SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please recommend paper targets for sighting in riflescopes at 100 and 200 yards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please recommend paper targets for sighting in riflescopes at 100 and 200 yards Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I recall some being posted in other threads from time to time, but they're not easy to find.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
While you're at it, if anybody has the same for irons at 50, I'd love some recommendations for those as well!

Posts: 8518 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I like these.
25, 50 and 100 yd targets.
http://www.arma-dynamics.com/r...ot-zero-targets.html

Posts: 1473 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cabela's sells a decent large paper target, with multiple aiming points.
RedHead rifle target

Shoot-N-C 2 inch pasters work well. The small red center dot serves as a precision aiming point.
2" pasters

Some people have vision issues with colors -- the red lines on white paper for the RedHead targets. I've seen some paper targets with blue colored lines -- maybe by Sigfreund?

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I use these targets almost exclusively.

https://www.precisionplustarge...om/hiviztargets2.htm

Someone with a color printer and something like a computer “Paint” program can make their own, but the targets come on a convenient pad and aren’t expensive enough for me to fool with trying to do that.

The size needed depends upon the scope magnification. The higher the magnification, the smaller the target should be used. “Aim small, miss small,” is a useful principle to keep in mind.
The dark blue is easy to see but doesn’t cause a black reticle to disappear. The diamond positioning also helps eliminate aiming errors. The large V shape of the “Victory Rifle” works well for iron sights that have a flat top front sight post.

Poor target selection for precision shooting, and especially group testing and zeroing, is one of the most common errors I see in the many videos I see on the Internet. If you can’t position the reticle exactly the same for every shot, as is true of traditional black bull’s-eye targets or anything else that allows the reticle to wander around without a clear, precise aiming point such as a large red circle will automatically affect what we can get out of our efforts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Cabela's sells a decent large paper target, with multiple aiming points.
RedHead rifle target

THis is my favorite of the 1" square targets. My other pre-printed is the blue transition silhouette target.
Recoil target pack has a bunch .pdfs of their targets, and the targets range from drills to fun shooting galleries.
https://www.recoilweb.com/free-target-pack?path=2

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I typically use these, which is basically the same as the Cabelas target linked above. Need 1" squares in windage and elevation.

https://www.amazon.com/Eze-Sco...ps%2C76&sr=8-27&th=1

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10477 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
The 1"grid targets work good. So do the A25 100y SB target. So does a 1" dot on a paper plate. Why need a special target?
Shoot a group(s) and see where they land.
Make adjustments.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6310 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Then there was the character who came to our range during the sight in program. He was quite a real character. He had his old "thuddy-thuddy".
At first he couldn't find the 100y target. We suggested he first shoot at 25. Nope.
After several shots he quit and said he was going out the next day. Said if he aims the ass end he will hit the front end. He seemed quite pleased.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6310 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
So does a 1" dot on a paper plate.

I buy 1/4" peel and stick squares, that's what I mostly shoot at with scoped rifles. Some larger sizes for low power scopes and iron sights. Black for paper, white for cardboard.

Put them on scrap cardboard or I used to get lots of thrown away, large artists drawing "tablets" (large spiral notebooks) at work and use those a lot.

I can see why people like the grids for sighting in, but I just kind of do it visually knowing the size of the square as a reference.

Most recently I was shooting a rifle with a 3-9 (or 10?) scope on it. I was doubting seeing the 1/4" squares at 100 yards behind the crosshairs and was being lazy not wanting to go get the 1/2" ones. So I use four to make a bunch of 1" squares. Above them I stuck one single 1/4"
I was pleasantly surprised to find I could see the 1/4 ones just fine.

I've always preferred the smallest aiming point possible. I always hated shooting large black bullseyes. People would comment about "oh you must be really good to shoot at such small targets." My view, and my response has always been just the opposite. I think it's easier to shoot small groups at/on a small aiming point than it is to shoot them on a large one. Were I a better shooter, I would have been able to shoot tiny groups in the center of 10" black bullseye.

Rambled even more than normal, sleep deprived, that's what happens.

Posts: 21088 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an older instructional video by Jacob Bynum of Rifles Only ("RO"), where he uses the 2" Shoot-N-C pasters as precision rifle targets. Anyone who has attended an RO course knows that Jacob uses these for lots of drills. One can start with the 2" portion for longer distances or less stable shooting positions. If you want to tighten down the accuracy requirements, the inner 1" circle becomes the goal. For full-on accuracy, the little red dot in the center becomes the target.

Even with my eyesight, the small red center dot works against the black paster background. And there's the added feedback of spotting impacts in the Shoot-N-C paper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzg_TgUQEzc&ab_channel=SHLowlight

edit -- looks like I don't know how to imbed a video

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Clicked "share" link on youtube.

Copied and pasted "https://youtu.be/Kzg_TgUQEzc"
into:

https://imaginekitty.com/tubinator.php

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Thanks Sigfreund, that's exactly what I was looking for, I think. I know you'd posted something similar on here before, but I couldn't remember where. I printed off a couple of the photos from their website...if they work like I suspect they will, I'll place an order.

My problem is basically what you described: most circle-dot targets don't have a consistent point of reference that allows me to align the sights on exactly the same spot every time, at least not with my eyes. It's hard to put up a good group when your point of aim is some nebulous area inside a large black blob. A smaller circle/dot would work better...if my eyes were good enough to see it. I'm hoping this can provide enough visibility and contrast to give me that consistent point of aim.

Posts: 8518 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

OOooo...I like those. The diamonds seem like they would be very good for alignment of the cross hairs. I'm having trouble with the links on their site, but it could be the network I'm on at the moment.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17264 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post