SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are Ruger AR-15's Any Good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Ruger AR-15's Any Good? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I really want to buy my first AR-15 and an old school Colt AR15A4 that is modeled after my trusty Army M16A2 is on the list but I was checking out Ruger's offerings and they look pretty good as well.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the world of AR purchasing so any help here would be appreciated.

Budget is $1200

Thanks!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Coworker bought a complete/assembled upper & lower from Palmetto State Armory.
With shipping, tax & transfer, I think he was 'OTD' for around $700.

Rather plain jane, carbine gas, 16" with a front sight gas block. Can't remember if his came with a rear sight or not.

My 16" Mid-gas was less than your total budget (all self assembled) with panic pricing around the time of Sandy Hook.

To your OP, no personal experience with Ruger ARs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Coworker had a Ruger AR. IIRC, the delta ring was not a true delta ring. It was something that screwed on or off?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Don't have a Ruger, but I've not heard bad things about them. Usually hear they're pretty accurate for the price (which I also hear for the bolt rifles Ruger has been producing lately).

And for $1200, do you want that to be the all-in price, optics and accessories included, or just the base rifle price?

Not that helpful, but since you're in the area, I'm happy to bring out a selection of ARs if you want to try some variations out at a local range.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Coworker had a Ruger AR. IIRC, the delta ring was not a true delta ring. It was something that screwed on or off?

ruger uses a screw one 'delta ring' to hold the hanguards (on those models that have the 2 piece handguards)

they also have a proprietary front sight base, (on those models that do not use a gas block )

they are dependable, and just a basic AR,

they can be upgraded just like any other,

I have sold a ton of them, never sent one back

I do know of 2 that customers had issues with, but to clarify, it was not the AR 556, it was the customer,
one failed to clean his gun after he bought it (herr derr, it came with lube on it from the factory) once I told him he needed to field strip, swab the barrel, and lube, it worked fine,

the other was user issues with ammo, not the gun's issue

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
PASig, I had a Colt years ago; 16", 1 in 9, short gas system, round hand guard, etc. I recently bought a Ruger, 16" AR-556 free float model. The Colt was a good gun, but the Ruger just fits me better. I like having the M-Lok type hand guard with Picatinny rail, all the sight and other options options with this set up, beaver tail type pistol grip, and rounded trigger guard.

Any Good? Well, I'm certainly not an AR Guru, but at this point, have no complaints about the Ruger.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger's i have used and seen have been fine production guns.

The standard is a basic entry-level AR with ruger's normal level of quality. It will run, and it will go for a long time if you maintain it. They go up from there.

At one time Ruger had a piston-driven AR15 that I loved to shoot. I have not seen it in years.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003473964

I really like my POF piston guns. Every once in a while you can find a version of their 415 edge, in Magpul furniture, in 556 for under that 1200 bucks.
https://pof-usa.com/firearm/p415-edge/

They have a DI gun that looks pretty spiffy also
https://pof-usa.com/firearm/minuteman/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I feel like you’d really have to go out of your way to NOT get a half decent AR15 in the past 10 years or more.

I mean sure there is higher end stuff but there isn’t a ton of total crap out there either. The Rugers I’ve handled were decent rifles IMO. Now my opinion doesn’t involve HALO’ing out of a C141 into a foreign oceans and assaulting a beach so YMMV. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion a Ruger AR will treat you right.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on the fence regarding Ruger's AR-15 until I went to their Armorer School.

Like most of us here we have an affinity for certain brands, and styles and I am no different. I am an FN person through and through but thank god Uncle Sam issues me one because I cannot afford one.

I have not heard any problems regarding their AR and they were reasonably priced.

Once I get back to work and my money situation squared away I plan to buy one.

I also would not hesitate to carry it on patrol.
(If I ever go back to LE.)

Another plus for Ruger is that they have great customer service. Any time I have ever had a problem they bend over backwards to help.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only AR-15 is a Ruger MPR, and for the price I love it (this is my only Ruger firearm, so I am not a fanboy)! I like the upgraded trigger and the longer 18” barrel. It is a bit heavier than some of the pricier brands but has a nice set of features, is relatively slim and very accurate and dependable. IIRC I paid about $900 at Cabelas during the height of the pandemic early this year, so it should be well within your budget.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When prices were good a few years ago, I bought a Ruger AR15 for under $500. Seem solid to me and currently my BIL is using it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920s are running around $900 at a few places.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As has been discussed adnauseum here. Skip Colt these days and go directly to FN. Ymmv

Nothing wrong a Ruger but would go another route with your budget.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have one (purchased 2018) and it has never had a stoppage of any kind. It was $549 then; it won't be now.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
As has been discussed adnauseum here. Skip Colt these days and go directly to FN. Ymmv

I saw an FN yesterday with the Hodge copy wedge lock handguard. Mid-length with pinned gas block too. If I didn't build my own AR's I'd be interested. Colt's continued use of 16" carbine gas barrels rules them out for me completely. I "might" be interested in a mid-length Colt with the Centurian handgaurd, but that's about it.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
With a budget of $1,200.00, I don't know why Ruger would even be a consideration.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerod
posted Hide Post
Older Colt , Daniel Defense , FN or LMT would be my choice. With $1200 you should be able to snag one of these. Not to say that others are not good as well . Old school ex Army guy here that was messed with AR's for 35 plus years. Good luck!

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229

Posts: 168 | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

I saw an FN yesterday with the Hodge copy wedge lock handguard. Mid-length with pinned gas block too. If I didn't build my own AR's I'd be interested. Colt's continued use of 16" carbine gas barrels rules them out for me completely. I "might" be interested in a mid-length Colt with the Centurian handgaurd, but that's about it.

That's the new FN15 TAC3, about $1500
https://fnamerica.com/press-re...-of-ar-style-rifles/

Looks to be a really solid rifle for the money.
Mid length gas CHF, chrome lined barrel and has parts that I like to use like the Radian charging handle and safety selector installed already.

As to the Ruger AR15, most of the complaints that I see on the Ruger forum are new shooter stuff and not knowing how their stuff works.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
Have a couple friends who swear by them.

On our shoots, they perform as well as any other entry level AR.

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post