SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR upper replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR upper replacement Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
I have an AR with a generic lower and a Stag left handed upper, which I had no problem with until I had some issues with my left eye. Now I would like to replace the upper with a right handed option of at least the same quality as the Stag. I could reuse the barrel, gas block, gas tube and a handful of the small parts, but the upper receiver and bolt carrier assembly would have to be replaced at a minimum. If I replaced the entire upper, I would like to go with a 16" or 18" barrel and adjustable gas block.

Suggestions?

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you go with a Stag (and gas block to suit) then your existing parts would work fine as spares. FWIW, sales for various uppers are starting to pop up. I like Armalite, but Wyndham may be your friend in this instance.

If you go ahead and choose between a 16" barrel and an 18" barrel, that should narrow down your choices.

FWIW, I do like the Brownell's BR-180 uppers (they're fully compatible with standard AR lowers) but they are kinda pricey and they do get hot quick. If you look around, you might find a deal on one of Wolf's T15 uppers if that appeals to you.
quote:
bolt carrier assembly

Just the bolt itself, no?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have said it in a few threads. LaRue is not appreciably more expensive. Quality wise it is top notch. That is how I would go if it were me.
You could also go with Palmetto State Armory and get a good unit for a steal, money wise.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
The world is your oyster. There are so many options it's hard to even begin except to name my own favorites. But if my taste in brands isn't the same as yours my recommendations won't really matter.

Some potential questions to narrow down the choices;

1. Do you plan to add a suppressor? I'm assuming so, and that's what the adjustable gas block is for.

2. Have you worked on upper receivers/barrels before? If you have the tools and ability I'd always recommend parts over paying for someone else's labor, but if not I'd stick with a complete assembly.

3. What kind of shooting is this for? Plinking/short range vs. defense vs. competition/long range

4. What ammo will you (mainly) be using? Tuned loads vs. bulk economy vs. 5.56 ball/match

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
bolt carrier assembly

Just the bolt itself, no?

A left hand carrier has the ejection port cover scallop, firing pin retaining pin bore, and gas vents on the opposite side, and the cam track is in the opposite direction.

The gas key and screws, cam pin, gas rings, extractor subassembly, firing pin and retaining pin, and ejector/spring/pin are the shared parts from the BCG. Bolt and carrier are mirrored parts.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
1) Absolutely plan to suppress it, the 16” barrel is stupidly loud, an 18” may be quieter, but really not quiet enough. Right now it functions well with or without the suppressor, but changing as many variables as I am, the adjustable gas block just seems prudent.

2) I have not worked on uppers before, just lowers, but I am a retired gear head, so it is a matter of scale and specialized tools. Having said that, I’d prefer to have a complete assembly.

3) Home defense & general purpose.

4) Defense rounds & decent quality bulk.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 16" barrel will be fine. 18" won't make any difference in noise levels to the human ear. I've shot more than 15k rounds through ARs of various lengths with fixed gas blocks, without issues. I've seen reliability issues with adjustable gas blocks in competition. I use H2 and H3 buffers.

Buying a complete upper works. Palmetto is one option, but there are countless other options. Start with a budget. For your purpose and ammo requirements, you don't need to spend a boat load of money.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post