SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Replace or modify stock on Remington 870
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace or modify stock on Remington 870 Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF.

I recently picked up an 18" Remington 870 for The Lovely Girlfriend to learn with. The problem we have is that the length of pull is too long for her. It's a standard stock, so LOP is something like 14". The compact/junior models are more like 12". (Remington's 81161 is what I'm really after, but can't find it anywhere.)

I'd like to keep the wooden stock and forend on this one, rather than switching to synthetic or an adjustable. So my questions are, 1) is it possible to shorten the original stock and reshape the butt pad to match it (takes greater skill than I have), or does someone (Boyd's, for instance) offer a short-LOP replacement walnut stock?

I did check Boyd's, and didn't find what I'm after, but I figure there are other companies that have similar offerings.

Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13410 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Search the net for a factory "Youth" stock. There are a few on ebay right now, although synthetic is likely going to be easier to find than wood.

Or you could just tell her to grow. My wife is 5'3" (I'm 6'5")...she really appreciates it when I say that Big Grin.

Posts: 8393 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
You're trying to get me smacked, aren't ya?

God bless America.

Posts: 13410 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Besides a youth or bantam stock, what about Magpul with all the spacers removed? LOP range is ~12.3-14.3 in.

The slightly more vertical grip may help with comfort for a smaller person, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hogue makes a youth stock also.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Big Grin
You're trying to get me smacked, aren't ya?

Maybe, lol. But you could also go the other way and tell her the "youth" stock is due to her youthful appearance and beauty...might score you some points Big Grin!

I know you said you are looking for a wood stock, but I've heard great things about the magpul stock that flesheatingvirus mentioned above. I know they look kinda goofy, but that are supposed to provide excellent ergonomics for operating the gun, especially for folks who need a shorter LOP.

Posts: 8393 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Magul 870 stock is great, due to both the adjustable LOP and the ergonomics. Looks weird; works great.

But if you want to retain the wood stock look, the easiest route will be to replace it with a wooden Youth stock. Cutting down your current stock and custom fitting a new buttpad is doable, but it sounds like it would require sending it off, so it could end up being more expensive than just buying and installing a used Youth stock.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
tell her the "youth" stock is due to her youthful appearance and beauty...might score you some points Big Grin!

Now we're on the right path!

I'm totally down for the Magpul -- on my gun. Heck, I'd like that "tacky" rubber Hougue unit, too. TLG is not such a fan of those, though.

I'll have to keep looking for the youth stock for her gun. Last night's web search didn't return great results. I did, however, find a couple of Fieldmaster compact 870s. I'm such an 870 nerd, I'm half tempted to get one of those too.

("New gun? What new gun, sweetness?") Wink

God bless America.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Put a pistol grip on it, have her shoot a box or two of 2.75” slugs and the LOP problem will sailor itself.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Put a pistol grip on it, have her shoot a box or two of 2.75” slugs and the LOP problem will sailor itself.

Yeah, a gal who's probably 5 foot nothin and never used a shotgun. Give her some of the stiffest shooting 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge shells made and turn her loose. That will solve the problem, she will never ever touch a shotgun again.

Note, I shoot Skeet to the tune of 11,000 rounds last year. Also work as a Shotgun RSO. Last year at the State Skeet Championships my 4 man squad was assigned a floater because 5 man squads are required. Our floater was a fine young lady of about 10 years of age, about 4 foot 7" and all of perhaps 85 pounds. She handled the 12 gauge event quite well with a score of 87 hits out of 100 targets. So tiny little women can handle a 12 gauge shotgun if they are PROPERLY trained.

First you start with a proper mount and an emphasis on the how and why pulling the gun into the shoulder is critical. Next up is a proper cheek weld to the stock that places their shooting eye perfectly in line with the rib. If you aren't knowledgeable about how to mount a shotgun properly go to almost any shotgun specific range and ask for assistance. Shotgun ranges are very much in need to new customers and free instruction for newer shooters is Standard Operating Procedure. As for ammo, start with Low Recoil target loads, something like a 1 ounce load at 1100 fps.

PS; Occasionally I'll take a break from my Over/Unders and will take my 870 out for a round or 3 of Skeet. For those interested in becoming highly skilled with a Pump Action shotgun there is no finer means to gain those skills than by shooting Skeet. It will teach you point shooting at moving targets and how to cycle a pump fast enough to hit 2 separate targets launched at the same time.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5607 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Is it a 12ga? I’ve not had much luck finding a wood youth stock for a 12ga 870. They make synthetic youth stocks but the wood ones are hard, or impossible to find.

Here’s a comparison pic that might help.

Left to right:

- 20ga 870 express magnum with a factory wood youth stock and slide, which is extended to help with the reach.

- 12ga 870 Police with factory full size wood stock and slide.

- 12ga 870 express magnum with Hogue youth synthetic stock and extended slide

- 12ga 590 (which started life as a shockwave) with the MagPul SGA stock and no spacers.

Don’t discount the extra length slide. It makes a huge difference and I’d highly recommend getting one along with the shorter stock.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magpul makes some great stuff and they're adjustable.

Or "Option B" is get a wood stock off the internet somewhere and start sawing. The rubber but plate will need to be trimmed, and the long bolt will need to be modified, but I think that will be pretty easy depending on how handy you are.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8314 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t get those hollow Remington branded plastic stocks. Not enough weight. If you trying shooting 3” Mag buckshoot with that stock, you’ll wish you didn’t.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Magpul 870 stock. I replaced my folding stock and pistol grip on the 870 with it. Agree, the Magpul stock compared to the wood one looks weird but it works and holds great.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's going to be her shotgun and she wants a wood stock, I'd recomend taking it to a gunsmith and having it cut down and fitted with a nice recoil pad.

If you are not sure about keeping her, I'd get a used 870 stock off ebay and have it cut down.

The easy button as mention above is the Houge over molded 12" LOP stock for $79. Just make sure you read the instructions. Some of the old 870s had a steel plate that goes in front of the wooden stock, that the hogue doesn't require IIRC. I've had one on my 870 for around a decade and it's been fine with OO buck.

Posts: 4539 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd get a used 870 stock off ebay and have it cut down.

Buy a used stock and forearm and have the stocked fitted to her with a limbsaver buttpad. You can refinish the set if need be (an easy job). And you retain the factory stock set in case you want to sell the gun down the line. You could probably sell the fitted set pretty easily if that becomes the case. Trust me give her what she wants. It will give her an investment in the gun and make her feel more involved in the process (always a good thing).

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I see what you guys are doing now! Razz
I'm going to have to buy another wooden-stocked 870 that I know I'll convert to Hogue or Magpul, and then have that stock and forend worked to fit her gun. Cool

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I see what you guys are doing now! Razz
I'm going to have to buy another wooden-stocked 870 that I know I'll convert to Hogue or Magpul, and then have that stock and forend worked to fit her gun. Cool

Gunbroker has a couple used 870 police models advertised. His and Hers, just saying.

Posts: 4539 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
You're a pusher, man. Razz

(Though I do like the "look what I bought us" aspect of the His and Hers plan.)

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You're a pusher, man. Razz

(Though I do like the "look what I bought us" aspect of the His and Hers plan.)

That way yours dosen't become hers.

I did similar a couple years ago with some used 870s from Summit gun broker. It turned into a fun project.