SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You know that 5.7x28mm Ruger® LC Carbine™ you've been waiting for, all your life?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know that 5.7x28mm Ruger® LC Carbine™ you've been waiting for, all your life? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Hi Point carbine that won the lottery.

As for the KelTec CMR- what a neat little rifle. As long as you avoid ammunition with bullets weighing less than 40 grains, this thing appears to be very reliable. 22 Magnum out of a 16" barrel is nothing to sneeze at- 2000+ fps muzzle velocities.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna go against the grain here. I kinda want one.

Looks fun. (although with what the ammo costs right now, probably not going to buy one)

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

Looks fun. (although with what the ammo costs right now, probably not going to buy one)

At a local fun show this morning I saw some FN ammo, I think it was the blue tip 197 for $115 per 50 rounds but there were a couple other venders with other brands for $65 per box of 50.
I’m still wondering why I thought it was so expensive when I bought my PS90 and the FN 195 & 197 was $17 a box Roll Eyes fortunately I’ve got 7 boxes left for my AR & Ruger 5-7’s

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see much point to this. The same size and bulk as a 16" AR15 in which you can have a few more effective chamberings.

Something more compact like a P90 with the 50rd magazine makes sense. This thing, I'll pass.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The going rate for FN 5.7 is approx. $45 per box.
If I can get $115 I will certainly sell to anyone who wants any. Its expensive and has been literally since the first round was made. Why at this point I don't know as its components are less than the equivalent .223 round. But here we are.
Nobody new is going to get in until that changes by a lot. I personally don't care as my stocks are deep enough to last till I'm dead.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The going rate for FN 5.7 is approx. $45 per box.
<snip>

Thanks for motivating me to look again!
That’s just what it the few sellers that had any at the show we’re trying to get out of it.
I haven’t seen $45/box for FN ammo for a couple years, I just checked GunBroker and the best I found was 86 cents round ($43 per box), you had to buy 500 rounds to get that price. The worst was $1.20/round, so it’s come down since the last time I looked!

I’ve finally put together everything I need to reload it!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw one and handled it at a local gun show Saturday. Very nice. After researching the 5.7 x 28 round and realizing that the Secret Service is using it, I ordered one a few hours ago (at way, way less than MSRP).

Also have 200 rounds of ammo and two extra factory magazines coming.

If you get your ammo from a reputable dealer, it is not too bad: (FN SS197SR 40GR. V-MAX 5.7X28MM AMMO AVAILABLE IN BOXES OF 50 @ $ 38.99 )

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm amused by the idea of buying boxes of ammo.
You pretty much consume it in cases on these.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

At a local fun show this morning I saw some FN ammo, I think it was the blue tip 197 for $115 per 50 rounds but there were a couple other venders with other brands for $65 per box of 50.
I’m still wondering why I thought it was so expensive when I bought my PS90 and the FN 195 & 197 was $17 a box Roll Eyes fortunately I’ve got 7 boxes left for my AR & Ruger 5-7’s

Ugh... Yeah, that's why I'm not going to buy one. If the price of ammo was ANYWHERE CLOSE TO REASONALBE... I'd love one of these for fun.

But there is NO way I'm paying that much for ammo.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post