SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on Home Defense Shotgun Stock Design - Full Straight Stock or Full Stock with Pistol Grip built In
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Home Defense Shotgun Stock Design - Full Straight Stock or Full Stock with Pistol Grip built In Login/Join 
posted
Wanted to ask for thoughts and comments (advantages/disadvantages) on the utilization of these two style stocks. I will never use a “pistol grip” style stock but I have the option to use either of the two aforementioned stock styles on my Benelli M2 Tactical, which is my home defense gun.

LEO - I would also greatly appreciate your comments/feedback/recommendations also as without question LEO’s have their hands on an assault shotgun more than most anyone else, other than some competition shooters. Thanks

Posts: 3375 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a Benelli M2, full stock, pistol grip. I used it like that mostly for coyote hunting, then a little for turkey. It worked great for that, very good control. I think the barrel is 24”.

I currently have a regular stock on it, no pistol grip. The plan was to rotate it more for grouse hunting & such. For home defense type use I could go either way, with or without the grip.

For any skimming by, this is the Benelli ‘steady-grip’, full stock with a near vertical grip of sorts. It’s not the pistol gripped shotgun made for the mall ninja.

Posts: 6440 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the normal, non-pistol grip stocks. I feel like I get more control with the regular stocks.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 547 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the pistol grip type. I find the recoil is better managed with this stock. And sometimes my cheek weld is too far forward on a conventional stock when under pressure and I end up having the big knuckle of my thumb punch me in the face when the gun fires. This cant occur with pistol grip stocks. YMMV.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16413 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Winchester Defender came with some pistol grip/stock conversion on it. I swapped that for a black regular stock. Growing up with shotguns, the regular stock felt more natural.

I don’t think the other was bad, it just felt weird.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2397 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
On all of my shotguns, no pistol grip.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17243 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I prefer traditional stocks.

I do have one shotgun with a pistol grip on its stock, my Beretta 1201FP. That's because stock options are extremely limited for those, and the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock was the best out of the limited stock options, despite being a pistol gripped stock. But if it was available without the pistol grip, I'd have gone with that.

Posts: 33157 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My '97 Riot doesn't need a pistol grip.

Posts: 388 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Learned from 3 different guns that I very much dislike them. They only add negatives for me.

Posts: 21418 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A nice inbetween is the magpul stock. To me it feels like the best of both worlds, but I got rid of my pistol grip stock. I got a lot more cheek slap with it vs the magpul

Posts: 3395 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. These responses are enough for me to move forward with purchasing a non-pistol grip full stock for my M2 to give it a try.

My plan will be to swap it out once it arrives and hit the range a couple of times to see how it feels and how I can manage it around the limited barricades we have at the club. I will also continue to train here at home with my dummy rounds.

Having grown up shooting my old regular traditional stock Ithaca Model 37 pump shotgun for 20+ years and then buying a Benelli SBE with a traditional stock also about 20 years ago for dove, quail, and duck hunting, I am used to the standard non-pistol grip stocks.

Having received the Benelli M2 Tactical as a gift from my wife and son about a year ago, it came with the full size pistol grip stock..I have had it long enough now that trying a different stock will not be viewed as me “not liking” the gift they gave me.

Thanks again to each of you for taking time to share your thoughts, reasonings, and photos.

Posts: 3375 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
One of the (many) things I find ironic about firearms terminology is that the term “pistol grip” originally applied to what is being called a “regular” stock today. At one time that was to distinguish them from rifles and shotguns that had “straight” stocks, i.e., no swell for the palm to rest against.

What people are calling pistol grips now are what Jeff Cooper referred to as “saw handle” grips. I gather that he wasn’t a fan of the style and probably for the same reason I have: The grip moves the shooter’s hand down farther from the centerline of the gun and it’s just like using a “donkey dick” vertical foregrip on an AR. Grasping the gun closer to the centerline provides better control over mounting and aiming the firearm more quickly and surely. Do any (top) trap/skeet shooters use shotguns with a saw handle grip or VFG?

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47759 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My one and only shotgun, a Mossberg 500 has had a Butler creek folding stock on it for about 25 years.

I've shot skeet with it and did ok with it.
It doesn't extract every time now and is due for some maintenance.
I keep thinking I'll upgrade to a semi but never have.

Posts: 1546 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I generally prefer pistol gripped stocks for LE work. The biggest reason for me is that they potentially allow better grip on the weapon and a better ability to maintain control of the weapon in the case of an attempted take away. Whereas home defense is likely best accomplished by getting to your loved ones and protecting them from a static position that gives you an advantage, police work often involves more offensive work such as clearing rooms, etc. Sound tactics and good movement will reduce the vast percentage of threats that officers face but there are ways that a well trained foe can hide in blind spots, etc. In the event of an attempted take away of a long gun, I want to be able to suck that weapon in and minimize any leverage advantage that the person trying to take it away is going to have. In my opinion, the pistol grip is the better tool for that purpose.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5628 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick42
posted Hide Post
Pistol grip stocks on shotguns probably have the most value in close-quarter combat use, like shooting around a corner, and breeching doors, or in an emergency having to shoot with one hand. A traditional stock would be pretty hard on your wrist with the crazy angles and stresses involved. The pistol grip probably offers some fatigue reduction when carried for longer periods of time with out being slinged.

For bird and clay shooting, I agree that a traditional stock is best. I have never seen a pistol gripped shotgun being used on sporting clay or skeet fields in a match, over many years.

Except, I did try out a Benelli M4 on a skeet field once for grins. I stood at the 1st position under the high house. I asked the trapper to pull 5 clays as fast as he could. After he pulled the last of the five, with all of them flying straight away, I began firing at the clays far to near. Crushed them all, super fast. Great fun. Then the trapper wanted his turn.

Also for sporting clays and trap, you want a longer barrels for a longer sight radius and a lengthened forcing cone. For skeet the shorter barrels are just fine.

Posts: 65 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've tried 3 or 4 different pistol grip stocks on my 870 and wound up dumping all of them in favor of the Magpul SGA. My right wrist is still weak from a fracture that happened when I was a teenager, and the impact from recoil is both painful (after a few rounds) and destabilizing. I shoot better with a conventional stock. They do look kinda cool, but they just don't work well for me.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
One of the (many) things I find ironic about firearms terminology is that the term “pistol grip” originally applied to what is being called a “regular” stock today. At one time that was to distinguish them from rifles and shotguns that had “straight” stocks, i.e., no swell for the palm to rest against.

I always find this a bit amusing also.

Reading the title of this thread, especially the Full Straight Stock description lead me to envision this:

...which coupled with a 18" barrel on a Remington 870 or 1100 makes for a very handy HD gun

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14256 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
HD shotguns don't always need stocks

Posts: 4228 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well mine is an SBS, but I really love my Mossberg M90A1 with traditional grip.

Posts: 1691 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For home/interior clearing work I prefer the pistol grip, but just in general use I prefer the standard stock.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 996 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post