SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up another antique rifle.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up another antique rifle. Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
A companion for my 1890 Danzig GEW 88 waiting on a new barrel. This was on GB with no bidders, got it for the opening bid of $395. 1891 Loewe GEW 88 with the 1905 update. A mixmaster with a Turked bolt. Shoots just fine with PPU 8mm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That looks like fun; shoot it offhand and slung?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
That looks like fun; shoot it offhand and slung?

Bench rest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just bought two older rifles, an 1888 Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70. The other is a Swedish Mauser in 6.5, from the mid 19-teens or so.

Both are in good shape.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your ‘88 Commission rifle has gone through a factory rework. This is a good thing. Shoots standard 8mm. It also has the blocks for a stripper clip, a receiver notch for the spire point bullets and a thumb notch for stripper clips. The filler plate on the bottom is dated 1914. Best guess? That was added too at the time of overhaul.
I am not sure what the Turkish bolt is about. Mine is the same. The story might go something like this - German arms manufacturers were making rifles for a number of countries before the Great War. They built to order. (IE - research Argentine Mausers). It is possible that Loewe was doing exactly that when a big push came for rifles NOW. Parts were on the shelf (some for Turkey). The logic went: If it fits and shoots? Assemble it and ship it.
They do shoot well. Aim low. Standard V sight is zeroed for 400 meters. Military theory at the time was that 400 meters was reasonable (assumption on my part). The reality of the trenches of WW1 was that a number of the guys faced the enemy at 50 yards (A Rifleman Goes to War, H.W. McBride).

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post