SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    20 inch AR project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 inch AR project Login/Join 
posted
I bought a PSA 20" upper with the FN CHF barrel because I'm stupid and I lack impulse control it was on sale.

So, I have a new project and need some help. Who makes a good A2 rear stock(kit) and where's a good source for a carry handle rear sight? I like the Rock River Arms stand alone rear, but not for half what the upper cost.

Any help appreciated.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2729 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I just finished putting an A2 stock on a 24" kit that I also have a 20" upper for.

The only reasonably priced kit I could find when I looked recently was the UTG kit. Everything else I looked at was out of stock or well out of my price range.

If we're being honest, if I could go back and buy the lower again I'd have spent the extra $100 for the A2 lower when I bought it (also PSA; I bought the stealth lower on sale over Halloween).

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not all A2 Stocks are created equal, the GI spec ones, (most of which are surplus) are a bit more sturdy that some of the commercial made ones,
and don't feel as cheap,

may want to try the EE on AR15.com for some parts,

RRA does a good A2 stock as well, or did, not sure if they still offer it,

most all of my 20 in guns run A1 stocks (esp my Match guns) cause the 5\8 inch difference is a bit much to me,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got goofy long arms for only being 6', to the point of buying 2-3xl shirts to get sleeves to fit. So I generally like the longer stock settings. Plus no match jackets, padding or plate carriers as its just a range toy for me. And I still shoot across my body like a traditional hunting rifle, not square on target. RRA does still offer a stock kit, but I can't find it in stock for less than a $120-ish. Probably would be my preferred choice if I could.
Vulrath I looked at a PSA lower build kit for the a2 stock, but I don't need all the rest of it. Duplicate parts means another build at some time in the future and I'm about out of lowers.
I honestly never thought of surplus for parts, so I might have to explore the interests a little tonight.

Posts: 2729 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Would this be what you are looking for?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/gun...ing-buffer-tube.html

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I picked up a surplus Colt A2 from here after doing some digging around.

https://retrorifles.com/colt-m...-door-with-hardware/

And here for surplus carry handles.

https://wraithdefense.com/colt...y-handle-iron-sight/

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Colt carry handle laying around. I pulled it off the base gun I’m using for an a4 clone build. It’s already got an ACOG and a MATech on it, so the handle is just collecting dust in my parts box. You want it, it’s yours. It’s just going to take up space here. All my ARs either wear folding rears or the LMT that looks like a chopped carry handle.

I need the karma. Trying to track down a KAC RAS that is in good shape and won’t cost collectors prices. Couldn’t give those things away a few years ago…

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Check Aero precision.

A non-retro 20" is my next build, that's gonna really get the most out of 5.56/.223, and should be sweet as hell to shoot.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Would this be what you are looking for?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/gun...ing-buffer-tube.html

I bought that one, and it's currently on my el-cheapo PSA M16 clone. It's ok...feels much cheaper than a real A2 stock, and the contours don't blend perfectly to the receiver. It works, and it was cheap...good enough for my purposes, but if you are looking for something really nice, this kit isn't it.

I also picked up a carry handle from CDNN at the same time. That thing was absolute junk...felt like it was made for an airsoft gun, and the sights weren't properly registered to my "F" marked front sight base. It was so far off I couldn't get it to zero. I ended up ordering a PSA branded one, and that one is clearly better quality and registers properly with the front sight.

Posts: 8388 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I did a similar build using a 16” PSA upper, Brownell’s Retro furniture and a Aero Precision carry handle. The carry handle seems to work well with the front sight. I sighted it in using paper targets at the range, accurate enough for what I do, using a CMMG .22LR conversion on the 50yd steel targets at my club.

I’m not too happy about the fit of the hand guard. Still finessing it, judicious use of sandpaper and a Dremel and it’s getting better. The problem is with the gaps between the vent hole halves. I should have contacted Brownell’s but between the time I bought them and used them was a couple of years.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I bought a PSA 20" upper with the FN CHF barrel because I'm stupid and I lack impulse control it was on sale.

So, I have a new project and need some help. Who makes a good A2 rear stock(kit) and where's a good source for a carry handle rear sight? I like the Rock River Arms stand alone rear, but not for half what the upper cost.

Any help appreciated.

I did this too and wound up just going with the PSA kit. As for the carry handle, unless it's for looks I would respectfully suggest a MATECH BUIS instead because you have the option to add optics if you wish /and/ because the distances are marked off in meters so it's much more useful for known distance or if you have a rangefinder handy.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to go with the Rock River Arms kit to finish this build out. I like the looks of the operator stock, but will probably go with the plain Jane A2. Will see what the Black Friday sales bring price wise.
My eyes aren't the best, so dot optics turn into starburst optics. I will go with irons for the time being as I really do like the look of a carry handle on a 20" gun with standard furniture. And this is just goin to be a 100 yard range toy.

Copaup, thank you sir. I have sent you an email.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Recieved. It's been hectic at work (we've got two people assigned to a project that affects 2700 employees. I haven't had a day off since mid September) and I forgot and left the box on my desk at home. I'll get it out Monday.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on your mailbox. It should arrive in the next day or two.

posted Hide Post
Arrived Saturday. Thank you again.
Also found a deal on a rock river stock over the weekend, so hopefully I can get everything put together on my next vacation.