SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for a scout scope mounting solution for full length A2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a scout scope mounting solution for full length A2 Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
As above, interested in mounting optics on a full length A2 without having a scope high atop the carry handle. Has anyone had opportunity to do something similar, or am I chasing a unicorn here? I do not want to change out my upper for a flat top- when optics are not in place, I want it as close to A2 config as possible. I'm leaning toward a Quad that does nor require me to remove the gas tube to install a free floating system.

Would it be less painful to just gat a carry handle mount and live with the scope to bore axis disparity?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A drop-in quad rail likely won't hold zero.

If you're just wanting to add a red dot, you could get a cantilever optic mount for your carry handle.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
What kind of optic?

You said scope so I presume, not a red dot.

You are chasing a unicorn. You could put an ACOG in the carry handle and deal with the chin weld and extreme amount of offset.

Mounting an optic on a railed hand guard is not conducive to consistent accuracy, and not workable with many optics that have finite eye relief.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue- I thought that a cantilever might be my only other option. I really was interested in wringing out my FN upper for accuracy. Perhaps sticking to open sights and focusing on a flat top upper build would be a better plan.

Indiana, yes a scope would be my choice but it may not be practical the more I think about it. I know the ACOG setup was the hot ticket back in the day. I've had scoped AR's in the past and it can be a little awkward. Carry handle mounts are cheap, so maybe I'll try that route again for grins.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Perhaps sticking to open sights and focusing on a flat top upper build would be a better plan.

I bought a KNS aperture front sight back when I shot limited division. pulled out the course crosshair and soldered in a very fine single wire front sight post inside the aperture.

It was capable of GREAT precision.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
But yes I think you would be happier with a separate flat top upper for optics.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I really was interested in wringing out my FN upper for accuracy. Perhaps sticking to open sights and focusing on a flat top upper build would be a better plan.

Yep. You want wring out the FN upper for accuracy? Shoot more with those sights. Then shoot more, then repeat.

You want to produce great accuracy at many distances? Build/buy a good flattop upper and mount a quality scope on it.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have long wondered if the KNS aperture sights are conducive to an improvement in accuracy. I have an upper that has the front post turned to a point. Accuracy is much better than the standard flat top post. Perhaps the KNS will be the first stop.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have long wondered if the KNS aperture sights are conducive to an improvement in accuracy. I have an upper that has the front post turned to a point. Accuracy is much better than the standard flat top post. Perhaps the KNS will be the first stop.

The standard crosshairs that were in mine were too coarse. When I removed them and soldered in a very skinny wire front post, it was very very precise and the hood protected the wire.

posted Hide Post
The top mount in Rogue’s post is what was originally issued in the Army when the Aimpoint CCOs first hit IN units. So, that one would both fill your need and keep your A2 clone-ish looking especially with a Comp M2 or Aimpoint PRO model.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post