SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig MPX 4.5” vs. 8” barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig MPX 4.5” vs. 8” barrel Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’m thinking about SBR’ing one of these for home defense use. Is there any significant velocity increase in an 8” barrel over the 4.5” (in 9mm?) The 4.5” would be handier, especially with a can on it. Seems like there was a website somewhere with various calibers and barrel length/ velocity, etc. ?

Thanks!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Google “Ballistics by the inch”.
I was kind of surprised at the velocity difference between a 16” and 10” gun.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir. That’s the site!

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
when adding a suppressor, the 4" barrel is better. especially with a short suppressor like the Omega 9K to keep the OAL short.

but I know that essentially, I am only going to get the same bullet effectiveness of my G19 - same bullet, same barrel length- but with much greater accuracy coming from a shouldered sub-gun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
According to the ballistics by the inch site, I’d gain approximately 100 FPS in the 8” over the 4.5. Not to terribly significant

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Is one-fifth greater energy significant?

As an example using the standard pressure 124 grain Gold Dot load from a 4.4" barrel, the muzzle energy is 340 ft-lb. Increasing the velocity by 100 fps raises the ME to 404 ft-1b, a 19% increase. Energy is what enables projectiles to do damage to their targets: more energy = more damage.

Of course, there are those who claim to believe that energy differences in handgun projectiles make no difference to wounding effects. For them manufacturers should produce weapons chambered for less powerful and intimidating cartridges such as the 32 S&W or even 25 ACP; if produced in quantity, such rounds would be less expensive and easier to shoot.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post