SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1907 Service Rifle Sling help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1907 Service Rifle Sling help Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
Hi all,

One aspect of rifle shooting that I know nothing about is using a 2 piece leather military type sling. Specifically the type that you can set up using a loop tightened against your off side bicep.

I'd be using this just as a casual shooter, on my Rem 700's and probably a Rem 781 .22 just to learn the technique.

I see many youtube vids of all different slings and would appreciate some guidance.

Leather or canvas material.

Who to buy from- Turner, Servicerifleslings, Creedmore, ???

Some folks say to soak the leather in neetsfoot oil to make it pliable.

What particular sling swivels work best for this type sling?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have leather slings on the M-1 and web on the 03.
I shoot lefthanded and use what is refereed to hasty sling.
That oil will soften the leather up.
Don't have an answer on web,I can tell you washing in the washing machine did not help.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
All my experience is with shooting Service Rifles in High Power Rifle matches. If used correctly the sling will really lock the rifle in place.

I used Turner's AWS once I got it on my arm it wasn't moving.

I've also seen guys that use slings made by Les Tam Service Rifle Slings REALLY nice sling but the wait IIRC is about 18 months.

AS far as swivels I've only used the M1907 on the non-rotating kind. For the rifles I have that have swivels that do rotate I like Andys Leather Rhodesian Sling.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I'm on Ron Brown's ServiceRifleSlings site now.
How do I know what length I need?

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Well, I called Ron Brown and spoke with his wife, what a lovely lady.
Very helpful flks.

I went with the 52" based on Ron's recommendation for the way my rifle is set up.

Thanks for the help guys!

No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
That's the whole reason I went with a 2 point sling instead of a 1 point. I've only ever used slings to carry hunting rifles, but now I want to learn how to use one correctly as far as accuracy shooting goes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
get Jim Owens book:
"Leather Sling and Shooting Positions"

fantastic book on how to properly use the sling,

http://jarheadtop.com/jim_owens_books.html

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in learning to use a sling for more accurate shooting should shoot an Appleseed event. They recommend a web sling for ease of, but I used a leather military sling. Its definitely worth doing!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
get Jim Owens book:

Done, thank you sir.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
get Jim Owens book:

Done, thank you sir.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

This says all you need to know. Get this book.......and practice. Yes, I've used the hasty sling, but for real competition you need to learn how to lock that thing on your arm. Either Tam or Turner will work well.

I can't see any real "practical" use for the method except formal competition. It takes for ever to get locked into place...but it works. Besides, I think the 1907 sling looks cool and you will especially enjoy how to assemble it and put it on the rifle! :-)

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
@ Gpc, yeah it looks like a damn Chinese puzzle, should be fun

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Web Sling on CMP Garand:

Leather Sling on 1943 CMP Garand

Web Sling on M1A Supermatch

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent video on the use & setup of the M1907. Ken starts talking about configuring the sling at about the 4 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80JyfZ4gBQ

More about Highpower with the M16 but still applies to use on the M1 or other rifles.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post