Main Page
The Mason-Howe Rifle Room
Yes, another Tikka: The T3x Compact Tactical Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, a review.Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Freethinker |
As I’ve often posted, I am a firm fan of Tikka rifles. What I prefer, though, are the models that use the staggered-column 10 round metal magazines rather than the more common polymer mags, and that includes the Compact Tactical Rifle (CTR) models. I have CTR models in 223 Remington and 308 Winchester, and when I ran across a listing for a CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor on the EuroOptic site, how could I resist? The one I purchased has a 24 inch barrel, and in retrospect I wondered if the 20" would have been handier to use, but then “handier” for what purpose? If this 80-YO bod ever has to hump a rifle up the pass to repel the hordes from Denver, it won’t be this one. I would have also chosen a black stock and stainless barrel if they had been options, but the gun is distinctive in its supplied dress. (In fact, if you’re having trouble seeing it in the photo, it is there. The scope is a Nightforce ATACR 7-35×56mm in a Spuhr mount. The scope was a spare I had on hand, and at some point I may change it for something more in the line of 5-25, 3.6-18, etc., with more generous eyebox. But maybe not. The modifications: I removed the black forend cover as unnecessary and attached a Salmon River Solutions rail that can be used with Picatinny or Arca-Swiss attachments. I will probably never need the former, but I already had the rail and the Pic section is no drawback. I also switched the grip from the original black to a sort-of green one that was on the otherwise all-black stock of the 308 CTR. A Warne adapter at the rear allows mounting a BT Industries folding grip when shooting from a bench. The Thunder Beast suppressor is attached to their CB muzzle brake via a direct thread. I was able to get to the range today and it took four shots to get on paper because the scope had previously been mounted on a Winchester 52E, and significant adjustments were necessary. I then fired this group using a Ckye-Pod bipod and rear bag on a sturdy bench at 100 yards. Ammunition was Hornady 147 grain ELD Match, a load that’s generally very precise in my other 6.5 rifles. The average velocity of 23 shots was 2653 fps with a standard deviation of 21.5 fps; that’s not fantastic for long range shooting, but no biggie at 100 yards. The four shots touching measured 0.251 inch (yes 1/4"!) center to center, but of course I couldn’t hold all five perfectly the same. The shot to the left opened the group to 0.560" CTC, and I can honestly claim that I knew it was going there when the shot broke. In any event the Tikka guarantee is 1 MOA or less with five shots from the tactical models, and this group obviously met that standard.* The session included a set of 1.5" dots using a tripod for support while standing, and there were no failures to feed (what the magazine does), chamber, extract, or eject. As always the bolt cycled Tikka-smoothly. I’m not sure what actual purpose this rifle serves, but I’m happy once again, and I don’t believe that the Commirado Gestapo will be kicking my door in to seize this one. Not this week, anyway. * As always, a single small-sample size group does not prove anything, but I posted it to show how the first session went. Added: The trigger pull weight was 2 pounds, 12 ounces. I have been drifting to preferring lighter pulls in precision rifles, but although it is easy to adjust the pull in Tikka T3x rifles, I will leave it as is for the time being.This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund, “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato | ||
|
| Knowing a thing or two about a thing or two ![]() |
Looks good sigfreund. P226 NSWG P220 W. German P239 SAS gen2 P6 1980 W. German P228 Nickel P365XL M400 SRP | |||
|
| Member |
I was doing great resisting the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon but I finally succumbed a year ago. I have old and then a modern CZ in 6.5 Swede, thought that was good enough. I bought the 16.5” Howa lightweight rifle, now the main host of my suppressor. I got the shorter barrel with the suppressor in mind, keeping length reasonable. | |||
|
| Freethinker |
Yeah, with this setup if I can’t shoot holes in the target, I’ll just tape a pencil to the can like a bayonet and poke the holes there. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato | |||
|
Member![]() |
I had the best luck with 147s in my factory Tikka 6.5 barrel. 2670fps was an accuracy node with anywhere from 0.010 to 0.030 off the lands. | |||
|
Member![]() |
My favorite local dealer showed me a Tikka rifle some years ago, going on and on about how smoothly the bolt moved and what a great rifle it was. I ended up buying something else he had, but often wanted to go back for that Tikka. I regret not making the opportunity to do that before he closed the shop. I still want a Tikka, simply because of his enthusiasm for the brand. Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around. — — — — — — — — — — — — God bless America. | |||
|
| Member |
Very nice. I absolutely bonded with my T3X CTR 6.5 20” great shooter. I ended up also getting the T1X as well. VERY happy with both of them. | |||
|
| Freethinker |
I shoot my T1x so much that the rest look at me with sad eyes and ask, “What’s wrong with me?” “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato | |||
|
| Member |
NICE! Tikka’s are SWEET! Off the top of my head I can’t remember the vendors name but there’s a sub $10 Spring for Tikka’s that will lower your pull by a safe, smooth pound or two. Or if you have a Mic and a Brownells spring stock kit you can cut your own. Makes a worthy improvement. If you reload I would suggest you try Superformance powder and 130gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets. I’ve had VERY good ballistic results with this combo in multiple 6.5 Creeds. The Hogden annual manuals have safe, pressure tested Data to work with. My Sako and Tikka 6.5 Creedmoors have had extra long throats so you might experiment with your seating depths for superb accuracy. Nice rifle and great shooting 80% of the time! LOL I’m notorious for getting excited and pulling the last shot. Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun................... | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|
Main Page
The Mason-Howe Rifle Room
Yes, another Tikka: The T3x Compact Tactical Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, a review.
