SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is about AR-15 A2 pistol grips that some people dislike?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is about AR-15 A2 pistol grips that some people dislike? Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
A little skinnier than I prefer, but serviceable.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I don’t like the finger bump. It’s like finger grooves on a Glock, they just don’t fit my hand.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Magpul here; long fingers/big paws.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Would you like to shoot a pistol with that grip? I like the Magpul+ grip.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
And in the category of weird pistol grips is the Valmet 76, it is (was) simply a round, grooved tube.

I think you're confusing the later Valmet m76 with its initial prototype m60 and some of the early production m62s.

Most Finnish military Valmet m62s and all of the m76s had a traditional grip, somewhat similar to some AK grips:

Whereas the pre-adoption prototype m60s and some of the early production m62s had the cylindrical grip you're describing:

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
And in the category of weird pistol grips is the Valmet 76, it is (was) simply a round, grooved tube.

I think you're confusing the later Valmet m76 with its initial prototype m60 and some of the early production m62s.

Most Finnish military Valmet m62s and all of the m76s had a traditional grip, somewhat similar to some AK grips:

Whereas the pre-adoption prototype m60s and some of the early production m62s had the cylindrical grip you're describing:

Valmet grips are awesome - I have one on a krink and one on a Saiga12. Best ak grip.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I like the A2 grip, even if you have callosed hands, it will rub you raw.

Must use a glove for extended use.
I dont mind the bump, doesn’t seem to bother me.

I like the Magpul design the thickness of the material concerns me.

The A2 is robust without doubt, Ive also used an A2 reversed as a forward grip with switch tape for illumination on a Swan mount.

I go through phases where I like it, then I don’t.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
As for the Valmet, I liked the early M62 furniture, forend was a but clumsy but useful, handled a bunch of those in the days when they were imported.

lived near the importer in Elmsford NY

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
The grip angle, as mentioned, was more appropriate for the chicken wing hold in the early days as depicted in this picture.

In CQB, typically your arm is going to be more tucked into your side and the A1 and A2 grip caused your wrist to bend at an uncomfortable angle. The grips with the lesser angle that pointed downward in a more vertical orientation worked better with your arm tucked into your side.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Angle, finger thing, and causes me to ride up onto the receiver getting too much finger on the trigger. I like the MOE K2 best now, for pretty much everything. Before that the standard MOE. Beavertail keeps hand from riding up, and trigger reach is just right.

For something close to the A1 footprint, Griffin makes an A3 grip. Shallower angle and no finger thing. Good except for the riding up part.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blfuller:
The grip angle, as mentioned, was more appropriate for the chicken wing hold in the early days as depicted in this picture.

So THAT'S 'the shoulder thing that goes up'!

I've been wrong for so long.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Funny, I never noticed the A2 grip being small, but then I have smallish hands. That said, I have the BCM Gunfighter grips on most of my ARs now and like them better. Must be the angle.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
This is just my opinion, but I don't like the angle of the A2 grip. It makes me cant my wrist and I have arthritis in that wrist.
I prefer a grip that is less canted and more vertical. Simply a comfort thing for me.

This is the main complaint with A1/A2 grips, that and they lack “meat” to them. With that said, they are all I use because that it what I used my entire time in the Army and never had a problem with them. They’re cheap, easily sourced, and can be modified by the end user.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
For me, its just way too close to the trigger and doesn't even remotely fill my hand. When I reach for my trigger it is hitting well inside of the second joint of my finger. To get to the pad of the tip of my finger, I have to hold it at a really odd angle. The top of the grip needs to come back about a full 1" and needs to be more vertical.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
CMP Service Rifle Rules

"Only standard A1 or A2 type
pistol grips are permitted.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post