SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Holosun Red dot for HD shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holosun Red dot for HD shotgun Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I had a EOTech on it for years but twice the AA batteries have leaked and this time they may have killed it. Looking at the 123 EOtech but would rather save the $250 that the Holosun doesn’t cost. Anyone have experience with the 510?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have a 510 on my 300bo house gun, and I love it. I would absolutely buy another one, no hesitation. I have also been checking out the 512!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Were you running alkaline AA’s? Always try and run lithiums if you can in any critical stuff.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Haha that’s a lesson I learned

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go ahead with the eotech that you want. I just bought a holosun 509 to try out because I want the circle dot reticle and thought the eotech may be too big. The one I received, the grid lines on the circle are not level in the optic. They are slightly turned to the left just enough to be annoying. I’m going to go ahead and try it as I’m curious to see if it will survive being mounted on a shotgun.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Eotech. They're better, and they're American.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dislike chicom stuff too but Holosun makes good stuff. I think the big boys have been sitting on their laurels too long. The stuff Holosun is putting out is top shelf quality and it is innovative. Trijicon could learn from this. Buy the Holosun and buy something else American to even it out.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we're comparing the Eotech to the Holosun 510, as the OP suggests, we're talking about all the differences between a red dot and a holographic, combined with the huge disadvantage of an open emitter. It seems to me, if you boil it down, the biggest perks of a red-dot, over an Eotech, are size and battery life. The other differences are all pretty negligible, aside from, maybe, the minimal POI shift experienced when shooting a holographic with the reticle at the extreme edge of the window. Comparing an open emitter to a closed one is another matter entirely, and you're arguably getting that $250-worth, just in reliability of the closed system.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree that closed emitters have some advantages, they aren't going to kill the open emitter market. Especially since this is a home defense shotgun. I can't remember the last time it rained in my living room or that belly button lint got into my concealed carry shotgun. lol

The Eotech doesn't have any real advantage here. Size and battery life on the other hand are actual advantages here instead of the boogeyman of blocking the emitter. On a gun that for centuries has used a brass bead welded to the front of the barrel for aiming.

Save the money, the Holosun is a great optic.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with your assessment. My hate for Holosun is admittedly irrational. For the OP's needs, the 510 will work, and be easier on his wallet. I enjoy thoroughly exploring different aspects of the options. Another thing I consider nowadays, is the money I spent on optics in the past, that I "upgraded" away from later. Something like an Eotech, Trijicon, or Aimpoint will likely stick around longer; if not on the original host, it'll end up on something else. I have offloaded "high-end" optics too, but they sometimes get missed later. The Vortex Strikefire I sold off years ago doesn't.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Holosun AEMS is also an option. I've got a green version on my home defense AR and never had any issues with it. The window size it about the same as an EoTech, the battery life is measured in years, and is about 7-8oz instead of 12oz.

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/202.html

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input I appreciate the information.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
I agree that the 510 and AEMS are potentially good picks. Depending on the shotgun, the 403/503/515/530 might be more desirable as they have a lower mount option.

If I can help with your Holosun needs, please shoot me an email.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I agree that the 510 and AEMS are potentially good picks. Depending on the shotgun, the 403/503/515/530 might be more desirable as they have a lower mount option.

If I can help with your Holosun needs, please shoot me an email.

It’s going on a FN SLP co witnessed with a front sight

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
I hear you. I prefer Trijicon and Aimpoint. That being said, Holosun is hitting it out of the park right now. Their stuff is solid and it’s innovative. Trijicon is solid. Not innovative. It’s starting to show. It is similar in my mind to how Surefire used to be the obvious and only real choice. Now though, they are a good choice but expensive and underperform in many ways. (I still love them just put a new Scout on my HD AR)

posted Hide Post
I have run very nice RDS ie. RMR, SRO's and I have Run Holosun on many guns and have been very impressed. The Sig Romeo has been great too.

PB

Posts: 65 | Registered: November 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Have a holosun 503 on my SuperNova. No issues at all it sits up so I can co witness my iron sights.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a primary arms on a Remington 870 with a vang Comp Mount. No issues so far after about 300 rounds of slug and buck

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Have a holosun 503 on my SuperNova. No issues at all it sits up so I can co witness my iron sights.

Is your iron sights the Ghost Ring style?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gjgalligan,

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post