SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on semi-auto bullpup 12ga shotguns for HD?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on semi-auto bullpup 12ga shotguns for HD? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
I was intrigued by the intro of the MP12 recently. If I recall from the review in American Rifleman, it would hold 23 short rounds in a pretty tight package, which had some theoretical appeal. If it had been a semi-auto, I'd probably grab one.

I have a PS 90 and found I really like the bullpup approach. But, until I read the MP12 review, I hadn't really thought about a bullpup shotgun before. I see there are some potential solutions out there.

Does anyone currently have a semi-auto bullpup they like that is reliable enough for HD use? Would love to hear some thoughts on the various bullpup 12 ga.

Application would be for home defense. Most likely would get loaded with short cartridges in a mix of slugs and shot.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any perspectives that you can share.

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KSG is the best option, IMO, if a compact, high capacity shotgun is the goal. Semi-auto, box-fed bullpups are mostly chinsy, cheesy, gimmicky, Turkish turds. That's not to say they don't work.

Posts: 2148 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Having recently spent time with a beretta 1301, I can say 100% that while I would take a semi over a pump, it’s not at all because it’s faster. More so because it removes a point for error.

Unloading 7 rounds in 2.5 seconds is near impossible to control, and leaves you basically defenseless.

So it’s a yes on 12 ga. A yes on whatever design you want, so long as it’s reliable. And a yes on learning to control the semi auto 12 ga. Because it’ll require considerable practice.

None of this may apply to you but spending time at the range with one was quite eye opening as to its potential and required familiarity.

At home defense ranges, I’m confident ANY 12 ga round would suffice, we cut down a 4” pine with little more than one tube of bird shot. It was quite impressive to see before expansion. Obviously you wouldn’t use this but it’s more to say don’t fret over round choice.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one question is whether the semi-auto bullpups will feed the short rounds as reliably as the pump MP12 does. That may throw out all of the mag fed bullpups because it’s unlikely the Minishells will work in mags designed for full length shells. What’s out there for tube fed semi-auto shotguns, except the IWI TS-12 and the UTAS-15? I looked at the TS-12 and thought it was very bulky.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
12 gauge bullpup used indoors for home defense might be a ticket to a hearing aid.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local shop had a bullpup KSG 25. 12+12+1. It's as long as long as a normal shotgun:

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend the Tavor TS12.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insights.

I have a regular-length (39" overall) auto 12ga already that handles 7+1 long rounds (930 SPX) and was thinking that something both shorter and with an option to use shorter rounds to up the capacity might be interesting.

It sounds like I have the choice of either accepting the idea of a pump or giving up on short cartridges. Need to scratch my head a while longer.

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post