SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long term gun storage question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long term gun storage question. Login/Join 
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this question since I'm looking to store both some long guns and handguns. I need to store them, potentially for a fairly long time, in a shipping container. Would like some advice on how to bets protect them from rust and other damage. Some of the rifles and handguns have wood stocks and grips so I need to protect them as well. Is there something I can spray on them that keep them in good shape? The container doesn't leak but will be subject to temperature changes so possible condensation. I have no way to electrify it so a dehumidifier is not an option. Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
At one time I stored several handguns for five years in safe deposit boxes. I sprayed them heavily with LPS3 and then sealed them in plastic bags. I didn’t use any sort of desiccant in the bags, but that would probably be a good idea as well. Long guns were sprayed with the LPS3 inside and out and kept in a commercial storage building that was not climate controlled. I removed the wood grips so they weren’t in contact with the protectant and were in their own plastic bags. When I recovered the guns none had developed rust or other problems.

There are rust-inhibiting materials that could probably be added inside the bags (assuming no incompatibility issues), but I wouldn’t rely on them exclusively.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I would remove wood and coat them in some type of protective grease, and store them in VCI bags with moisture absorbers. Wood in VCI bags with moisture absorbers as well. Uninsulated shipping containers will condensate enough to “rain” inside. I would cover anything you care about with vinyl sheeting.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Remove the stocks/grips, put grease on all the metal (including the bore), and store them in VCI bags.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try RIG Grease.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. This makes me feel better about storing these guns.

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Check with polygunbag.com
I have done business with them and their vci bags are great. Different sizes for hand guns, rifles and even magazines. Good enough to bury your firearms.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK here goes in at least a partial answer with a caveat. First the caveat, I have no idea how to deal with wood. But I do know how to deal with metal and polymer in things like an AR. Coat everything with your favorite preservative. And then the gun is sealed in VCI bags with an extra VCI emitter. I add an extra bag around that as prevention of penetration, but its strictly not necessary.
This will last at least 5 years including completely underground which will be worse than your situation. The choice of coating preservative is open to discussion with suggestions by others but I can say that CLP collector will do for making it to the 5yr mark with the above VCI storage.
Lots of testing on this so if the above is unclear let me know.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I once stored my guns in a storage locker for a year while I was at sea. I took the rifles and shotguns out of the wood/stocks. Used a can of spray grease and filled the bore completely, then I hosed the outside and trigger with the same spray grease. Then they got put into a giant trash bag and taped up in case the roof leaked. I put the stocks into another big bag and just propped them in the corner.

Did the same with two pistols. I took them apart and greased everything. And wrapped them in a rag and put the pieces into a gallon ziplock.

I managed to get home once and they only stayed for about eight months in that condition. I shipped them to my parents house and got to them a few months later to find my dad had cleaned them all and reassembled them for me.

No issues at all.

In the service placing weapons into long term storage , it’s called “lay-up” and coating everything in grease and wrapping it to prevent the grease from drying out is the preferred way.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have some guns NIB, never fired, then some I bought used 20 years ago, haven’t shot.

I’m a fan of that RIG grease.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
but I can say that CLP collector will do for making it to the 5yr mark with the above VCI storage

Good to know. I wasn't sure how long Breakfree Collector would last overall. I use that on my collectible milsurps, but wipe them down every year.

Sounds like even though it likely won't last decades like grease could, it's still good enough for many years at a time.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Boeshield T-9 is a great preservative, and use with the mentioned vci bags.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bags mentioned above, that prevent moisture, would work well with something I use - paste floor wax. There are several brands, Johnson’s, Butcher, etc. I use it on all my weapons that have wood and blued metal. Typically I will strip the weapon, clean it and then wax it. All metal and wood gets waxed, all surfaces excepting the bore. Bores get some kind of heavy oil. Then I reassemble, leaving excess wax (not a lot, I use a rag to apply it) on all the mating parts. Outside parts can be mildly buffed or not. The wax, especially in storage, lasts a long time. It also prevents oils from the hands from causing later rusting. A basic solvent can remove it from the metal parts as needed. I have never worried about removing it from the wood parts, but a solvent would probably take that off wood too. Alcohol would be pretty mild. Even when doing some shooting in the rain, the water just wipes off. Spray on oils, in my experience, tend to eventually run off. This wax does not.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boeshield T-9 is a great preservative

I love t-9 and use cases of it on my farm. But for stored firearms (at least semiauto ones) it is beyond annoying to remove.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above ... maybe buy bulk silica gel beads. The beads come in package size to large buckets. The beads can then be used inside what the firearm is stored and/or a bucket placed inside the storage container.

Just another option.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
In addition to the above ... maybe buy bulk silica gel beads. The beads come in package size to large buckets. The beads can then be used inside what the firearm is stored and/or a bucket placed inside the storage container.

Just another option.

Just make sure that the silica gel beads have some standoff from the firearm. For example, you wouldn't want to shove a gun into a bucket full of silica gel beads, or stick a firearm into a bag and then fill it the rest of the way up with silica gel beads.

Moisture adheres to silica gel beads, and if they're in direct contact with metal, will trap moisture against the metal, promoting corrosion.

posted Hide Post
From my testing it makes no difference if you add a desiccant to a VCI bag with a vci emitter in it. Now maybe it matters if you decide to pack all this up in a rain storm. and as RogueJSK says you want it independent of the gun.
And it certainly won't hurt.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
When putting guns away for long term storage I always start with rubber gloves then a new pair of brown jersey cotton gloves over the rubber.

I spray the cotton gloves with whatever rust inhibitor or protectant I am using to stop any sweat, salt or acids from my skin.

I also use Stor-Bore socks inside padded gun cases inside my climate controlled gun safe with golden rods.

For your needs I would also put those VCI bags mentioned over the stor-bore sock inside the padded cases.

Everything is protected from the environment and from beating and banging.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post