SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 700 Short Action?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Short Action? Login/Join 
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted
I'd like to start a log range build with a barrel I previously purchased. Remington actions have been out of production for some time and I can't find a 700 short action at all. Even pawn shops are for used ADL/BDL are way above list $ due to the shortage. Anyone have a line on a reasonably priced action (sub $500)? I guess I may just have to wait it out... or move on to building another AR10. Big Grin Or perhaps just a Tikka T3X Tac A1 and skip the build time, chassis expense, and wait!

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
If you're looking to do a 700 based build you'd probably have better luck with a custom action, not only in availability but in quality. The catch is that your budget is at least $500 short.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
If you're looking to do a 700 based build you'd probably have better luck with a custom action, not only in availability but in quality. The catch is that your budget is at least $500 short.

Not really my budget, but I don't need a high-end action just to play with. I'm probably better off getting rid of the barrel and doing something else if I want to shoot in that caliber in relatively near future. It's just what I have brass and reloading components and a barrel for currently.

115 + 115 = 230

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What’s the barrel in?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Would a Weatherby action be an option? Good quality and maybe easier to find?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
What’s the barrel in?

6.5 Creedmore

115 + 115 = 230

Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Would a Weatherby action be an option? Good quality and maybe easier to find?

Already threaded to 16 TPI. Not a match barrel or anything, but I ended up with it and was going to play with loads since I have components. Also, the extra chassis I have is for a 700SA.

115 + 115 = 230

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
How about an old 722 300Savage?

I found a beat up 721 3006. Tossed the barrel and stock. Had Larry Brace rebarrel in 280. I bedded a 700 Classic stock on it. Changing the woodwork from fitting the 700 safe lever to fit the 722 lever took hours.
Larry's work blueprinted the action and barrel. It is one of my best rifles.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6286 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
bad time, as you probably already know,

besides the plandemic issues with everyone trying to buy everything (firearms, ammo, reloading etc)

Remington's Bankruptcy and sell off caused a bigger demand for just about anything Remington,

so basic 700's that were relatively cheap, jumped up a bit in both demand and price,

no sure of your area, but may a day ride around to check backwater LGS's and pawn shops?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
OP,
what's your preference(s)
700-
chrome moly-polished or matte blued
stainless steel
40X-
repeater
chrome moly
stainless steel
40X-
single shot
chrome moly
stainless steel

what's your location?

700, matte blued, TX. Email is in my public profile. Thx.

115 + 115 = 230

posted Hide Post
There are so many excellent custom actions built on the Remington pattern, at the prices 700's are going at there is not much reason to go with inferior quality late model Remington 700 actions on a custom build. If you HAVE a Remington 700 short action you would be smarter to see it for collectors value and buy a far superior custom action for the same money.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.kelbly.com/actions-steel-atlas-tactical/

By the time you pay a good gunsmith to true up, , square the lugs, weld the bolt handle, lap the lugs, true up the barrel threads etc on a Rem 700 you might wish you would have bought a far higher quality action for about the same price in the first place. Newer Rem 700's were JUNK!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post