SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You know that 5.7x28mm Ruger® LC Carbine™ you've been waiting for, all your life?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know that 5.7x28mm Ruger® LC Carbine™ you've been waiting for, all your life? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Well, its heeeeeeere:

https://www.ruger.com/products...pecSheets/19300.html

"This standard model features a threaded barrel, reversible, side-folding, adjustable stock and 20-round magazine.
Weighing under 6 lbs., the lightweight and compact Ruger® LC Carbine™ utilizes the same steel magazines and familiar ergonomic controls as the Ruger-5.7™ pistol.
Unique bolt-over-barrel design with the magazine in the grip allows for excellent balance and pointability.
Folding stock and collapsible sights are ideal for compact storage.
The reversible folding stock, with adjustable length of pull, is compatible with both AR-pattern and Picatinny rail-mounted aftermarket accessory stocks.
Features a 16.25" fluted, nitride-treated steel barrel for strength, accuracy, and longevity.
1/2"-28 TPI threaded barrel with thread protector allows for the attachment of popular muzzle accessories including muzzle brakes, flash hiders and caliber-appropriate suppressors.
Impressive ergonomics with ambidextrous manual safety, reversible charging handle, ergonomic bolt release and extended magazine release latch.
Utilizes Ruger's safe, reliable and proven Secure Action™ fire-control system that combines a protected internal hammer with a bladed-safety trigger. The trigger has a short, smooth pull, clean break and positive reset.
CNC-milled handguard that is Type III hard-coat anodized aluminum for maximum durability, with M-LOK® accessory attachment slots. Multiple QD sling sockets allow for maximum versatility.
Ruger® Rapid Deploy folding sights are adjustable for windage and elevation and the full length Picatinny rail allows for optic mounting.
Safety features include: 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety; an integrated trigger safety; lightweight firing pin; neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension; and hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
Also includes: one Ruger-5.7™ steel pistol magazine, ambidextrous magazine button, M-LOK® QD sling socket and hex wrenches for disassembly."

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Oh, THAT'S where it was! I knew it was around here somewhere.

I just wish it weren't so . . . I don't want to ugly shame a gun but . . .

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the love fest of the 5.7. If the ammo was even mildly reasonable in price I would try one out but at the current rate, forget it. And yes that is typical Ruger ugly.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Agreed - if the ammo wasn't currently $58+ per box, I'd consider it. I've always wanted a pistol in that caliber and this new offering makes me want one even more, so I can suppress it...but ammo cost isn't enough to top me over yet....my 22mags will do almost the same and not endanger my 401k.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Looks like a hipoint carbine.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it bad when the comparable KelTec product is much better looking? They could have just copied this and upscaled it a bit for 5.7, like that time they copied the KelTec 380.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And I'd have the CMR over the Ruger

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the whole point of a long gun 5.7 is having lots of ammo available. Baseline is PS90 at 50 rounds. What the heck is this silliness of stuffing a pistol mag in one? and worse yet an unreliable pistol mag. Even Keltec got that right. And I'm unaware of any extensions for that mag. Its not like a glock mag where you can get a zillion rounds in a comparable mag even if you start with less.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’ll stick with my AR57 for a companion to the pistol …

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did they have to make it so ugly or is that optional? Yikes!

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I was hoping it would look like the PC carbine to match the 9 and 40.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hell, a version of the old Deerfield would've looked a lot better and can't have shot any worse.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handled one at my LGS today. Should have been released as a pistol with about a 6” barrel and brace. Just doesn’t make sense with a 16” barrel. I get that it’s light, but if you’re going to get a 16” gun, might as well get a 5.56 rifle. Easier ammo availability, higher cap mags, better ballistics.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are perhaps 4 months away from the end of short barrels and braces. Maybe ruger figured that out...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
We are perhaps 4 months away from the end of short barrels and braces. Maybe ruger figured that out...

That’s sort of my guess, that they’re waiting to see what happens. But OTOH, didn’t they bring out the full sized PC carbine first, and the pistol version later? Maybe that’s how they do things.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's my ingrained Block of Glock aesthetic, but I don't think the new Ruger is that ugly. Sexy? Gotta be kidding, right? Boring? Yeah, most definitely.

But certainly not fugly like the PS90, a design apparently inspired by the idea of two snails having sex. Yuck. Razz

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great that ammo suppliers and firearms manufacturers continue to search for new options. But I don't think the 5.7x28 is anything special. It won't replace anything in my safe, nor will it be added to my safe. Aesthetics count for something and Ruger missed the bus on this one.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really think anyone who is not already into 5.7 will get in until there is a dramatic and ongoing change in the supply side, both availability and price. Up with one and down with the other. That said its nice there are now more options for those that have it as a caliber they like. I personally think the PS90 is a nifty and interesting design, but if you want to do things like suppress it, get a decent trigger, etc. etc. its really nice to be able to get things that are much better like the CMMG. And potentially this ruger.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
But certainly not fugly like the PS90, a design apparently inspired by the idea of two snails having sex. Yuck. Razz

It’s better than that Ruger. At least the P90 has curves. That Ruger looks like something someone garbage-picked out of a dumpster at a steel fitting factory and slapped an M4 stock and Magpul flip-ups on it to make a toy gun. People slammed the PC Carbine, which I thought was just fine, but that 5.7 carbine is 6.3 light years of fuckugly. The Keltec pictured looks like something that fell out of that Ruger’s ass.

PSA announced on another forum day before yesterday that they’re getting into the 5.7x28 ammo game. Full power loads, a variety of projectiles. They showed a picture of unprimed cases. Many of them. Will be nice to have another option. FN is stupid expensive, Speer is even more expensive last I looked ($2.50/rd for Golddots makes my ass hurt just thinking about it), and American Eagle is anemic and overpriced for “cheap blaster” ammo and doesn’t fire to point of aim if you’ve zeroed to any other load.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Old is new again, reminds me of the Wilkerson Arms “Linda 9mm”

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post