to such a narrow audience nowadays that they are likely hardly profitable for their designers/manufacturers, but stuff like this will likely make a pretty penny. What a dumb thing to design/produce/sell/buy/use. I suppose everything has it's place, and I am likely out of touch with the target market for this particular item, but it I can't imagine what this charging handle has to offer.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...gen-charging-handle/

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
What's with the sharp corners on the handle?

Is that to dig into your hand for better traction?

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that to dig into your hand for better traction?
That; or to put a hole in your torso, so you can practice first aid.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Anyone who's ever been punched in the sternum or snagged your gear while doing active training with one of those yuge charging handles that were all the rage in the mid/late 2000s would know that this is not a good idea.

But I guess they're aiming for the portion of the market that wants their charging handle to look super-cool and also match their purse European man bag while plinking from the bench at the range.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah that is a little too big and pointy. I guess you can use it as an ice climbing tool if necessary.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I suspect that most AR shooters aren’t in any real danger of being impaled with that tanto blade, but for those of us who might be—what in the ever-lovin’, blue-eyed world was someone thinking of‽ What possible benefit is there to that pointy end?

Charging handles with extended operating latches have their place. I have at least three (without looking) on guns with large scopes because it makes it easier to engage them, and I just deal with the compromise between convenient size and the danger of being poked in the sternum. But mine have rounded ends on the latches that makes the impact less painful as well as allowing them to roll over protrusions on my gear rather than getting snagged.

Maybe the producers of that handle think that a distinctive look is the key to success, but good grief!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
That looks like two arms of a grappling hook.
I can see the need (like sigfreund) said if you have a bigger optic that might overhang the CH but for any other they are just pomp & circumstance. I have extended handles on a couple of mine but I've never had an issue with the GI style that has worked well for over 60 years.
Seriously. How often do you use the CH? Once to chamber a round then once to clear a round from the chamber & to mortar the rifle if a stoppage occurs. It mostly just sits there doing nothing.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The LEOs I train are required to keep the chambers of their patrol rifles empty in their vehicles, and therefore I include chambering a round from that condition in the courses I run. If not done properly it can result in malfunctions, and most of them never practice it except when required. I also practice it myself regularly even though it hurts my finger. Except to clear the scopes, though, I have resisted the temptation to get one of the extra large latches that would probably make it easier.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found that the larger charging handles have a tendency to snag on gear, shirts, and other miscellaneous stuff.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
On the plus side it's only $80. Some ambi charging handles can go north of $150.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sightly oversized one, ridged enough to work with just the palm of my left hand on my match rifles? Yes. Just an oversized latch on my 22 upper for the same reason, for sure. The rest of my uppers, nooop.

And as mentioned, good lord the prices. I occasionally will look at different ones out of curiosity, but nearly do the spit take when I see the price.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How is that "Snag-resistant technology" supposed to work? Those double-tantos look like the perfect thing to snag on something. Not to mention a good way to stab yourself in the eye when charging from the right side.

quote:
Snag-resistant technology; Tyrant CNC over-engineered the internal locking mechanism in order to create a snag-resistant mechanism. No longer will you be concerned about catching the handle on your chest rig, exposing your bolt in the process. The oversized levers make it easy to manipulate, even with gloves on.

NEXGEN CHARGING HANDLE

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I like the Radian CH's and have a couple.
Work well with gloves, the BHO not so much. I may get a couple with extended latches.
If I was to get another CH these are a bit less and look like they are decent.
https://breekarms.com/products...handle-by-breek-arms

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
To me, it's not the length of the handle's levers, it's the fact that the levers are essentially, as a previous poster noted, Tanto knife blades.

Extended length ambi charging handles are fine, but, that design is definately not for folks who carry AR's for a living/serious users (IMHO).

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It reminds me of what the people who made the Gumdam anime would come up with if they made a charging handle. Does it make that cool anime sound effect when you use it? <ziiing>

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Anyone who's ever been punched in the sternum or snagged your gear while doing active training with one of those yuge charging handles that were all the rage in the mid/late 2000s would know that this is not a good idea.

But I guess they're aiming for the portion of the market that wants their charging handle to look super-cool and also match their purse European man bag while plinking from the bench at the range.

Yup! BCM Gunfighter Medium is the way to go. Perfect size to grab when needed and does not snag or poke you.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
First impression is I would loose fingers on that edge trying to pull the handle back. I would hope there are no sharp edges on the handle, but without actually holding the item. I have doubts.

“over-engineering”

OK. I'm not sure this is a good selling point. I can think of many combat tested, over engineered systems that in 20/20 hindsight never should have left the drawing board. And very few that were right.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But…. But what if….

What if you were chasing Tangos (or indeed, any other assorted and or various ner do wells) across the tundra (like you do), and you suddenly realized that they have craftily scampered up a crevasse (or a ravine, or possibly a cleft or an arroyo) but in whatever case, some sort of a sudden emergency cliff climbing scenario has arisen (as it so often does)….

You won’t be laughing at me!

I simply pop the rear pin on my rifle, snatch out the charging handle, attach a length of paracord with a nifty knot, and….

Robert is your Brother’s Mother as they say across the pond!

I have an awesome grappling hook, and the day is saved as I heroically fling a line up to outflank them or some such tactical thing-bob.

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The emergency ice axe and grappling hook functionality is the only redeeming quality observed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
It reminds me of what the people who made the Gumdam anime would come up with if they made a charging handle. Does it make that cool anime sound effect when you use it? <ziiing>

That was my first impression, too.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post