SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Replace or modify stock on Remington 870
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace or modify stock on Remington 870 Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
VTHoky, have you looked into a Knoxx reduced-recoil stock for the 870?
I have an older model, and it really does reduce felt recoil a lot.
This one at Brownells has LOP adjustable from 12.5 to 15.2 inches.

Brownells: Knoxx Stock for 870

Edited to add: they are on backorder at Brownells, but I just ordered one because I recall the cheek slap on the model I have could be pretty nasty; supposedly that's been eliminated on the Gen III model.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Dr. T! I hadn't seen the Knoxx goods.

I realized after reading your message this morning that I'm the one wanting to keep the walnut... I need to ask TLG about her thoughts on polymer (Knoxx/Magpul). I think that recoil pad looks like a serious absorber.

How soon do you expect to have yours and get a chance to evaluate?

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry but these guys are giving you bad information and leading you astray.

The right thing to do is buy another shotgun that already has a youth stock on it. Smile

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'm sorry but these guys are giving you bad information and leading you astray.

The right thing to do is buy another shotgun that already has a youth stock on it. Smile

This is 100% correct.

I have two 870s - really old 870P and a newer 870 20 gauge set up as a mini me of the 870P.

Both wear the 12" Hogue stock. Nice cushion and it makes it unmiserable to shoot for weekend class. Instructors have shoot both and at first, they look at the 12" stock and think it's a gimmick of some sort. Not at all. It's perfect if you wear thick clothes and body armor.

You can always shoot a short stock well but you can't shoot a longer one very long because of the blading needed to adopt to the long stock.

It's a very good stock - 12" LOP Hogue.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
And most importantly, missing out on an excuse to buy another gun. Big Grin

Though if you have an 870 and nothing else, I'd suggest trying something else. Because, well.. it's fun.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

You're a pusher, man. Just like stickman428. Razz

(Not that I'm complaining... I'm always down for a good reason to pick up another 870.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It’s backordered, VT, so I don’t know.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The Knoxx stock arrived today from Brownells. I’ll try to get out to the range and give you a report.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Dr. T!

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, cas, you win. I found a deal on a Mossberg today, and picked it up after work.

It's a 500 Super Bantam. Length of pull is 12", but can be increased to 13 with the included spacer. The barrel is 22", while I was looking to keep close to 18", but that'll be just fine. Dual-bead sights, three chokes included, and pretty darned light.

Definitely looking forward to getting some range time.

Question: is the 500 series inherently better than the 88 series? I saw (just a few minutes ago) Mossberg's Maverick 88 Bantam for about $120 less. I hope I didn't screw up....

God bless America.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes. The 88 is the budget line. The underlying mechanical design is the same, but the 88 is rougher in fit and finish than the 500. It also can't accept all of the plethora of aftermarket Mossberg parts.

On the other end of the spectrum are the 590s, which are the higher-end military/police models.

(Kinda equivalent to Remington's Express/Wingmaster/Police lines. Or the Marlin/Glenfield lines from back in the day, if you remember that.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
If you are considering having the stock shortened and a new recoil pad installed, may I suggest Simmons Gun Repair (www.simmonsguns.com). Someone here recommended them and I recently had them shorten my Browning A5 stock and install a new buttpad (grind to fit Pachmayr pad). I ordered the pad and then sent it and the stock and measurements I wanted it cut for to them and had it back within 10 days or so. Spoke on the phone prior to shipping and they called when it was shipped back. Excellent work at what I felt was a reasonable price, and the stock looks great. They did a wonderful job with minimal fuss, exactly what I expected.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recommendation!
I'll check it out.

God bless America.