SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts of color filling newest AR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts of color filling newest AR? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
The Wilson Combat roll mark is pretty slick on this lower. I am having thoughts of color filling it a dark blue.
Just for a bit of color but not a crazy contrast.
Bad idea?
Or good idea and should I use Testors enamel or a
China marker?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Try crayon first and see how you like it. It comes off.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3173 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t use anything that couldn’t be removed with a toothbrush. I did it once, then regretted it. Luckily I just used white crayon, and was able to remove the evidence.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Testors enamel come off fine with Hoppes, so give it a go and see if you like it.

I use Testors enamel markers to number my mags.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Testors model car enamel and the tiny pointed paint "swabs" sold in the same aisle. Cleaned (with brake cleaner) and then lightly dipped the tip only in the cap, steady hand and touched in that depression. It tends to slowly run in the line and you add more as you go.

Odds are it will blob over somewhere, I wipe as best I can and use a swab with thinner to remove. It will always leave a bit of sheen there but NBD. I used white for SAFE and red for FIRE, and also the line marking on the offside and the point of the arrow on the safety.

My latest lower is 17 Designs which is a pretty complex roll mark. I might try some of the auto lacquer I have color matched in Foliage Green to see, it will match the furniture.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I did the paint rollmark thing with a paint pen.

Load up the area with paint and swipe it with a credit card or such to remove the excess.
Blot with acetone or such to remove any left over.

I just got done removing it all with a bit of brake clean and tooth brush.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I've used nail polish with toothpicks.
Holds up good and can be removed with acetone or brake fluid (dot3).

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't like the look of roll marks filled in with color.
Always seemed a bit silly to me.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It seems the trend of mentioning removing the colorfill.
Think I’ll just leave it alone.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t color fill the roll marks per se. I color fill the safe and fire markings with white and red. It looks nice and I can claim it’s practical. lol

I did buy an aftermarket RMD cut slide from some place that used a babayaba (sp? boogeyman) word etched in the optics cover. I color filled that blue to match the color scheme of the g19. I thought it looked good. Still do.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck using water-based acrylics for filling in rollmarks. WBA is insoluble to gun oil, and in fact is also insoluble to water once it cures. I consider it a permanent mod, not even sure how I'd remove it even if I wanted to. Tamiya makes a nice line of hobby paints in this regard.

P229R Fully Ported - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16250 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I picked up the idea from owning an HK91 - but I agree, there have been some examples of yes you can but should you out there.

Cerakote has certainly been overused that way. In comparison a little paint in the markings looks restrained.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post