SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Did I mess up my fixed mag AR and how snug should a round be going in the chamber? (update FIXED on page 1)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I mess up my fixed mag AR and how snug should a round be going in the chamber? (update FIXED on page 1) Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Okay I'm gonna sound really dumb. I know plenty about my pistols. But I have a fixed mag commie state AR-15 that has been nothing but trouble jamming and I haven't shot it much. I did find it needs to be very lubed to run okay.

But last week I had a somewhat catastrophic jam/double feed. One round was so jammed up at the top of the bolt that the damn charging handle and bolt would not move back. Long story short, the round actually was pulled apart getting it out. Luckily nothing was hitting the primer and the operation was somewhat a success. But now I gotta clean powder out of the damn thing and I noticed some damage inside, right near the dust cover.

Pic is below. Will this ding interfere with the bolt and cause more issues?

Also noticed that I can't just drop a round into the chamber (just testing to see if there is some issue causing my jams). I found that the round won't just drop in and would need to be pushed in with a fair amount of pressure (it drops about 3/4 way in before needing a push). Is that normal? I cleaned the bore with Hoppes and a bore snake. No change. My charging handle is fucked so I need to buy an new one.

I'm thinking of just trying to find a preban instead of dealing with this damn thing anymore.

Thanks to vthoky for resizing the pic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with AR advice, but I can resize your pic:

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
The ding in the ejection port won't affect the function.

However, it does sound like you have chamber issues. Maybe clean it or get another barrel.

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Do you have a borescope to look in the chamber? It could be some junk you can clean out rather than damage. Properly sized rounds should drop in with little to no pressure.

I also agree that the ding won’t affect anything and is cosmetic.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Vthoky, thanks for the pic. Imgur still wouldn't let me edit today. Just get the hourglass when I try to resize.

I have no borescope. But I definitely need to get in there and see what is the issue. If there's something blocking it, well that would certainly answer why it jams a lot.

I don't know that I want to take on installing a new barrel. Not something I've done before.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Video of the barrel issue. Definitely need to find out what the hell is causing this. Can't see in there for shit. Ignore the powder all over. The bore was cleaned with a boresnake several times. The rest I need to get an aerosol to spray out.

These go to eleven.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a feeding problem--magazine spring needs to be inspected/replaced.
Also --inspect the magazine follower.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Pondering, with my barrel issue (I will try to clean it out but find the issue very odd), since I need a charging handle, since the ding near the ejection port, and lastly that while the BCG looks okay, it could have been damaged, maybe I should just get one of these...

https://palmettostatearmory.co...g-ch-5165449606.html

These go to eleven.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Watching your video--you need a chamber brush to clean the chamber. That is where you are getting the hangup.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a brush. Been using the bore snake so far.

Just thought of this, but I was trying to shoot 223 Wolf Steel case and had some jams. It was new stuff, so I don't think it has that coating that has been an issue in the past, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that's the issue I have and I have to get some gunk out.

I seem to have no issues with the Wolf stuff in my Mini 14 so I'll use it for that only.

ETA: Found this which sort of describes my issue exactly.

https://www.typicalshooter.com...-ammo-in-your-ar-15/

Next, what charging handle do you all recommend, assuming I get the bore cleaned out? Something not too cheap, not crazy pricey as my AR is not a top of the line gun.

These go to eleven.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If you have only ever been using a bore snake, then I 100% agree with getting a chamber brush and adding it to the normal cleaning routine. I would also recommend ditching the bore snake for cleaning at home, and replacing it with a decent rod and jag.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve only shot a few hundred rounds and a full kit was on my list but I’ve been lazy. Anyhow kit for cleaning will be here Wednesday.

These go to eleven.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I have no borescope. But I definitely need to get in there and see what is the issue. If there's something blocking it, well that would certainly answer why it jams a lot.

For what it's worth, I have this one and it's been surprisingly good, and worth every cent. I also paid fifteen bucks more for it, so that's a deal.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
For future reference, the simple way to deal with a bolt override stoppage, which it sounds like you had:

https://youtu.be/io5FP1W660g

Go to about 2:30 into the video for a good demonstration. Remove the mag, then reach your finger in the ejection port and manually push back on the bolt while simultaneously pushing forward on the charging handle to drop the round out.

Video shows going up through the mag well. I'd go in through the ejection port.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
For future reference, the simple way to deal with a bolt override stoppage, which it sounds like you had:

https://youtu.be/io5FP1W660g

Go to about 2:30 into the video for a good demonstration. Remove the mag, then reach your finger in the ejection port and manually push back on the bolt while simultaneously pushing forward on the charging handle to drop the round out.

Video shows going up through the mag well. I'd go in through the ejection port.

Thanks Oat. I would indeed need to go through the ejection port. As I mentioned, it's a pinned magazine. Although I could drop the bottom out of the mag, not sure I could reach up that way.

In my case I had a double feed at the same time and couldn't get the second round to drop because of the damn fixed mag.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
First update, got the cleaning kit, did a quick run of the bore and bam, round drop in chamber with no issue. So clearly my steel case crap caused issues.

Next waiting on aerosol cleaner to clean out the rest of this and also just ordered a standard Yankee Hill charging handle from Primary Arms.

Hopefully I'll have this back together and try it out within a week.

UPDATE 2 FIXED! Got my new charging handle, cleaned the hell out of the rifle, oiled and greased. I just shot 60 rounds of 5.56 with not one flaw. I'm super happy. No more 223, no more steel case.

Hopefully my Mini 14 will take the steel case or I'll be having an ammo karma. LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.