SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Got an old girl back yesterday.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got an old girl back yesterday. Login/Join 
posted
I have had this gun for close to 20 years now. About 2 years ago my brother begged me for it and I gave in. He shot it one time in the past two years so I asked if he would like to give it back. Well, she came home, got a good cleaning to remove some surface rust on the barrel and off to the range today.

I loaded some 75gr Hornady Match and 69gr SMK. both with 24gr Shooters World Precision powder and Federal match primers. I still have to work on the 75gr but the 69gr SMK shot outstanding. All groups were 5 shots at 100 yds. I think this Savage outshot my RPR in 223 Eek.

When she came to me all those years ago, she was wearing the old Choate stock. I cannot even remember where I got the stock she is wearing now, but it is stiff and definitely aids in getting good groups.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have that same rifle, albeit in a Boyd's stock (the factory plastic was an abomination). It is indeed a shooter. Apparently I need to get my hands on some 69 grain SMKs to try!

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Looks like the woodchuck stock from Stockade gun stocks. Put one on a Savage 10 in .308 about 30 years ago. Replacing the Tupperware factory stock is a must. That rifle would shoot sub moa at 500 yards with ease. Bought mine in the rough and finished and bedded it myself.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I just checked and that stock now costs $275.00. If I remember correctly I only paid $89.00 plus shipping for the one I bought.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
Looks like the woodchuck stock from Stockade gun stocks. Put one on a Savage 10 in .308 about 30 years ago. Replacing the Tupperware factory stock is a must. That rifle would shoot sub moa at 500 yards with ease. Bought mine in the rough and finished and bedded it myself.

I found an old post I did on the rifle years ago. The stock is a Bell & Carson Duramax stock. I paid $90 for it. They are now $340 Eek.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post