SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New question about mounting a suppressor to a PCC? In OP*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New question about mounting a suppressor to a PCC? In OP* Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I’ve ordered the .45 3 lug mount and adapter from Rugged. However, the Banshee is currently set up with a linear comp under a BCM 10” rail (barrel is 8”). BCM ID is too small, so I was looking at Aero, spikes, and a few other larger ID rails.

Is there any disadvantage to having the suppressor recessed into the hand guard?
Does the 3 lug mount allow for straight on and off with a twist?
There isn’t any ratcheting device I need to depress as far as I can tell.

Experience and opinions appreciated.

OP:

Picked up a 45 Obsidian yesterday. Gonna use it to the CMMG MK10 and hand load rounds for it.

Is the tri-lug mounts the way to go? I'll never swap it onto a pistol. I have no desire to be honest, it'll live on the PCC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume that a MK10 is 10mm? That complicates life. In 9mm HK 3 lug is the standard and its simply what you should use. In other calibers there really is no standard. Rugged makes a B&T compatible .45 3 lug (I use that). SO to me the best answer would be the Rugged .45 3 lug and the associated Obsidian .45 3 lug. I have done some other solutions on my 10mm B&T but since you already have the obsidian the .45 trilug would be what I would do.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11197 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If it's going to live on that PCC, you might just direct thread it, at least for now. About five to seven wraps of yellow plumber's tape will keep it from walking off, hell you'll have to work to get it off.

If you want to remove it to make it more compact for storage or whatever, about the only way to beat tri lug is Griffin's EZ-Lok. Nearly as fast, just as secure, and no need to check your index, the threads do it for you.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I assume that a MK10 is 10mm? That complicates life. In 9mm HK 3 lug is the standard and its simply what you should use. In other calibers there really is no standard. Rugged makes a B&T compatible .45 3 lug (I use that). SO to me the best answer would be the Rugged .45 3 lug and the associated Obsidian .45 3 lug. I have done some other solutions on my 10mm B&T but since you already have the obsidian the .45 trilug would be what I would do.

Okay, thank you, Looks like Rugged makes a tri-lug adapter for .578x28.

P220,

The dealer mentioned the Griffon loks, it looked like more of a pistol option to be honest. Is that not the case?

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Can be used on pistol and PCC's, you just remove the booster when you have it on a PCC and add it if you want to swap the can to a pistol. I may very well be going that route so I can move my one pistol can around.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Griffin's EZ-Lok

P220Smudge did you look that there is an adapter for the Obsidian? lots of other taper options offer one, but I didn't in a quick look see it for the Griffin.

posted Hide Post
OttoSig there are many, many taper mount options that can be made to work with what you are asking that have varying levels of capability. Me personally I have no griffin experience so you would have to evaluate that, I've heard various levels of satisfaction. But I wouldn't pick any of the taper options over 3 lug in this case. If you wanted to put your Obsidian on other guns, then yes there is a reason to consider them.

posted Hide Post
There are Griffin Cam-Lok and Ez-Lok pistons for the Obsidian 45. They also make the associated muzzle devices in .578x28. I use them with the Obsidian 45 on a LWRC SMG-45. Initially used cam-lok, but went to ez-Lok when it came out, because it’s a little easier to align and get on and off. Note that the system uses the booster piston, so if you use it on a fixed barrel, you need to replace the piston spring with a fixed barrel spacer.

As for using three-lug, note that three-lug adapters and muzzle devices are different for .45 and 9mm. If you want to use your can for different PCCs in both calibers, you’ll need adapters for both calibers (I.e. don’t use a .45 3-lug adapter on a 9mm 3-lug muzzle).

Posts: 3421 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
There are Griffin Cam-Lok and Ez-Lok pistons for the Obsidian 45. They also make the associated muzzle devices in .578x28. I use them with the Obsidian 45 on a LWRC SMG-45. Initially used cam-lok, but went to ez-Lok when it came out, because it’s a little easier to align and get on and off. Note that the system uses the booster piston, so if you use it on a fixed barrel, you need to replace the piston spring with a fixed barrel spacer.

As for using three-lug, note that three-lug adapters and muzzle devices are different for .45 and 9mm. If you want to use your can for different PCCs in both calibers, you’ll need adapters for both calibers (I.e. don’t use a .45 3-lug adapter on a 9mm 3-lug muzzle).

Alright, so two options, the CAM/EZ-Lok with the .578x24 .45 ACP (or smaller) barrel device. With this I'll need the barrel spacer instead of the spring, think I did read that on the website for both Griffin and Rugged.

Or...

The Rugged, with the .45 ACP (or smaller) 3-lug set-up.

posted Hide Post
There are way more than two options as lots of other taper mounts besides griffin can be configured to work. That said me personally I am not a huge fan of the fixed barrel spacer situation but in reality everyone mfg offers one and there are not lots of complaints about them. Dwill104 on the LWRC needs a booster so that really doesn't apply in your case.
I am not sure what you mean by the "(or smaller). For what you are doing with Rugged parts you need the .45 trilug for the obsidian and the .45 trilug muzzle device.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are way more than two options as lots of other taper mounts besides griffin can be configured to work. That said me personally I am not a huge fan of the fixed barrel spacer situation but in reality everyone mfg offers one and there are not lots of complaints about them. Dwill104 on the LWRC needs a booster so that really doesn't apply in your case.
I am not sure what you mean by the "(or smaller). For what you are doing with Rugged parts you need the .45 trilug for the obsidian and the .45 trilug muzzle device.

That's how they describe it on their website, presumably meaning, "or smaller (Caliber)"

posted Hide Post
OK I get it. Obviously (and this is your case) you can run anything less than .45 through the ,45 3lug and the can. What is a configuration that won't work for you is you can get a 9mm trilug for the obsidian 45 (which is something I actually do) and run it on 9's. Not ok on 10's.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK I get it. Obviously (and this is your case) you can run anything less than .45 through the ,45 3lug and the can. What is a configuration that won't work for you is you can get a 9mm trilug for the obsidian 45 (which is something I actually do) and run it on 9's. Not ok on 10's.

Yup, basically, can always go smaller, but never bigger deal. I'm sure they put it on the website after answering enough, "Will 10mm or .40 work with the .45 item"

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
New questions in OP.

posted Hide Post
No issues on 3 lug with straight in and turn you don't need any movement off the axis of the barrel. No idea on handguard.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
No issues on 3 lug with straight in and turn you don't need any movement off the axis of the barrel. No idea on handguard.

Thank you, thinking it over it’s gonna get hot as hell there, likely too hot to touch. Might be best just to go with the 7” handguard. I’ll get the adapter to see if it clears the 8” BCM rail.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Pistol cans don't get as hot as rifle cans. I think a couple inches of inset isn't going to make much difference. If you're burning it down so much the can is smoking, the whole gun is going to be hot enough you're gonna want gloves anyway.

Did a suppressed "subgun" shoot last weekend with some friends. One of them has a CMMG Banshee with a Midwest rail that's at least several inches longer than his barrel. He has a semi-nested tri lug setup, and while we didn't shoot a ton out of that gun, the heat wasn't a problem. Mind you, it was 111 degrees out and my black hard sided rifle case that got left in the sun was too hot to handle, but everything in the shade was all reasonably cool to the touch. Again, pistol cans.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Pistol cans don't get as hot as rifle cans. I think a couple inches of inset isn't going to make much difference. If you're burning it down so much the can is smoking, the whole gun is going to be hot enough you're gonna want gloves anyway.

Did a suppressed "subgun" shoot last weekend with some friends. One of them has a CMMG Banshee with a Midwest rail that's at least several inches longer than his barrel. He has a tri lug setup, and while we didn't shoot a ton out of that gun, the heat wasn't a problem. Mind you, it was 111 degrees out and my black hard sided rifle case that got left in the sun was too hot to handle, but everything in the shade was all reasonably cool to the touch. Again, pistol cans.

Thanks, Smudge. Maybe if I put a hand stop to keep my hand behind the muzzle it’ll work out okay.

I dislike that none of the larger OF handrails omit the top rail. They all have a full length top rail, coupled with the extra OD, this is a .25” bigger than the BCM rail.

posted Hide Post
FWIW I have a colt pattern 9mm AR in which the suppressor is under the hand guard for about 2+ inches and I don't notice any particular problems with heat. Its not where my hands naturally go with my shooting style but it also doesn't demand that I don't touch the hand guard there.

Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I have an MPX with a 6.5” barrel, and a 10” MI hand guard. I have never noticed any particular heat transfer to the handguard.

As far as advantages? Well, the biggest one is that you can get your left hand further out, which improves handling and transitions with the gun. More importantly, it more closely mimics my primary AR SBRs in overall ergonomics. It also helps when shooting off of a supported position, so you aren’t inadvertently putting transverse pressure on your can and causing baffle strikes.

I don’t use hand stops or VFGs, but if you did, a longer hand-guard gives you more real estate there. Similarly if you have tons of lasers and lights or other whirlygigs.

Posts: 854 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post