SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's wrong with 'Generation 1' P Mags?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's wrong with 'Generation 1' P Mags? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
My conglomeration of magazines needs organization.

Are original P Mags a problem? How do I recognize them?

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I assume we’re referring to magazines for 223/5.56.
If so, I found that the earliest magazines my agency had were a little wider than subsequent versions and were a tighter fit in some magwells. In particular, they were so wide that they would not drop free from a couple of my agency's early manufacture S&W AR-15 type rifles that had magwells that were on the narrow side. I am not aware of other issues except that the floor plates of MagPul magazines were changed at one time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some of the early generation colored magazines were a bit more prone to cracking, especially down the spine or around the feed lips, reportedly due to the formulation of the colored polymers.

That's partly what led to the eventual discontinuation of the colored PMAGs, then later reintroduction of reformulated Sand and Coyote PMAGs, whose polymer now reportedly offers similarly robustness as Black.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
They also will not work with guns like the SCAR, HK MR556 (416) etc.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I was always an Okay aluminum mag user. Gen 1 pmags are VERY tight in my old Aero lowers.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have 8 or 9 of these and they are too tight in the mag well to drop free from most of my ARs. IIRC, this was the most common compaint about these mags back then.

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you look at PMAGS, they have a little circle on the side with a revision number. Some of their mags have been revised 20,30 times or so. Every subsequent revision is an improvement in the mag. Dimensional changes, new polymer formula, etc.

In my opinion, older mags, while reliable, should probably be relegated to range mags. For defense, stick with later mags that have the latest revisions. Just my opinion. They wouldn’t be revising mags and making a better product if they didn’t think they were making worthwhile improvements.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If you look at PMAGS, they have a little circle on the side with a revision number. Some of their mags have been revised 20,30 times or so. Every subsequent revision is an improvement in the mag. Dimensional changes, new polymer formula, etc.

In my opinion, older mags, while reliable, should probably be relegated to range mags. For defense, stick with later mags that have the latest revisions. Just my opinion. They wouldn’t be revising mags and making a better product if they didn’t think they were making worthwhile improvements.

Pretty much this.
There's nothing wrong with 1st Gen PMags on a whole.
yes, some won't drop free from the magwell and they need a little tug, the feed lips were a little weak, the follower was just a little off. But each and every problem was corrected as Magpul became aware.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post