SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for a new AR upper.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a new AR upper. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Out of stock” was a factor I considered when looking on my own. Not that I believe in jinxes, but now that you’ve mentioned it ( Wink ), I’m hoping I don’t get a “Oops, sorry …” email from Wilson Combat.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It’s good to know about your experiences with different bullets. One reviewer about WC guns I read said that his didn’t like lighter bullets for some reason. It could have just been a comparison thing (“The best I can get with 55 grains is 1/2 MOA, but 75s are good for a quarter”), but it was something that caught my eye even though I tend to rely on heavier bullets for precision.

When I see something along the lines of you note "only good for 1/2, but others I can get 1/4" -- well, there are salty, snarky responses. Probably something like "all day long, when I do my part" from the same shooter, too. Such shooters typically have spectacularly accurate groups every blue moon or two, then consider them the standard for that gun. The remaining gazillion results tend to be flawed only as a result of called flyers....but we won't talk about them.

55 VMax isn't a precision bullet, but some well-balanced flat-base 55 grain bullets are known for great accuracy at 100-yard bench rest. The challenge of producing great results at distances of 300-500 yards is the low B.C. of the 55 VMax. On rare dead-calm days, Hornady 55 Vmax will pretty much hang neck & neck with FGMM 69 and Hornady 73-75 in my rifles.

Some of the tightest 100-yard groups that came from my Wilson Combat 18" fluted Recon 1/7 twist AR15 were from Hornady 55 Vmax and HSM Berger 50 Match Varmint loads. But I saw more consistently accurate groups from quality 69-77 grain loads, especially as distance increased. Still, I shot 55 Vmax in this now-retired barrel out to 500-ish yards in training. This is one of the reasons I call B.S. when web charts you shouldn't use 55 grain in 1/7 twist barrels.

But I suspect you're getting a 1/8 twist barrel -- a twist rate which seems to be very happy with just about any weight of a quality bullet.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LaRue would be my personal go to for a precision out of the box upper.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I always thought the best all-around AR you could have is a 16" mid-length. So that was my priority years ago when I bought a BCM upper. Perfect with an ACOG.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BB61:
Remember that many of the better manufacturers are months to who knows when out. For example, I want a LMT upper. That is not going to happen from what I can see unless I buy used. Spikes is about a year out last I checked. [QUOTE]

Not sure what barrel length you're looking for but they are in stock here: https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/975/

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at a SIG 516 gen 2 upper if you can find one, some are out there. I bought a 14.5" upper and it now sits idle until I get out and shoot it. It is a heavy beast with the picatinny rail from SIG on it. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and lots of reports of great accuracy out of them. Better than anyone expected. But again, I have not shot mine to verify how mine is. I know it will shoot better than I can, so not worried to much about it.

Edit to add: It was a contract overrun from SIG. They are still making them, and they pop up for this reason from time to time. I got it from AIM Surplus in mid 2020. I have seen them randomly since then a couple of times.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually own a SIG 516 upper. Yes, very good accuracy (particularly for a piston) and a great gun. They were selling a year ago for under $600 at Optics Planet, although it took them about 6 months to ship it. At that price they are an absolute steal.

However, I think they are going to be very hard to find now - particularly at a discount price. And, they are heavy.

Don't think OP said anything about a piston, so I'm not sure a 516 with it's added weight and proprietary bolt would be the best choice. Now, if they wanted to shoot suppressed, I'd be all over this. Or I'd take a hard look at a PWS.

In a DI gun I think LaRue makes a great upper and they are a pretty good value. I also really like Daniel Defense. And although I have no personal experience with one, a Geissele upper, particularly if you can pick up a blem. or one that's on sale would also be a good choice.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I always thought the best all-around AR you could have is a 16" mid-length. So that was my priority years ago when I bought a BCM upper. Perfect with an ACOG.

Tony.

And with a mid length fixed FSB you can affix a bayonet. Because what else is the lug for?

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Tony.

And with a mid length fixed FSB you can affix a bayonet. Because what else is the lug for?

I attached a bi pod to mine.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have ARs at different ends of the spectrum as far as their capability for high precision. A couple get used for relatively close distances (up to ~100 yards) and IDPA-sized targets. They have Aimpoint red dot sights that are adequate for the purposes. At the other end is a JP Precision that’s capable of routinely delivering sub-MOA groups with IMI 77 grain OTM ammunition.

I’m thinking I’d like something in between those two ends, but I don’t want to purchase an entirely new rifle. I’d like a higher quality complete upper that I could switch onto the Colt LE6920 lowers I have now.

(I know an option would be to get a receiver and install a good barrel myself, but I don’t want to do that.)

Suggestions?

I had 2 uppers built by Retro Arms Works for precision purposes. All parts sourced by me from V7 and Douglas.

I used this upper:

https://www.vsevenweaponsystem...7-m4-upper-assembly/

With this rail in 15 and 16” length:

https://www.vsevenweaponsystem...ed-keymod-handguard/

Barrels were V7 16” 1/7 poly and the other was a Douglas MK12 barrel.

If you’re looking for something “in between”, maybe a 14.5” with the above rail and upper setup to resemble a RECCE style rifle. One thing I like about the V7 barrels is they have a lifetime warranty, even if you shoot the barrel out they’ll replace it.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post