SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    308 Garand Arrived today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Garand Arrived today Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Been wanting one of these, CMP finally got 308 barrels in so I grabbed a Winchester version. I'm not that sentimental WRT the Navy, I've got 10 years, and I'll do my 20, but I'm not one to get a Navy tattoo or anything. With that said, the P226 NSW and this will never go anywhere.

Nice Flambeau box from CMP.

Quick glance online put this somewhere in March 1944.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 8590 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Looking good!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5409 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
2,404,397 should be early June 1944. Right around the D-Day landings, since yours falls within the first 5k or so produced in June 1944, and Winchester were cranking out an average of about 6k per week.

Production in May 1944 ended in the 2,439,000s.

June 1944 production ended in the 2,454,000s.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
2,404,397 should be early June 1944. Right around the D-Day landings, since yours falls within the first 5k or so produced in June 1944, and Winchester were cranking out an average of about 6k per week.

Thanks Rogue.

Tony,
Gonna need a M14 to match the twins at some point. Wink

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gonna need a M14 to match the twins at some point.

You and me both! I keep telling myself I have two Garands and don't need an M1A...but the urge is still there. I used to have access to a couple of M14s through work, and really enjoyed shooting them. We ended up returning them to the people in Anniston, and I miss them badly. I've handled Springfield Armory M1As and was less than impressed with the fit and finish compared to my 80 year-old, mass-produced-in-wartime M1 Garands, but a benny6 build would be just the ticket! The problem is exercising self control for a long enough period of time to accumulate the funds Frown.

Posts: 8590 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!! Looks like a very nice piece of walnut on that Garand. Is that a CMP service grade Expert?

I just picked up my second Garand in 308, a CMP Special put together in late 2013, bought by the guy who sold it to me who did some trigger work and installed national match sights who then put it away without ever shooting it, who then sold it to me. Mine is a Springfield 1.15 mil made in January/February of 1943. The Specials put together back then were of excellent quality, fit and finish with no pitting on the receivers. My other two Specials were of identical stories bought from the same seller, both H&Rs, one in 308 bought three years ago.

I really like my M1a Loaded, but there is just something special about a real M1 Garand.

Please let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I keep telling myself I have two Garands and don't need an M1A...

Oh, but you do... Big Grin

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Rogue, what are you putting on your stocks to create that luster?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pure tung oil.

100% pure. Not the "tung oil finish" found in the hardware store, which is mostly chemical additives.

https://www.realmilkpaint.com/...pure-tung-chinawood/

posted Hide Post
Very nice Garand. Makes me wish I qualified to purchase one for myself.
I am curious why 308 instead of an -06? Ammo availability or ?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2746 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Rogue, what are you putting on your stocks to create that luster?

Danish oil will also give a sheen to your stock. I finished my Garand stock using 3 coats of boiled linseed oil, then with 3 coats of Danish oil at the suggestion of a guy at work. Definitely more sheen than on my stocks finished with just BLO.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Thanks Rogue.

Tony,
Gonna need a M14 to match the twins at some point. Wink

I'd be happy to do it! Pretty much all my customers do it the Johnny Cash way, "One Piece At a Time".

LRB M14 receivers are only a couple of month out at this point and that's the part with the longest lead time. Everything else can pretty much be readily found.

I'm digging the Minelli stocks too! I'll have to ask LRB how many they have left.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5409 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I just recently took delivery of a trade I’d been working for over a year - a Winchester M1 to replace the one I stupidly sold in my early 20’s to pay for rent. My previous was early April of ‘43. This is late February of ‘43, and they’re within 15,000 of each other. Not bad. Yours is in much nicer shape than either of mine.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

If you're an American Citizen over the age of 18 (21 if your state is communist), not a prohibited person, who shoots (has a CHL, FOID, or any other number of possible common documents indicating that you've pulled a trigger), the only thing you'd be missing is to be a member of an affiliated club.

My club is CMP affiliated, so that one was easy for me, but both of my brothers joined the Garand Collector's Association to meet that requirement. It was just a simple online form and $25, IIRC.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

If you're an American Citizen over the age of 18 (21 if your state is communist), not a prohibited person, who shoots (has a CHL, FOID, or any other number of possible common documents indicating that you've pulled a trigger), the only thing you'd be missing is to be a member of an affiliated club.

My club is CMP affiliated, so that one was easy for me, but both of my brothers joined the Garand Collector's Association to meet that requirement. It was just a simple online form and $25, IIRC.

Their qualifications sound confusing but they are fairly easy. I filled out the order form, mailed it with a copy of my birth certificate, and my CAC, which luckily for me takes care of the safety course and club affiliation in one.

Funny enough, this shipped faster than the web slings I ordered from them, took about 24 days I believe.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Looks great. I have several garands in 30-06 and recently sent in paperwork for a 308 for the collection. CMP emailed me saying they were waiting on more to be built.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the recent past 308 was cheaper than 30.06, especially after '06 surplus supplies dried up while there was still surplus 7.62X51 available. Not so much anymore it doesn't seem. There is/was also the notion that 308 is inherently more accurate. Probably true, but all academic to a duffer like me. Probably the biggest advantage to me is that 308 is much more forgiving on the action than '06 in that it is strongly suggested that Garand owners buy or load and shoot ammo specifically loaded to work with the Garand gas systems, whereas pretty much any 7.62X51 or 308 works well.

I just liked the idea of owning a Garand in 308.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a 30-06, and given my active duty service to the Navy, I wanted a .308. I know it’s not original Navy hardware but all the same to me.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably the biggest advantage to me is that 308 is much more forgiving on the action than '06 in that it is strongly suggested that Garand owners buy or load and shoot ammo specifically loaded to work with the Garand gas systems, whereas pretty much any 7.62X51 or 308 works well.

Interesting...I guess I never looked into this. I handload all of my .30-06 Garand ammo with published "Garand-Safe" recipes to keep from damaging the op-rod, but I guess I'd never considered if the same had to be done for the .308 Garands, or for that matter the M14. So you can feed a .308 Garand pretty much any SAAMI Spec ammo?