SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Not ruling out the 140 Bergers but not planning on it either. If it had been a Creed or a 260 probably would have been the first choice. I'll finalize this load and test it at 1000 and if it performs as well as I'm hoping will probably stock deeper than I already have.

Anybody heard anything else about the 130 hybrids?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
"When are the 130 grain, .264" Hybrids going to be available"?

On My list to ask the Berger folks at SHOT Show.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Finally got the first 25 rounds down the tube on the 6.5x47 barrel. I figured from discussion with offgrid here that I would be ending up somewhere around 37.5 of Varget so I tried a couple seating depths there. These 130 VLD hunting bullets seem to be picky at their depth unless I just blew the group at touch. Next up will be checking velocity and a seating depth test at 37.5. I'll seat them long and take the arbor press to the range and try to get the groups as small and as round as possible then stretch it out to 500 thru 1000. Fairly pleased with it at this point.

37.5/.005 jammed looks great. Heck you might have found your load! Look forward to hearing how it does at distance.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Offgrid - SWEET pictures of so many rifles all in one spot. The only recommendation I'd make it to try and group the guys with cans together. Putting a guy with a can next to a guy with a brake is... Punishment. For the guy with the can. LOL

Grouping cans/brakes at a practice range, doesn't work that way. General admission, find a vacant spot. The matches I shoot are the same way. Shot a match today, firing line elbow to elbow, had two brakes next to my bare barrel, no big deal, part of shooting steel matches.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Jelrod,

With 130 Berger VLD's and my chamber cut with a standard PTG reamer I am at 2.770" into the lands.

Yours is shooting about twice as well as mine! You have a shooter there! I started out with the 136 gr Scenar-L's and H-4350. Best I could get with limited testing, was about .6"! Disappointing as I have 1K of them. I get 2 or 3 into .2" or .3" then one will blow out 1/2" or so! Maddening. I'll work with the Scenars later.

Moved to the 130 Berger VLD's and Varget today.
FINALLY a day without WIND. Couldn't have wanted a better day.

With 37.5 grs VARGET, CCI450, and the 130 gr VLD's I'm getting 2930-2940 fps depending on seating depth. My experience with the VLD's is limited. I can switch between VLD's and standard LR Bergers in my .308 with NO change in seating depth. APPARENTLY not so with this gun. I finally started seating INTO the lands and my groups SHRANK. I had .491" , .453" and .453" all 4 shots at 100.

I ended the day with 37.5 of VARGET seated .010" into the lands with a four shot group of .146" so that was a nice way to close the session.

Looking forward to another range session like today and I'll try powder charges UP and DOWN a few tenths as well as seating depth in and out a bit.

FN in MT

One of the guys at the match I shot today has been shooting a 6.5x47 for several years. There's a reference/picture of him in the Zak Smith's 6.5x47 article, his name is John. We talked about his loads. He's had good luck with H4350 in longer barrels, 28"+ with the 130's/140 Hybrids. I would be tempted to try 39-40.5 grains of 4350/130 VLD's jammed .005-.010 in a 28" barrel.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
offgrid,

Appreciate the info. Thanks. Noted and will give it a try. 140's are my next bullet to try.

I just started testing, with all of twelve 4 shot groups down the tube. BUT that said...My extreme spreads are anywhere from 35 to 55 fps! I'm somewhat baffled. Though a few of my more accurate loads were in the 20-25 fps ES area. But 16 fps ES has been my lowest.

I'm using Lapua brass. A .288" bushing in WHIDDEN FL size die, and a WHIDDEN micrometer seater.

CCI 450 primers and so far VARGET as well as H-4350. Hodgons 4350 is supposed to be THE powder for this cartridge.

Any ideas?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
A little late to the thread party but...

I was able to finish up the load development on the 43.2 Re15/175gr SMK loading. Kept the .010 jump which seemed to work well. My repaired under warranty Chrony came back working fine, so was finally able to get the data I needed.

Took it out to 700yds on steel. I wasn't really looking to shoot groups at that point (maybe next week) but was happy to get the targets set out via snowmobile, and shoot off the back of the truck.

While not as panoramic as some of the views posted.....

Next step is to maybe find a VLD (like a Berger) and start all over!!

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:

Holy Flat Light Batman! How did you even see the targets at 700 in that light?

You guys need to all move South.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20294 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
A little late to the thread party but...

I was able to finish up the load development on the 43.2 Re15/175gr SMK loading. Kept the .010 jump which seemed to work well. My repaired under warranty Chrony came back working fine, so was finally able to get the data I needed.

Took it out to 700yds on steel. I wasn't really looking to shoot groups at that point (maybe next week) but was happy to get the targets set out via snowmobile, and shoot off the back of the truck.

While not as panoramic as some of the views posted.....

Next step is to maybe find a VLD (like a Berger) and start all over!!

700 yards on steel? If I could be so lucky.. The farthest I'm able to shoot within a couple hours' drive is 600 yards. I'm seriously thinking about joining that range in Lodi where they hosted some F-class events. It's several hours away, but it's only a few hundred $ per year...

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I can get farther than 700 easy. I google-earthed it and there isn't anything beyond where the impact would be but trees and a pretty big terrain rise. I didn't do it this time because I was specific with the land owner the direction I would be shooting, and to push it would have required me to modify my angle of fire. He wasn't home, and I didn't feel it anywhere near appropriate to do without asking.

The pic was taken in the late afternoon and yep...things do get dark up north a bit earilier than they do waaaay down there twords the eee-kway-ter. Big Grin

We're back up there this week for a bit with the kids. Bringing the stick with. Also some fluorescent orange paint for the steel.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

Look forward to hearing how it does at distance.

280nosler and I had a fun day on the range today. Shot at various steel plates at 500 yards and gongs and bowling pins at 1000. The 6.5x47 did pretty well and I was pleased at this point. I used the 130 Bergers /37.5 Varget .005 in the lands.

Here is a 5 shot group at 1000 I took on paper around 4.5". I'm happy with that from a bipod and squeeze bag. Just have to work on POI getting a little closer to POA. It's tough shooting blind with no clue where they're going.

The most fun for me for the day by far was shooting the Scar at 500. I loaded up some 155 Amax in LC brass and it would wear the plates out even with my little Leupold on 4 power. I may stretch it out a little farther once I put a different optic on it and find the limits. It was a blast rapid firing at 500 though and actually hitting.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool, the "go to load" is shooting so well. Your primers looking OK?

How did 280nosler's 6.5x47 shoot?

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Jelrod,

GREAT 1K target!! That is truly impressive.

I'm still fighting the weather here but did get a brief range day today. Found out WHY my 6.5 x 47 crono readings had such extreme spreads. My 3rd screen had been moved forward, when the wind pushed it over the other day, screwing up the spacing.

Fixed that and immediately I started getting ES readings as low as 5 fps. Also gave up on the ATLAS bipod on my slippery bench, and used my Sinclair rest. I think the failure to be able to "load" the bipod in a consistent manner is what caused my inevitable one or two flyers per 4 and 5 rd group.

So far with the 130 VLD's jammed .010" into the lands, 41.0 of H4350 gives me 2880 fps and a 5 shot group went into a nice round .252" group.

I started at 39.0 and as I increased my charge weight groups got smaller and rounder.

So I'm almost THERE with the 130 VLD's. So at least I have made some positive progress.

Next: Get to work on the 136 Lapuas Scenar-L slugs.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Primers are a little cratered since the firing pin is not bushed but not flattened so I don't see any problem.

280nosler shot his .260 today and did well with it.

Thanks Frank. I shot one other group on paper. It had less vertical but a little more horizontal and looked to be a 6 to 6-1/2 inches or so. Won't be winning any comps but happy getting those with a bipod. I would like to try it out on one of those comp rests one time for fun though.

Glad you got yours shooting like you'd hoped.

posted Hide Post
FN in MT,

good to hear the chrono screen was the problem and you're on track!

posted Hide Post

6BR/600 Yards/ Port Malabar
For more info:
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek008.html

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
FN in MT,

good to hear the chrono screen was the problem and you're on track!

No LIE there! Last week sitting at the bench with whacky ES readings and less than stellar accuracy....Looking at ALL that money sitting there...talk about ANGST! I will sleep far better tonight! LOL.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Like every other part of the build, there has been another issue. When you tighten the stock (AICS) to the bighorn action, the mag will no longer insert all the way into the action. Not sure if it is a AICS issue or bighorn issue. Frustrating as all hell. If you loosen the action bolts 1/2 a turn it is close and 7/8 of a turn and it will seat. Unfortunately that means the stock is tightened to about 2 inch lbs of torque.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jelrod - the answer to the question is 2 levels of scotch blue painters tape and torqued to not more than 42 inch lbs, or 3 layers of tape torqued to 62 in lbs. We may be fine to try to epoxy 2 layers down for proper spacing.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

Like every other part of the build, there has been another issue. When you tighten the stock (AICS) to the bighorn action, the mag will no longer insert all the way into the action. Not sure if it is a AICS issue or bighorn issue. Frustrating as all hell. If you loosen the action bolts 1/2 a turn it is close and 7/8 of a turn and it will seat. Unfortunately that means the stock is tightened to about 2 inch lbs of torque.

Your mags are not locking on the mag catch of the AICS right? Guessing the problem is with the stock, both my Bighorns AW mag cut/AICS stocks work perfect. I did recently pick up a new XLR carbon stock and had the same problem as yours, AW mag would not quite seat/mag latch wouldn't catch. Easy 5 minute fix. I filed off about .030 from the mag catch lever. Mags lock in, feeds perfect.

Barreled action out of the stock, skins off. Drive the pin holding the mag release bar almost out, don't need to take it all the way out. Measure the length of the bar/lever, file off .030 or so. Remove a little more if necessary.