SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Update - Did a little loading yesterday ... its been a while!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update - Did a little loading yesterday ... its been a while! Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a a chance to get back out ... finishing up hunny-do's before starting back to work next Monday

BUT

Thanks for the technique tips, I'll be sure to incorporate them, looking forward to trying the mono-pod again, if I remember correctly it was kind of a PITA so I'd either use my hand or a bag depending on the stock.

When your shooting, do you use your left hand to help hold the barrel down to keep your scope on poi or is it in the type of bipod?

Initally when I started loading and striving for the smallest possiable group, it was to eliminate the weapon, ammo from the equation of my skill. Then a fellow range member shooter (he was quite a bit older) said when he first started shooting it was with an M1 and surplus ammo. It would shoot groups of 4" to 6" off the bench at 100, but it could have been 200 ... anyway, when he started getting close to that shooting in military positions i.e. off-hand, kneeling and prone ... then he knew it was time to upgrade his equipment.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I had to look around and finally found my monopod, I'd put it in my M11/nine Lage uooer as a forward grip because it would fold up and out of the way ... not sure when I bought a set of bipod legs that attach to picitinny rails on the float tube but the only rails I had were long and didn't match so hopefully I can pouch up a pair the LGS tomorrow ... not sure when I'm going to get to the range again, I got my crankshaft back for the baja engine and wifey wants the guestroom painted before I go back to work on Saturday... but when I do get a chance, I'll be ready!

posted Hide Post
The following video isn't exactly what I'd like to demonstrate, but it does various shooting positions -- and use of a rear bag in the seated/bench sequence. The shooter is Jacob Bynum, owner of Rifles Only training school. One will be hard pressed to find a shooter/instructor with better shooting fundamentals.

shooting positions

At :39 he breaks the shot from prone. Left hand controls the squeeze bag, positioned under the buttstock. It's interesting that Jacob doesn't load his Atlas bipod very much, so it slides a bit to the rear during recoil. Can't argue with his accuracy at 100 yards, however.

At 1:03 he breaks the shot from a bench. Left is visible -- controlling the squeeze bag, positioned under the buttstock. Again, limited loading of the bipod, and it slides a bit to the rear during recoil. And he hits his POA.

At 1:38 he breaks the shot from sitting, but with parallax issues. Left hand controls elevation on the buttstock.

At 1:57 he breaks the shot from sitting, with properly set parallax. Note that he is supporting the rifle with both elbows resting on his knees.

At 2:11 he breaks the shot from kneeling. His left hand is not under the gun here, but placed forward on the cinder blocks. This stabilizes his torso. He is resting his right elbow on his right knee to support the rear end of the rifle.

At no time does he use his left hand to control bipod hop, or to stabilize the front of the gun.

About the only time I put my left hand forward of the magazine well is when shooting from marginally stable barriers. This means that the rifle's weight is fully supported by the barrier, and the rifle is touching the barrier just forward of the magazine well. There is no rear support for the rifle other than my shoulder. In such cases my left hand will often be on the top of the scope, somewhere between the rings. I will use my left hand to stabilize the rifle in some manner -- possibly pressing down slightly on the scope, possibly with my wrist held against a vertical portion of the barrier.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Yay!
I think I found the last 2 in town 1 at Academy and the other at a little gun shop on the other side of town ... who knows when we’ll have another gun show!

Got 1,000 large rifle & large pistol primers too ... $40 each!!! Frown I think the last time they were $30/K and I didn’t think they could get much higher, but it has been a while.

I figured out why these legs aren’t on anything ... they’re wobbly! I think I’ll try them out anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,