SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My two new precision rifles (Or, the unfathomable kindness of Weshowe)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My two new precision rifles (Or, the unfathomable kindness of Weshowe) Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
So a while ago I was/am planning on cutting a new barrel for a long range precision long action rifle. Somewhere along the line, I was talking to Wes about my plans to either chamber up a 300 PRC or a 6.5-284. At some point he says to me "Why don't I just send you my GA Precision Hospitaller." I asked "Like to test, or to keep?" He says "To keep."

Wes knows I don't have the cash to buy it outright and I asked him if he was sure he wanted to do this. He said he was sure. I asked if I could at least pay for shipping and he said yes. In addition, he sent me his blueprinted Remington 700 in a McMillan stock with a Kreiger barrel chambered in 223 Ackley. He said it was a gift for my 13 year old son.

I have a previous history with the GA precision. A few years ago I was invited to a 900 yard shoot and I took my M14's. I also had a JAE-700 chassis but no action for it and Wes loaned me his GA precision to try out during my shoot. I took it out of the Manners stock and installed it in the JAE. The thing shot like a laser beam and I cleaned a "test your limits" target at 400 yards with ease. I shot it out to 900 yards with ease. My son shot it out to 600 yards and he was only 10 at the time.
Here he is shooting it 3 years ago...

The bottom rifle in this pic is the GAP

After the trip, I put it back in the Manners and gave it back. I have since sold the JAE and now regret it. I'll shoot it in the Manners stock and have fun with it.

Well, they arrived today and after getting my M14 work done, I did some musical scopes and transferred my MK5HD to the GAP and a Vortex Diamondback to the 700. Both rifles have heavy 26" barrels.

I only have extra high rings for my MK5, so I'll have to order some mediums or lows to bring the scope down a bit. It'll work for now though.

I don't have ammo for the 6.5x284 yet, but I'll be taking the 223 out in the next 2 days and then shooting 600 on Thursday.

Thanks Wes! I appreciate your kindness and friendship! We'll exercise these rifles like they're supposed to be!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have ammo for the 6.5x284 yet …

If for no other reason than obtaining cases for reloading, can you buy ammo for this cartridge?

Posts: 27990 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
I don't have ammo for the 6.5x284 yet …

If for no other reason than obtaining cases for reloading, can you buy ammo for this cartridge?

Yes. Fortunately, you only need a small amount of cases before you burn the barrel out. Reloading is your friend for this cartridge.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony(Benny 6) and all,

I'll be shipping ammo, dies, and accessories this week. You'll be set. To be sure.

Would love to match the 6.5 X .284 Norma against my .284 Winchester. That would REALLY be fun!

Wes

Posts: 2430 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post