SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is the word on Christensen Arms??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the word on Christensen Arms?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Don’t really know anything about them. I knew they made a 10/22ish carbon fiber bolt gun to the tune of $800ish and that has zero appeal to me so I never paid much attention or looked any further to them.

Well we got in a Christensen Arms Ca5Five6 which is their AR. Wow this thing is a really good looking rifle and on top of that it is rather lightweight with fantastic balance.
Street price of about $1497 a bit on the higher end but not really that bad. Their website claims sub MOA accuracy.
Kind of a Gucci rifle look without being over the top. Just grabbed a random pic off the Google but none of them really do the rifle justice in how they look in person. Again, not just a good looking rifle but the weight and balance feel great. But are they quality??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Christensen rifles. I bought them after reloading for a buddy who had great results with their custom barreled hunting rifles.

My first MPR was an absolute drill! Consistent sub 1/2 MOA groups with carefully made handloads. My second MPR had a bad barrel (verified by borescope pictures). Christensen rebarreled it for free but I 'd much prefer not having a $2500 rifle leave the factory with a defective barrel in the first place.

My conclusion would be that Christensen rifles are inconsistent. Some of them can be great, others maybe not so much. They did give me very good customer service.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
They had a $250 rebate on their $850 MSRP Ranger .22 bolt rifle that ended last weekend. I almost hit "complete order" because PSA's before rebate price was very good. Decided to do some research and a lot of people had feed and extraction problems. In all cases CA stepped up and made it right but that was too large a sample of guns having to go back for a bolt .22 that cost that much.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3427 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with them at this time. I have read a 50/50 love/hate of that company.

Some rifles are good and some are lemons.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Decided to do some research and a lot of people had feed and extraction problems. In all cases CA stepped up and made it right but that was too large a sample of guns having to go back for a bolt .22 that cost that much.

The Ranger rebate deal was mentioned in SigFreund's thread on upper-level .22 rifles. I checked reviews, I think on sportsman.com, and they were very mixed. I came to the same conclusion as Blackmore.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak to their AR platform, but I own 3 Christensen bolt actions. Two are Ridgelines in 6.5 PRC and 22-250. Both have been flawless, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot. The third is a 30 Nosler that I bought from Europtic. I think it was a special configuration Christensen did for them that may have been kludged together to achieve a lower price point. The rifle just would not hold zero. I sent it back and Christensen replaced the stock, saying it was out of spec. The rifle is now supremely accurate.

So - in general good reviews for the rifles and service.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have one of their Ranger .22 bolt guns. Uses 10/22 magazines. Light as a feather and very accurate. It did have to go back for an extraction issue but it was handled smoothly and quickly. No issues since.
I'd buy another.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see this before, but I jumped on the Ranger last week - Whittaker's had $709 + $250 rebate. Still 4 days left on the rebate offer...

Haven't shot it yet, still scope shopping, but it's light & feels good. Extracted a mag & ejected forcefully, so maybe the teething problems were corrected. We shall see.

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I've got one of their VTAC AR's and really enjoy it. I've never run it like a combat gun but it's more accurate than I deserve, runs 100% and is a pleasure to carry, being lightweight. It's my version of a varmint AR that I plan to put on a few foxes or wolves at some point. It was overpriced but I was drawn to it and don't regret it.

I also have one of the Ranger .22s that was an early model from Sportsmans and I haven't had any extraction/ejection issues like many reported. Maybe one day, but if it does have an issue, I'm certain they'll take care of it.

Overall happy with both products.

Posts: 818 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good that a company like Christensen has good customer service. It's Best if nobody ever needs it!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just breaking in one of their Ridgeline Scout rifles. So far I've gotten dope from 100 to 600,yards and with casual handloads it is sub MOA and very light. I suspect if I worked up a load for the rifle it would easily be 1/3 MOA. Fit and finish is about what I expected for the price. And I really like a magazine fed bolt rifle.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has one of their .22 bolt guns and the thing is just bad ass. Stupid light and stupid accurate with a ridiculously nice trigger. Before I shot it I questioned paying 800+ for a .22 but afterwards I plan on getting one

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
I'm just breaking in one of their Ridgeline Scout rifles. So far I've gotten dope from 100 to 600,yards and with casual handloads it is sub MOA and very light. I suspect if I worked up a load for the rifle it would easily be 1/3 MOA. Fit and finish is about what I expected for the price. And I really like a magazine fed bolt rifle.

I fondled one at the LGS last weekend and have successfully fought the urge to go back and buy it.

Please do not post pictures of your Scout & scope setup. Smile

Um, in which caliber is yours chambered?

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I wish their bolt action pistols weren’t AICS-mags-only since those are needlessly expensive. I do like the idea for hunting tho.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I wish their bolt action pistols weren’t AICS-mags-only since those are needlessly expensive. I do like the idea for hunting tho.

It says AICS compatible and the Magpuls are like $30. Which is not terrible.

Though my question is they offer one in .300blk but everything I have read is that .300blk and AICS don’t play well at all.
Every other bolt gun or chassis I have come across is not to do it.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Though my question is they offer one in .300blk but everything I have read is that .300blk and AICS don’t play well at all.

I have a Defiance bolt action in .223 with Grayboe bottom metal for AICS. I use Accurate Mag DSSF magazines -- single stack 10 rounds. The DSSG mags work flawlessly.

I loaded the mags with both subsonic and supersonic ammo in the DSSF mags. They loaded fine and seemed to strip without issues. Since I don't have a 300blk chambered gun, I can't confirm how rounds would actually feed in a 300blk rifle.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

I have a Defiance bolt action in .223 with Grayboe bottom metal for AICS. I use Accurate Mag DSSF magazines -- single stack 10 rounds. The DSSG mags work flawlessly.

I loaded the mags with both subsonic and supersonic ammo in the DSSF mags. They loaded fine and seemed to strip without issues. Since I don't have a 300blk chambered gun, I can't confirm how rounds would actually feed in a 300blk rifle.

Nearly all the mag and chassis descriptions I have come across denote a chambering issue with .300blk and AICS pattern mags.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearly all the mag and chassis descriptions I have come across denote a chambering issue with .300blk and AICS pattern mags.

Are the descriptions using 223 Accurate Mags?

I'm down to 4 factory 300 blackout loads right now:
- Aussie Outback 125 SMK
- Hornady 110 VMax
- Magtech 123 FMJ
- S&B 200 FMJ
I tested all four in my rifle, seeing if the action would strip the rounds without hanging up in the barrel's feed ramp. All four loads popped right out of the mag and up into the chamber. Of course, I didn't jam the bolt hard forward, as this rifle is chambered in 223.

A common mag and load problem is the bullet's nose not lifting as it exits the mag, and thus the bullet nose dives into the feed ramp, then stops dead. Very common with short loads in AICS 308-length mags -- like 6BR and 6 Dasher. This is why some 6mm shooters put a spacer in the back of 308 AICS mags and/or slightly bend out the mag's feed lips.

But the Accurate Mag DSSF is built for the shorter 223 loads. There's a spacer in the back of the DSSF mag and the feed lip profile looks a little different than with my regular 308 AICS mags.

Try contacting Accurate Mag.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had not come across Accurate mags. Their description says nothing for or against .300 but seems someone on Reddit had issues.
https://www.reddit.com/r/300BL...aics_mags_that_work/

Magpul says not a good idea with their mags.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com...l-aics-short-action/

MDT says their mags are good to go because they are actually fatter in the rear than all other AICS mags so they might not fit all chassis.

https://blackcollararms.com/pr...-poly-aics-magazine/

While it seems it can work it is hit or miss. I am not looking for hit or miss.
Wanted to keep weight and size down but may just end up doing a .308. Should be quiet enough.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I have buddies with 223 bolt actions, with AICS bottom metal. They tried MDT -- stated they generally work, but once in a while would jam when they were cycling at a fast pace, and throwing the bolt forward. They had no issues with the more expensive Accurate Mags. Based on their experience, I own only Accurate Mags.

From what I see in your links, some of the people are trying to use 300blk rounds in a stock 308 AICS mag -- except maybe for altering the feed lips. That's a recipe for failure. I don't see any discussions of the Accurate Mag DSSF mag, which is different from a normal AICS 308 mag.