SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any guitar players? - Will a guitar stand hold up a full length rifle upright?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any guitar players? - Will a guitar stand hold up a full length rifle upright? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
Does anyone have one of these type of guitar stands? Will something like this hold up a large (PTR-91 sized) rifle without falling over?

I'm looking for something like this to hold a rifle up next to my table without having to prop it up against the table/wall, or laying it on the floor.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not even close.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found quite a few for multiple guns on the Intergoogle, but none for a single rifle. It may be possible to modify one of the rifle vehicle mounts that are used to secure the gun in a Jeep or truck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The weight of the rifle absolutely wouldn’t be an issue for a stand like that.

However, most guitar stands rest the bottom of the guitar on two arms that are 8-10” apart, and the stability of the stand is dependent on the weight of the guitar resting on the stand.

The arms are generally too far apart to rest the butt of a rifle on, and if you put the butt on the floor, there won’t be any weight on the stand to stabilize it so it will tip over very easily (depending on the specific stand, it might not even stand up at all).

The stand in your picture doesn’t have the arms at the bottom, it holds the guitar by the neck (the headstock, the part with the tuners, is too wide to fit through the holder). There isn’t generally anything on a rifle that the holder could grip. You might be able to make it work on an AR with a narrow handguard and a hand stop.

Long story short, the weight isn’t a problem but the geometry almost certainly is.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I tried. The front of an AR won’t fit the yoke. Only the buffer tube would.

Posts: 17891 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Would something like this vehicle-mount unit work?

PROS:

These are built to order for your firearm.

It's lockable.

CONS:

You would need to mount it somehow (wall or attached to some kind of floor-base).

The price (ouch).

Pro-gard

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16361 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

CONS:

And not particularly secure, probably not an issue here, just talking in general.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, more secure than a guitar stand.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16361 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm getting one for free from work, I just need to take it out of the (no longer a police) car. Going to mount it in my Jeep to hold a snow shovel in winter. Smile

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post