SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How much to cut a barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much to cut a barrel? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
I have a takedown rifle chambered in 9mm w/ a 16.5" barrel. I was thinking about shortening the barrel to 12.5" to covert it into a SBR or pistol.

About how much should I expect to pay to have it cut & crowned? How about to have it threaded? Would I take it to a gunsmith or machine shop?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with them, but Silencer Central offers a threading service for what seems like a good price plus convenient service.

https://www.silencercentral.co...es/barrel-threading/

The site doesn’t say anything about cutting barrels, but it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Thunder Beast also offers the threading service, but at a somewhat greater price and perhaps less convenient service. After I had a Thompson/Center Contender barrel threaded by another company and the results weren’t concentric to the bore, I had TBAC redo the job and it was done right. After that experience, I would never have anyone besides a suppressor manufacturer that has extensive experience with threading do the job.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/services

Added: TBAC had to remove the improperly threaded portion of the barrel, so, not surprisingly, they obviously had the capability of shortening and recrowning the barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Shorten and thread 16" to 12" should be in the neigherborhood of $100.
Tax stamp for SBR is $200
Engrave receiver to comply with SBR is $50

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I emailed the manufacturer for advice, and they said since the rifle was made & sold as a rifle, it is illegal to convert it into a pistol, but I can convert it into an SBR as long as I follow NFA rules & pay tax stamp. Is this accurate?

Converting an AR rifle to a pistol is as easy as swapping complete uppers and a stock for a pistol brace. You can do this in 30 seconds. Hell, you can leave the buffer tube bare if you like.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is correct to advise that a rifle cannot be converted to a pistol.
An SBR is fine.
The other way is fine you can go from a pistol to a rifle and back all you want.
But since the end of pistol braces is literally a few months away you might take that into consideration. I'd just SBR it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Shorten and thread 16" to 12" should be in the neigherborhood of $100.
Tax stamp for SBR is $200
Engrave receiver to comply with SBR is $50

And turning it into a pistol cost as much as $10k and 10 years in federal prison.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I have a takedown rifle chambered in 9mm w/ a 16.5" barrel. I was thinking about shortening the barrel to 12.5" to covert it into a SBR or pistol.

About how much should I expect to pay to have it cut & crowned? How about to have it threaded? Would I take it to a gunsmith or machine shop?

As others have said; rifle cannot be converted to a pistol. SBR it and pay the tax man.

My recommendation would be to reach out to Retro Arms Works. Outstanding company with the fastest turn around times I’ve ever experienced. John’s work is beyond excellent and his prices are perfect.

He’s done a bit of work for me in the past with upper builds and I’ll be sending him more.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Another option for cut/crown/thread is ADCO Firearms (Ohio). Cost is $75 + return shipping. They have done a shit-ton of AR's (I use them too).

ADCO

Posts: 1295 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you are in Texas, but if you’re anywhere near DFW do yourself a favor and drop it off with Class 3 Machining. Morgan does phenomenal work.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much should you expect to pay an experienced gunsmith or machinist for access to his shop, use of his precision lathe, wear and tear on his tooling, set-up time, clean-up time, all for a one time job unlikely to be repeated anytime soon?

Gee, I don't know. Back when I was in business I was paying rent for the shop, utilities (about triple the residential rates for a business), insurance, wages/workers comp/unemployment insurance/social security/medicare, self-employment tax, city & state licensing fees, and a lot of other costs that any one-time customer with a simple little job never thought about.

Write a small businessman a check, he pays a fee to have it processed by his commercial bank. Pay by credit card, he pays a percentage to have the transaction factored into his account.

Maybe he will do your little job while you wait. Maybe you can watch and ask questions while he is doing your little job. Maybe he will put aside the other dozen little jobs that were waiting when you walked in so your little job can be done right away.

Sorry! Sometimes I need to vent a little bit. Just bring it over to the house sometime, I'll put it into the vise, cut it with a hacksaw, re-crown the muzzle with a carbide bit in a hand drill, and turn some threads with an old plumber's kit. Should work pretty well, and we can share a six pack while I have a little fun.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
quote:
And turning it into a pistol cost as much as $10k and 10 years in federal prison.
quote:

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I'd take it to a gunsmith. A gunsmith is a machinist that works on guns. Wink

Said gunsmith would also be able to pin and weld a flash hider onto it to bring it back to 16" barrel length, which is what's required to keep you out of jail without a tax stamp.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post