SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Belt fed advice/opinion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belt fed advice/opinion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^ True, but it obviously was designed so that a magazine COULD be used if need be. The main reason why I initially asked the question was because some people who had been in the military had commented on other websites that mags didn't work so well. Good to hear that you're having luck though.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I have several semi belt feds and my vote would be the 249s. Factory gun has its benefits as others have mentioned, and it's pretty darn fun to buy a bunch of M249 parts and be able to use them. I spent a few years picking up different pieces and really enjoy the gun. Trigger isn't the best but mine has been reliable and I haven't had any issues.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I got the itch for a beltfed after shooting a buddy’s HK23E from Michael’s Machine … however after seeing an Ares Defense that’s what I went with and it scratched the itch!

I wanted to go with the 223/5.56 because of ammo prices so I bought the “lite” version that didn’t come with sights or carry handle & a skinny 16” barrel. After getting the 12” heavy barrel & f/a bolt I had less than $5k in it. I picked up some 200 end boxes and nut-sacks at gun shows, it’ll also run on mags & beta-mags. I can run it on a semi or use my binary lower or my M16.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I have several semi belt feds and my vote would be the 249s. Factory gun has its benefits as others have mentioned, and it's pretty darn fun to buy a bunch of M249 parts and be able to use them.

What is this buttstock arrangement? I've been looking for a solid way to get a higher cheekrest.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
It's the current m249 "improved" 240 style stock. The stock itself isn't too hard to find but the high cheek riser was. Most of the time they have the low one. Gunbroker is probably your best bet.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I'm not laying on the ground to fire any weapon. My fat a$$ deserves a camping stool.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find transferable fullauto 1919s for $20-25k. If you’re willing to spend $10k, just go the extra mile and get the real deal fullauto 1919.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What makes a 249 jam with mags is that the 249 needs em faster than the mag can give them, I think you’d be fine in a semi auto

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have a 249s and really like until I sent it in for the mandatory factory recall. Originally it was easy to rack and had a decent 6lb trigger pull. When I got it back it too 3 men and a boy to rack and the trigger pull was 16LB's. That ruined the 2249s as far as I'm concerned. I've only fired it once since I got it back from FN so now it's a safe queen. Save your money and get a 1919.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YMMV, but I have used a 249s. Probably shot 300-400 rds through one. The trigger is pretty terrible (9+ lbs) and has a longer travel. It's a novelty more than anything, and the accuracy was not super impressive. Unless you are using a select fire setup, the utility of these belt fed 5.56 platforms is outweighed by the cost and weight. I haven't tried the fightlight MCR, but the price seems somewhat outrageous for those as well.

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post