SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Kentucky Rifle Purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kentucky Rifle Purchase Login/Join 
posted
Experts,

I am interested in purchasing a Kentucky rifle. A solid historical example. I don’t need. Museum piece but certainly want something authentic.

What should I be looking for ?

Price is 2/3 thousand bucks.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We actually have a U.S. Gov’t issue Civil War M-L, stamped 1863, 58 cal. I don’t have the specifics right here, it was made under contract, ‘Springfield’ model.

With any M-L/black powder gun the 1st area of concern is bore condition. As most know, any gun shooting black powder takes special care. If looking in person, I’d try to drop a ‘bore light’ down the barrel.

Of course with anything, price & intended use factor in. If the price is right, a few minor negatives may be OK.

Just as a price reference, our M-L from the 1860’s in rather decent shape was about $2100. Yes, we’ve shot it, did fine.of course I cleaned it well after shooting.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's funny, when I saw this thread I immediately knew my answer! A rifle I came close to buying (having built). And now for the life of me I can't remember the make. lmao

I backed away from the idea when I realized my eyes were not up to the task anymore. Frown I guess my eyes aren't the only thing going.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike bought me a kit when I was recovering from surgery. It was a Jim Chambers Rifle. I absolutely love it.

The key with a flintlock is using real black powder. The other stuff doesn’t light up as quickly as real BP does.

http://www.flintlocks.com/

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hunting? Target shooting? Hanging on the wall? Flint? Percussion? Any particular region or school?

First, I would recommend going to the Track of the Wolf website just to look at the pictures of the guns for sale in order to get a better idea of what you might be interested in.

Second, go to the American Longrifle Forums website and join. You'll be able to ask questions of guys that have experience building, hunting, and competing with authentic longrifles, as well as seeing what's available in the "for sale" section.

With the budget you've listed, you'll be able to get a quality piece IF you know what quality looks like.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Hunting? Target shooting? Hanging on the wall? Flint? Percussion? Any particular region or school?

First, I would recommend going to the Track of the Wolf website just to look at the pictures of the guns for sale in order to get a better idea of what you might be interested in.

Second, go to the American Longrifle Forums website and join. You'll be able to ask questions of guys that have experience building, hunting, and competing with authentic longrifles, as well as seeing what's available in the "for sale" section.

With the budget you've listed, you'll be able to get a quality piece IF you know what quality looks like.

I very much appreciate all the advice especially this detailed.

The use will be limited. Probably a wall hanger BUT it’s going to be shot once in a while.

I will look into these resources.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a very nice rifle built from a Kibler kit that was just listed on the ALR forum.

I'm constantly tempted by the Kibler kits. The level of inletting brings a whole new meaning to "pre-inlet".

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with the Kentucky is limited shooting my friends. It was a .36 flintlock and amazingly accurate. His was a custom made gun but I cant recall who built it. It came with a mold for bullets (round ball) that was matched to the barrel. For me, I had to learn to deal with the slow lock time and holding steady through the shot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post