SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Should I keep them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I keep them? Login/Join 
posted
Due to life circumstances and rising cost of living I can't afford to shoot my AR's any more, I have a couple thousand rounds on hand. I been loosing ground for a few years, divorce, buying my son a car, etc. Should I keep my AR's or should I sell them?

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They're not costing you any money keeping them. And with all that's going on at the moment politically, I sure wouldn't be getting rid of them. I sold something that I saw as pile of money just sitting, mostly unused, but figured I could always buy another one. About a month later the Safe Act got dropped on us, and that was that.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep them well oiled and stored even if the budget isn't currently present for range ammo.

With some of the recent proposed legislation, these may be harder to get in the future until the court can slap down such infringements.

These aren't costing you anything to keep. Plenty of other items would be up for sale before I would personally consider selling guns.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you are at the point you just flat need the money.
Sell all but one, get an extra BCG, and small parts kit.

If you don’t flat need the money keep 2.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Keep at least two. I have a 20" and an SBR. Bases are covered when going to the range. And unless the AWB is worse than advertised and it passes, buying uppers should still be possible.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When I was a little kid, my Dad told me to never sell a gun. For the most part I've taken that advice and only sold 2 guns of mine over the years. One that didn't group rounds, it patterned them and one I sold to a friend who was after me to sell him one for a number of years before I gave in.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
An asset is an asset. Would I ever be completely without one or 2...no. If I needed money....sure. I've been when you're at recently....Many handguns went down the road. Why...because they were a luxury. Guns/ammo are a viable commodity. Buy low, sell high. In fact, dollar for dollar....ammo and magazines are a better investment. Id sell excess Ar's and use part of the funds to purchase a stripped lower..... just in case you want to rebuild in the future.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I mean, how many do you have?

If you don't shoot them, there doesn't seem to be much reason to keep multiples. But I wouldn't sell all of them.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what makes you happy. You might be able to trade/sell them and get something you might really want. If I don't have a use for something at this time in my life, I get what I can use/want instead.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Something to consider, is when looking at selling, is first have a list of what do you need. When I first got into shooting, I read an article that a hunter needed only four guns: a quality .22 for practice/small game. A .22-250 for varmints, a .30 (either -06 or .308) for deer, and a 12ga for birds or places rifles are not allowed for hunting. The article was written by a Fudd for Fudds, But did plant the nugget on looking at what I need for shooting, what do I have, and would that new gun really give me something that I don't have already? My bases have been covered for some time, and I've picked up a few nice to haves that I don't really need, and now the safe is rather full. So any new purchases will have to either an upgrade to a gun I would sell, or some collector piece/grail gun.

Just make sure anything you sell that in 5-10 years you will not be kicking yourself for letting that one go.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You said you can't afford to shoot them, yet you have several thousand rounds for them...seems like it wouldn't cost much to go keep them, and shoot them, as the ammo is already paid for. Also, .223 is cheap...I recently built an M16 clone just because I wanted an iron-sighted service rifle in my collection to shoot out to 200 yards without having to pay for .30-06.

You kinda missed the boat on making money on them, too. The time to sell would have been 2 years ago...you didn't specify exactly what you have, but ARs aren't moving right now like they were back when COVID started. If it's a homebuilt, or a budget rifle like a PSA or an Anderson, you might not be able to move it at all, much less hope to get your money out of it.

Personally, I'd hold on to them for now. They're not costing you anything, and if the market goes nuts again you will have an easier time selling them off and maybe see a better return.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Keep one, plus 300 rds. You will be fine in the long run. Sell everything else.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You said you can't afford to shoot them, yet you have several thousand rounds for them...seems like it wouldn't cost much to go keep them, and shoot them, as the ammo is already paid for. Also, .223 is cheap...I recently built an M16 clone just because I wanted an iron-sighted service rifle in my collection to shoot out to 200 yards without having to pay for .30-06.

You kinda missed the boat on making money on them, too. The time to sell would have been 2 years ago...you didn't specify exactly what you have, but ARs aren't moving right now like they were back when COVID started. If it's a homebuilt, or a budget rifle like a PSA or an Anderson, you might not be able to move it at all, much less hope to get your money out of it.

Personally, I'd hold on to them for now. They're not costing you anything, and if the market goes nuts again you will have an easier time selling them off and maybe see a better return.

I have a BCM that has hight quality mods (A5 buffer system, Geissele trigger, etc. I also have a LWRC DI, both factory rifles.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude take some of that ammo crack an case a go shot a few hundred rounds. Then do it again in a few months. You will smile be happy and have satisfied an itch will keep them both.

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post