SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who performs PS90 SBR conversions these days?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who performs PS90 SBR conversions these days? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Now that I've got most of my other SBR projects out of the way, I want to move on to my PS90 for shits and giggles.

I intend to use a CMMG 10.3" barrel and their 1/2x28 muzzle adaptor so I can eventually add one of my suppressors.

I've watched a video on how to change the barrel and it seems outside my level of competence and it's not a job I want to toss to a local with no experience on the platform.

So who to send it to?

I think TROS is still in the game, but many posts I've seen about them indicates bad service, no communication, playing games with lead times, etc., nor do I want my current barrel cut and threaded.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Dude....it takes 10 minutes to swap the CMMG barrel in. All you need is a wood or plastic rod to keep the springs aligned as you swap barrels. It couldn't be simpler to do.

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if your not trying to save the original barrel PGT is mostly right. If you want to save it, its way more than 10 minutes.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I intend to use a CMMG 10.3" barrel and their 1/2x28 muzzle adaptor so I can eventually add one of my suppressors.

That's great, but they haven't made them in years, and won't answer emails about it. I looked into this pretty carefully two years ago when I bought mine. Basically, until someone starts making 10.3's again, your only option is to cut the factory barrel, which isn't the ideal option since it's sleeved. If you know you want to own it for life, then have at, but if you want to get rid of it at some point and change it back to the 16" barrel and take it off the registry, I don't know how easy it is to get ahold of a factory barrel. You might be stuck trying to sell it as an SBR, and those are waters I haven't charted.

Of course, if you're saying you have the CMMG barrel, then that doesn't apply to you and I applaud you for your foresight. Basically, you're going to have to sacrifice a Chinesium wrench to make it a crow's foot that'll fit. I forget the specifics, but it seemed relatively straightforward at the time.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hey, Oat! Grab one while you can!

https://fnspecialties.com/cmmg-10-4-barrel-for-ps90/

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

This here is what makes this place so awesome and keeps me coming back. We takes care of our own.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

These guys USE to offer the SBR service. worth a call or email to see if they still do. as a vendor, they are great. never had any issues.

the conversion itself isn't that hard with the cmmg barrel and adapter. drilling/grinding the pin weld is pretty easy.

cutting/threading the existing barrel would be serious work.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Also in stock at Brownell’s!!

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...rrel-prod130178.aspx

Yeah, I kept it brief last night, but the barrel swap seems relatively straightforward. Here’s a video on how to do it. Just that, and take a Harbor Freight 15mm wrench to a grinder or belt sander to get the end thin enough to get around the flats of the barrel.

https://youtu.be/-SC9PNP3UP8

Oat doesn’t seem to have an email address in his profile. This would be one of those times it would benefit a member. I’ve been trying to get my hands on one of these barrels for about five years now. As I said before, the accepted knowledge was that CMMG wasn’t making them anymore. They don’t answer emails and they haven’t been in stock anywhere any time I’ve looked in six years. Apparently Brownell’s got a handful of them this time last year and they sold out very quickly. They had some in stock about a month ago, and those also sold out very quickly. I have no idea how many FN Specialties has in stock, or how long they’ll last, but between Brownell’s last month, in stock again now, and in stock at FNS, my guess is either one of two things: that CMMG produces small, limited runs of these barrels once a year around late summer/early fall, or that they’ve decided there’s sufficient demand to start producing them in good quantities again. Importation of PS90’s has ebbed and flowed over the years, and at times, people in the fan community would say that it was unofficially discontinued because you just couldn’t find one. The last year or two, they’ve been so easy to find, and at a good price, that I couldn’t sell mine this last spring, and I tried for months. So, my guess is there’s been many, many new owners in the last two years or so, and CMMG has gotten enough emails that they decided to get off their asses and make some barrels.

I went ahead and grabbed a barrel. After nearly five years of owning mine, I’ll finally get to paper it.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up!

Snagged one from Brownells. Don't really have the money for it at the moment, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do when the opportunity pops up that might not for quite a while.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Glad you got one! I… really didn’t have the money to spend on it right now, either. But yeah, gotta grab what you can, when you can.

They are now out of stock again.

posted Hide Post
Follow on question: do you still need the CMMG muzzle thread adapter?

I see just now that Brownells actually has them in stock. And I didn't think to look for it when I ordered the barrel. Roll Eyes Is there some other source for a M12x1LH to 1/2x28 adapters out there, in case the CMMG goes out of stock again?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s a good question. I think the adapter is just if you want to use an AR muzzle device. CMMG’s reproduction of the original style muzzle device is here, and $120, of course.

I’ve seen that adapter elsewhere, namely the other site I linked. It doesn’t seem to go out of stock as quickly as the barrel does. A quick search shows both available at a number of places, including Midway and Midwest Gun Works. A little cheaper also. Basically, I’m not worried about grabbing a muzzle device or adapter just this second. They’re pretty much always in stock somewhere.

posted Hide Post
For those people that have not seen it yet, my favorite demonstration of the Earth weapon P90 by Colonel Jack O'Neill aka MacGyver and his SG1 team. Enjoy and God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the barrel today.

Damn, that thing is tiny. Never really seen the PS90 barrel outside of the absurd barrel shroud, so had no idea of what its dimensions really are. Damn, that 10.3" barrel is like a pencil!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
When I got the big 'ol box they shipped it in, it was so light I thought it was empty and my first thought was "it got backordered, so they sent me a catalog and some stickers." I pulled all the packing paper out and nothing was in the box. Then I noticed the little plastic tube in the packing paper with what looks for all the world like a barrel for a pellet rifle.

Yeah, it's tiny.

posted Hide Post
I'm going to disagree a bit on the issue of getting a muzzle device when you can find them. I've had PS90's literally since the first ones and I've lived through easy to find parts times and there are no parts of any kind times. several cycles.
That new barrel is worthless without a P90 muzzle device on it. So I'd recommend you have one 'on hand'. Yes they don't seem as hard to find but again without one no point in having the barrel.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Man I need to find an early one with a Ringsight.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm going to disagree a bit on the issue of getting a muzzle device when you can find them.

Point taken, I'll order one. I'd feel really silly waiting six years to get a barrel only to have to wait a year or two more to get to use it because of that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Man I need to find an early one with a Ringsight.

Mine originally came with the ring sight. Honestly, it’s pretty bad. It was the original white ringsight, and the later black “USSS” ringsight was only slightly better. I ditched both and replaced them with a rail and an Holosun mini dot/ring.

I get the appeal of the OG look, but it’s not a good optic.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Link for PS90 mods like QD sling attachment and enlarged charging handle.
https://promotedpawn.com/ps90/

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post