SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Belt fed advice/opinion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belt fed advice/opinion Login/Join 
posted
So, I’m looking to jump into a belt fed platform. I’m considering the FN 249s and the Browning 1919. For those of you who own or have used them, I’m in need of opinions as I’ve had no experience with either. Thanks.

Posts: 503 | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking at an ares defense upper. Might be of interest to you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1flynDO,

Posts: 1740 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the dufflebag full of Benjamins to toss in the fire, I suggest the M249S. Factory produced and warrantied by FN, uses the full array of M249 accessories, and at least the one I had wasn’t picky on used vs new links. It was way too easy to burn 500+ rounds in less than an hour with ammo pre-linked and spare barrels on hand.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 249s and its very nice, but the ares defense (fightlite) upper has some advantages if you happen to have an sbr or registered lower. I have no experience with a 1919 but would love to have one, but I think I'm way better off wasting 5.56 IMO.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely like the “wow” factor and the availability of accessories for the 249s, plus much more portable than the 1919. And I also know my great grandkids won’t be able to wear out the 1919.

posted Hide Post
If you can find a FM-9 upper those are pretty fun too. If you use it on a FA or binary-trigger lower, hunt for spare parts…we busted the firing pin in under 1,500 rounds on a rental at the range used to work at. It was finicky with links too…even once-fired.

For a semi-auto belt fed, I’ll stand with my vote for the M249S. One in halfway decent shape can haul the rifle, linked ammo, and spare barrels in one trip from the car to the range. The 1919 with a wheel/rotary trigger would be cool if is mostly stationary or vehicle mounted!

posted Hide Post
quote:
One in halfway decent shape can haul the rifle, linked ammo, and spare barrels in one trip from the car to the range

yea, you are not taking enough ammo. Gun (1 trip), Ammo (1 trip), spares box and shooting supplies (1 trip), targets and frames (1 trip)...

posted Hide Post
You really don’t want a 249.. I’d get a 1919 or the Aries upper and fun trigger for it. The 249 has a trigger that id compare to a squeeze lever on a windex bottle, they are not reliable, and will fall apart with time. Yes I know the army guns have been through a lot but still, I never had one that was reliable or not a rattle can piece of shit.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
are we talking Semi or Full Auto?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
M249S would be my pick, it's the only original factory produced (as opposed to being built on a parts kit by some boutique shop or third party mfg) semi auto that actually works reliably.

Another suggestion (since you've got cash to burn, it seems) would be the OOW M240 SLR.

Just about everything else that's available on the market would have somewhat dubious reliability or function.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My buddy has a 1919 in 308. It’s big, clunky, not really portable, but you will never wear it out. His friend has several of them in several calibers.

We had 240B in the CG not the 249-so I can’t weigh in on them.

But if I were making that decision, I’d go with the SAW-based on the availability & cost of 5.56 v 7.62

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
1919 can sling black tip, if that does anything for you. Sadly M2HB kits and guns have skyrocketed in price.

Posts: 9943 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think If I were to embrace full auto:
1918 Browning Automatic Rifle.
Ohio Ordinance make a semi auto clone, which is tempting. But its 4K+!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the M-249. You can step up a grade to the M-240 and really have fun with .308!

They are EXPENSIVE toys that are EXPENSIVE to feed!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8317 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not looking to go full auto. I’ve looked at the .308 240, but then I’m back to the expense of ammo that plagues the 1919. But, I believe that the 1919 will last several generations. Tougher decision than expected.

posted Hide Post
I don't know why a 249s would not last a very long time. Semi its not huge rounds. ALL the parts are easy to stockpile.

posted Hide Post
For those of you having experience with the semi auto FN M249, do they function well with both belts and magazines?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
For those of you having experience with the semi auto FN M249, do they function well with both belts and magazines?

I fed just a single 30-round mag through mine and it worked flawlessly. I snagged links at very reasonable prices and just made belts while watching TV…new or used (not rusted) links worked 100%. I had a buddy with a Ares upper on a M16A1 that only liked new, lightly lubricator links…despite being just Semi-Auto, I was impressed how the M249S ate everything I fed it.

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
If you go the 1919 route, be sure to track down one of the crank fire trigger adaptors. Then turn it slowly, as fast cranking will outrun the gun and lock it up. They weren't fast cycling guns like the Germans, more of a chunk chunk chunk pace.

Fun as all get out and parts are easy to come by.
http://www.crankfiresystems.com/CrankfireProducts.php

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't give you a good 'serious use' answer as I don't run a lot of mags. But no issues when I do. And if you look at the feed path there really isn't anything that can be screwed up with a mag in it. But, of course, what is the point of running it with a mag. Save those for your pedestrian AR's. It takes no time to make belts of any amount of rounds so even if I want small round counts I just make small belts. I have never found what I think are 'cheap links' but they aren't too bad and they are easy enough to get (though I have ordered big volumes boxes they never seem to show up so I mostly have bought them in the FN boxes).