SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    HK SP5 stock for SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK SP5 stock for SBR Login/Join 
posted
All,
I have an SP5 pistol (with the 7.9” barrel), about 17.8” long.
I want to SBR it. In Maryland, where I live, SBR’s must be at least 29.0” in OAL.
Can anyone suggest a stock for the SP5 that would give an OAL of 29”? Ideally, I would like a stock that both folded and telescoped, but possibly just telescoped.
A few years ago I SBR’d an MPX that way - a folding stock that when fully extended gives an overall length over 29”.
Any recommendations appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I don't see an AR Buffer tube adapter allowing a folding mechanism due to the shape of the receiver. seen here . You can use the MI picatinny to buffer tube adapter here . Here is the one with the hinge , but as I mentioned, I don't think the hinge is far enough to clear the receiver.

If you want it to fold, I think you will need a dedicated hinge style adapter plate that puts the folding hinge closer to the edge of the receiver. I am going to try the B&T triangle folding stock I ordered for my APC9 and see if it fits on my SB Tactical Brace adapter. However, I don't think that'll give you the length you need.

You might look into the ACR stock adapter/kit for the SP5/MP5, but I don't know how much length that will get you.
https://revrl.com/wp-content/u.../DSC08369-scaled.jpg

I think a picatinny adapter and buffer tube is the most likely way you will get the length you need.
Plus if the standard buffer tube ends up being slightly too short, you can swap it for an A5 length tube for another inch.

Good luck.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
What does Maryland think about folding stocks? When I did my Mk18 clone, the ATF wanted the stock collapsed length for the OAL. So if MD is the same way, a folding stock might not work if it doesn't get the OAL to where they want. An MP5 style fixed stock might be the best option (assuming it is the right length) to satisfy the MD laws.

Bad news is you lose some cool guy points with a fixed stock.
Good news is the stock will be more comfortable to shoot. I have an HK style collapsing stock on my GSG-5 .22, and the metal arm for the stock is not ideal to shoot. If I was to buy again, I would be looking at UMP style folders.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confused on the above post. The ATR SBR length is with the stock EXTENDED.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Measured mine and from end of barrel to end of stock its 27.5" with the BT stock.

The Choate mp5 stock is a folder and can be set up with spacers to increase length of pull. It can be adjusted from 10-12" that should be pretty close to what you need I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Confused on the above post. The ATR SBR length is with the stock EXTENDED.

My mistake. It is stock extended.

GQ, nice SP5.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to each of you for your advice and leads. I have looked some over the weekend, and am going to try to follow up more this week with phone calls.

VGex -
Thank you for those very helpful links.
That ACR stock adapter looks great, but I am not sure if it long enough.
Maybe a buffer tube with a collapsing stock would be the most likely solution. But it just would look so wrong on that work of art …. Frown

Irish Wind -
Thank heaven the OAL is with stock extended. But I am having a hard time finding options even extended.
You may be right that a fixed stock would be a way to go. But does anyone know — Would that still get me to 29”? I am looking around more this week, but I don’t think so. Do you have any suggestions re UMP style folders that might work?

GW3971 -
What a great set up you have. Wish I were in a free state.
I thought that the Choate folder might be the solution. I am going to try to get more on the dimensions. It may still be about a 1/2” too short with all the spacers, and might also give a longer LOP than I want.

Thank you all. I really appreciate your taking the time, and any other suggestions.

Does anyone out there have a set up that gets to an extended OAL of 29”? There must be some option that then collapses enough to not have an overly long LOP.

Much appreciated.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered adding an ACR stock with adapter? 14” extended and 11” collapsed. Getting harder to find them as they’ve been discontinued.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
Have you considered adding an ACR stock with adapter? 14” extended and 11” collapsed. Getting harder to find them as they’ve been discontinued.

Kilyung,
Thank you for this.
Is the stock itself 14” extended, 13” collapsed, or is that the LOP? If it is LOP, I don’t think it will be long enough.

posted Hide Post
Doh. Just realized that was LOP and doesn’t help you with OAL as the stock just adds 10.25” to the length.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kilyung,
Thanks anyway.

Are there any SP5 owners in MD who have SBR’d?

Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
This one might work, with a listed LOP of 18"
https://www.robertrtg.com/stor...P5-HK94-134p6789.htm

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm very pleased with my HK MP5 clone (SBR'd PTR) set up using an ACR folding stock. Perfect length of pull and comb height for use with my Trijicon MRO (Green).

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure while that is a nice setup I doesn't get the job done for 29".

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post