SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How would you tighten this AR nut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you tighten this AR nut Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted

I have not discovered a spanner tool to tighten the locknut on this RRA CMP tube. I am pretty sure a blade like tool will tap it around .. But how would you do it?

Would you add blue loctite?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
Upper secured, a nice screwdriver carefully placed in the groove, and a smack with a mallet.
Thats how I tightened my timing nut.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Would a strap type wrench work?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
There's got to be a tool for this! Seriously, who would design something for which no tool existed to install it. How did they develop and test it? It would seem obvious, but was the manufacturer (RRA?) able to offer ANY guidance? Does CMP offer a tool? Using a Punch/Screwdriver and a Hammer seems rather crude. It almost sounds like a trick question... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the strap wrench suggestion.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strap wrench may well work great!

However; if you need to apply heavy torque or disassemble regularly; consider using "spindle cap" type pin wrench (like Proto #JC494 pin wrench).

Yes, you will have to drill two (2) 3/16" dia. holes 180 deg. apart in the nut. These holes don't have to go into the internal threads. I'm sure pin wrenches are available having a smaller dia. "pin" and/or accommodating a larger diameter round nut.

It's relatively easy to fabricate any size "custom" pin wrench. That is, if you have a access to a lathe, Bridgeport and welder (or have a friend that does).

Hope I haven't thoroughly confused the issue or proposed a "mega bucks" solution! If the strap wrench works; that's the cheapest,easiest way (my garage is full of machine tools).

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Back when I did mine 10 years ago possibly it was just called the TRO not the TRO CMP so not sure if anything has changed.
But I am pretty sure mine came with a tool.
Been so long I honestly don’t remember but I do love the setup.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
For a strap, there is very little room under the rail overhang

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
YHM tubes I had were like that. I think at one point I had a wrench for it. And then I didn't, and used a screwdriver and a hammer instead. Big Grin (that's not the barrel nut, but a jam nut to hold the tube)

ETA: https://yhm.net/forearm-wrench.html

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My simple answer would be: How would the manufacturer do it? Either they make a tool or they use someone else's. Call them.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Round jaw vice grip pliers?

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
cas for the win. Looks just like my YHM handguards.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
YHM tubes I had were like that. I think at one point I had a wrench for it. And then I didn't, and used a screwdriver and a hammer instead. Big Grin (that's not the barrel nut, but a jam nut to hold the tube)

ETA: https://yhm.net/forearm-wrench.html

You beat me to it. This is the tool I thought of first. I had a YHM tube on my AR pistol and whacked it with a hammer and flathead to tighten it, but would have bought one of these if I hadn't been such a cheap bastard.

Op, that's likely just a lock nut as was mentioned.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Brass punch, it won’t mar the finish on the jam nut like a screwdriver will.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
https://youtu.be/AW8oz_5-0mU

Looks like this is the spanner wrench.
https://firespeedtactical.com/...switch-installation/

I was looking around when Hamden first post this question and come across the same info.

Sadly, it looks like it is no longer in production.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here it is in stock cheaper https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100328399 or https://vtsupply.com/forearm-wrench-yhm-9621.html

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
An adjustable hook spanner wrench might work.

https://www.zoro.com/williams-..._fVtRL8aAnYfEALw_wcB

Posts: 1556 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post