SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Keymod or M Lok? You tell me.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Keymod or M Lok? You tell me. Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

Clean and slick looking rifle there. Cool

Thank you. It's a sweet shooter.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteer:
Finally, the idea of having a hole with different sizes in it just seemed off to me, I'd hate to get something jammed in there. I had visions of getting a branch jammed in there and never coming out again because of the 2 different channels.

Huh? Confused

Please explain how you envision a tree branch getting permanently stuck in a Keymod handguard...

I guess I should have been more clear. I didn't mean it would be permanently stuck, although I could see how you came to this conclusion.

I believe it is possible to get something caught in the larger portion of the rail opening, pulling back slightly, and getting it caught/stuck/jammed in the smaller portion of the opening. I will admit, I do not know how possible this truly is, but I think the possibility exists. I used the example of a branch just because that's what came immediately to mind. I hope this helps get my point across.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Report This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
FYI, BCM will be putting out both full Picattiny and M-Lok rail KMR variants later this year (4th quarter most likely). Hopefully they will continue using the KMR barrel nut so that users may switch if desired.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Finally, the idea of having a hole with different sizes in it just seemed off to me, I'd hate to get something jammed in there. I had visions of getting a branch jammed in there and never coming out again because of the 2 different channels.

Huh? Confused

Please explain how you envision a tree branch getting permanently stuck in a Keymod handguard...

I guess I should have been more clear. I didn't mean it would be permanently stuck, although I could see how you came to this conclusion.

I believe it is possible to get something caught in the larger portion of the rail opening, pulling back slightly, and getting it caught/stuck/jammed in the smaller portion of the opening. I will admit, I do not know how possible this truly is, but I think the possibility exists. I used the example of a branch just because that's what came immediately to mind. I hope this helps get my point across.

Eek

Quick, someone find me a keymod mount for some pruners.....

Razz

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Will this do? Big Grin

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I recommend Velcro or duct tape. That way the pruners can be strategically placed on a ghillie suit.

Posts: 7851 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Report This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Get both on one rifle. I think this is pretty slick.

Transformer Rail

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8836 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

I recommend Velcro or duct tape. That way the pruners can be strategically placed on a ghillie suit.

Buncha jerks here. Sure, pile on the dummy. Big Grin

Look, I didn't say it was a reasonable fear. To be honest, this probably comes from when I was younger and got a finger stuck in some grating. Been worried about getting stuff caught ever since, and when I look at a product that's one of the things I look at: how can it snag or trap something. Even if it unlikely. Razz

And sorry for derailing your thread, jljones.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Buncha jerks here. Sure, pile on the dummy. Big Grin

Look, I didn't say it was a reasonable fear. To be honest, this probably comes from when I was younger and got a finger stuck in some grating. Been worried about getting stuff caught ever since, and when I look at a product that's one of the things I look at: how can it snag or trap something. Even if it unlikely. Razz

And sorry for derailing your thread, jljones.

Wink

Don't feel bad. When I was 7 or 8, I got my ass stuck in a bicycle chain. Between the chain and the sprocket.

It hurt. Big Grin Eek

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rln_21:

The barrel must be dimpled on set screw style to be secure. If they are, I think they are very secure as long as good (red) loctite is used. Only thing better is to pin the block to the barrel. I don't trust clamp style without pinning.

SLR makes a good barrel dimpling jig you can easily use at home for only $30. Check your center-center spacing on the holes on your gas block though, they differ by manufacturer.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index...oduct&product_id=579

Thanks for the link to the jig.

I did dimple the barrel but that was a mess, too. The barrel walked in my drill press vice the first time and I didn't catch it. One aggravation turned into many. I will try this jig for the remaining project.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Report This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
I prefer the look of M-LOK. Keymod looks like shelving attach points.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote M-lok.

Unlike my keymod parts, all my M-lok parts work together.

I have keymod rails and parts with the spacing slightly off. I have also had better luck with the M-lok gear staying put vs. some Keymod stuff working loose.

Above all that I like the look of it better and it allows for smaller diameter rails.

If I have a choice, it's M-lok all the way. Though I don't think keymod is going anywhere.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Report This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
It took me years to realize that, while these do-dads are cool, I don't use light's, lasers and all the other things that market engineers and designers have come up with to separate me from my money.

Maybe it would be different if I was younger, or lived on a farm and needed to take out fox or coyote's from killing my livestock ... or a night hunter (we call'um poachers) and needed infrared or thermal detection ... or if I was a hit-man, but in both the John Wick movies he didn't use any of that stuff.

Except those aren't the only reason to have a light on your rifle. IMO (and in the opinion of people with BTDT resumes) a light is required on a defensive rifle. Sure if all you do is go shoot on the range a light is probably useless.

I even put one of the rifle that my mom got. This is her rifle:

That must be some flashlight if you can see what is beyond your target ... the number 1 rule in safe gun handling, know your target and what is beyond it.

And besides that ... a flash light just lets the bad guys know where to shoot.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
That must be some flashlight if you can see what is beyond your target ... the number 1 rule in safe gun handling, know your target and what is beyond it.

It is quite powerful. But it is a short range flashlight. On my rifles I have longer range flashlights.

But the general consensus for long range night rifle fighting NVDs and an IR laser are the best solution. But those aren't in my budget, nor do I have a need for long range rifle fighting at night. 100 yards is the maximum distance I see engaging a target with a rifle at night with a defensive rifle.

quote:
And besides that ... a flash light just lets the bad guys know where to shoot.

Really this outdated myth. Roll Eyes

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Look up some videos of gunfights at night (or even during the daytime).
Now, how many demonstrate the shooter’s high degree of concern about what’s beyond the target?

I thought so.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
So if all my defensive rifles (and defensive handguns for that matter) have lights, does that make me a poacher, an assassin, or just a rube?

Roll Eyes

It's dark half the day... You can't count on only needing to defend yourself during daytime.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Early on the boutique companies first came out with keymod, meaning they were of higher quality. I took advantage of various BCM sales before riflegeddon and thus my rifles have keymod. With the military adoption of a mlok rail I have a feeling that companies will slowly fall in line. Both are better than HK backwards keymod.

Flashlights make shooting at coyotes during the night easier. I would assume this translates to people, though I haven't tested it yet.

Posts: 9943 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
I prefer the M Lok, mainly for feel, but also knowing a monster like Magpuul will continue to bring out accessories is comforting. I tried and have a couple PWS key mod rails collecting dust. What length(s) are you looking for? I've got a couple of 9" if you want to try one out, email is in my profile.

Oh, and do you plan on using a suppressor under the rail? That's another thing to consider, better check diameter of rail & can, as I know the ALG rails I have won't work with some cans.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Look up some videos of gunfights at night (or even during the daytime).
Now, how many demonstrate the shooter’s high degree of concern about what’s beyond the target?

I thought so.

So that raises another question ...

... how many here have been in gun battles at night?

1 ... maybe 2 that are in law enforcement?

Or is it just more common in other parts of the country to be in gun battles that strangely never get reported on by the media?

If you look back at my post on page 1, you'll see where I said:
quote:
It took me years to realize that, while these do-dads are cool, I don't use light's, lasers and all the other things that market engineers and designers have come up with to separate me from my money.

Do you keep that AR with the lights and stuff on it at the ready at all times or is it sitting in a safe like mine do?

I'm just an average joe ... now getting on in years and trying to relate some of my experience and if ya'll wanna hang lights and lasers and IR identifiers and do-dads all over your AR's ... be my guest! It's no skin off my ass! IMHO its just not money well spent ... but it's your money!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
M-Lok but you have to have an understanding of how the system is supposed to work or you will end up frustrated at not being able to quickly install/remove M-Lok attachments. What's vital for M-Lok to function correctly is that the T-nut and the mounting screw must rotate together until the T-nut engages the rail interface. This is accomplished by a dab of thread locker on the mounting screws. If the screw and T-nut do not rotate together, you are going to have a fun old time installing and removing M-lok attachments.
I discovered this when I received an M-Lok mount from a source other than Magpul. There was no thread locker on the mounting screws, and until I put Vibra-Tite on the screws, it was a real pain in the ass to get mounted correctly, and removing the mount consisted of just unscrewing the screws all the way and letting the T-nuts fall out of the handguard. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107249 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post