SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 716i on the way, need advise...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 716i on the way, need advise... Login/Join 
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted
I have recently, won a Sig 716i
as this will be my first AR10 style weapon, not sure what kind of optics to install
.308 with 16" barrel

probable uses, hunting, range, SHTF, possible some longer shooting at friends farm

what would you do ???

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I like a 1-6x scope like a Vortex PST for SHTF, close in hunting etc.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the LPVO scopes for an AR.
I use Primary Arms one mine.
A 1x6 ACSS scope on my AR15 and a 1x8 on my SR762.

For what I do this works out well for me.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budget is always the first criteria.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:

probable uses, hunting, range, SHTF, possible some longer shooting at friends farm

You have Too many uses for it, pick 1 or 2 max.

SHTF - definitely a LPVO
All others - 3-15x or higher

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:

You have Too many uses for it, pick 1 or 2 max.

SHTF - definitely a LPVO
All others - 3-15x or higher

thanks for the input everyone, seems i have a lot to think about

CandyMan, its looking like i will just have to get another one, (my wife does not thank you, by the way... Big Grin)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly wouldn't agree with CandyMan.45. You can certainly make a gun that does all the things on your list. It might not be the best possible answer compared to specializing in one specific area, but its certainly going to be usable. It helps in discussing this to both have a budget (as I asked above) and a set of priorities. I normally use a SCAR17 and with a NF 1-8 its pretty all around especially if longer range is not super long. If you would rather have more longer range as more important the NF 4-16 is also pretty versatile (I used it before the 1-8 came out), gives up a little in the closest ranges but adds on the other end. All depends on your priorities. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I put the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR 3.5-21X50 scope on my SIG 716. The lower end works for SHTF and the higher range for everything else.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I certainly wouldn't agree with CandyMan.45. You can certainly make a gun that does all the things on your list. It might not be the best possible answer compared to specializing in one specific area, but its certainly going to be usable. It helps in discussing this to both have a budget (as I asked above) and a set of priorities. I normally use a SCAR17 and with a NF 1-8 its pretty all around especially if longer range is not super long. If you would rather have more longer range as more important the NF 4-16 is also pretty versatile (I used it before the 1-8 came out), gives up a little in the closest ranges but adds on the other end. All depends on your priorities. FWIW>

i would like to stay under $1,000.00
and thank you for your input

― Charles M. Schulz

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
What do you consider longer shooting? 300-500 yards, or closer to 1000?

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
What do you consider longer shooting? 300-500 yards, or closer to 1000?

up to 500 yards is longer for me, but probably 400 and under

― Charles M. Schulz

Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8 on mine, and am very happy with it

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I have the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8 on mine, and am very happy with it

I have been looking at something similar, but the 1 X 6 (Vortex) or even the 1 X 5 (Leopold), I was worried about the 1X being clear on the 1X8

what do you think the outer range limit is on the 1X8 ?

thanks

― Charles M. Schulz