SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations for a short 10/22 stock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a short 10/22 stock Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Last time we were at the inlaws I let my youngest daughter (5 1/2 years old) shoot for the first time.

When we were there for Christmas, she asked several times if she could go shooting with me. I only brought 556 SBR's and my MPX SBR. I let her attempt to shoot a few rounds of sub sonics out of the MPX and that seemed to satisfy her.

I would like to find a super short youth stock for my 10/22. The picture below is when she shot my father in laws CZ youth 22LR back in October. As you can see, even the youth stock on this gun is too big for her. I've considered getting one of those cricket 22LR single shot rifles, but I'm not sure if that would be any shorter. I have a cmmg 22 drop in conversation kit. I could put that in one of my 10" uppers with a collapsible stock. But I think that would be too heavy for her.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
As cheap as a take off stock is, maybe just buy a used one and cut it down?

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure the Crickett (or Rascal) will be significantly shorter. Also, they are better options for a child that young. In my opinion of course.

If it has to be a 10-22, then I agree with buying someone’s take-off and cutting it down.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
I’m pretty sure the Crickett (or Rascal) will be significantly shorter. Also, they are better options for a child that young. In my opinion of course.

If it has to be a 10-22, then I agree with buying someone’s take-off and cutting it down.

What did you have in mind? I brought up the 10/22 because it's the only one I wouldn't mind if it was modified. It's one of the newer ones with the plastic barrel bands, so nothing special. I also have a Browning SA-22 and an old Remington Viper that I had as a kid.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

What did you have in mind?

The Rascal or the Crickett. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my boy was little I bought a takedown Stevens Favorite made by Savage. It was dirt cheap, takes apart to a small package, falling breech block so really safe, pretty good little rifle.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

What did you have in mind?

The Rascal or the Crickett. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that.

No, you did. My brain wasn't working correctly at 2am Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I’m figuring this out for my nephew as well. I was thinking of getting a new factory stock and just using a band saw to cut off a few 1 or 1 1/2 in. Sections and then drill through and install some long bolts so I can add more as he grows.
If you can’t do that then I’d get something you can add an AR buffer tube to and a ar stock. Then get a bipod so it can be shot from a bench. My nephew is around 8 and is a solid kid and his 10/22 is still pretty heavy for him to hold up. I’d either do that or just get a Cricket

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a cricket precision rifle for my boys and it is indeed shorter. I also bought an extra 10/22 takedown stock. They are available super cheap online because of all the aftermarket stocks. I cut it down and fabricated a simple squishy buttpad so my smaller kids could use it.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
As cheap as a take off stock is, maybe just buy a used one and cut it down?

This. Find the cheapest 10/22 stock for your gun that you can get and chop it. Make friends with closed cell foam and duct tape.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make an AR/M4-style collapsible stock for this gun? The fully collapsed position might be short enough, then it can be lengthened as the child grows.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I re-built my 10/22 for my son and used a Blackhawk stock on it so LOP can be adjusted as he grows. I’ve seen photos of it used with the standard barrel instead of the heavy profile barrel. I ended up changing out the barrel for a Tac-Sol barrel. It’s incredibly light and accurate, perfect for shooters with limited upper body strength.

Posts: 176 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the help guys. I think I'm going to get a crickett rifle for her. As a dealer I can get one for $130. I would spend close to that buying another stock for the 10/22.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That Blackhawk stock is sweet!
We have a few years though before we have to make that decision for my 6-month old grandson. For the granddaughters, my daughter hasn't come around yet to being gun-friendly.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Magpul makes a stock you can shorten by removing sections. As she grows, add them back.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post