SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fixed Mag AR15 failure to feed, every round...(also bolt doesn't lock back on last round)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed Mag AR15 failure to feed, every round...(also bolt doesn't lock back on last round) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wolf steel case? Its probably the ammo, they're training rounds for malfunction drills. I've tried to shoot wolf and tulamo steel case in a variety of ARs and it's made them single shot rifles for the most part. At first I thought it was the buffer but different weights didn't help at all. My rifles are kept clean and well lubed, that's not the problem either.
I've never had luck with any kind of steel case .223 or .556. Same with .380 but wolf 9mm has been mostly reliable. Go figure.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My very first AR was like that. Turned out that the bolt was not moving freely in the carrier, as if it was seized up at the gas rings, and yes, it was super dry.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Update: So I managed to get out in the yard at lunch and shoot a few rounds. I took down the rifle, and disassembled the bolt carrier group just to be sure the extractor was aligned properly etc. I had done this before for my own learning and thought perhaps I could have messed up something. But all was as it should be except the lack of lube as you guys mentioned.

First I shot 10 rounds of Sig Elite Performance, brass 5.56 55 grain FMJ. No issues, the bolt locked back on empty also, which makes me happy. Then I tried the Wolf .223 steel case 55 gr. First 5 rounds shot fine but bolt didn't lock. Next I shot 2 rounds and had a short stroke as in my original pic. Then I had a double feed but I'm thinking that was my own fault. In my haste to eject the short stroke round I may have loaded another in the chamber, then repeated in error. I didn't think that I made that mistake but it is entirely possible.

I shot 5 rounds a couple more times. I had one more short stroke, one that went perfectly with the bolt even locking back, and 1 group that the bolt didn't lock but no other malfunctions.

So clearly the issue isn't my rifle but lube seems to be the biggest issue and ammo the next. I'm hoping with more rounds the issues will decrease. I'll use the Wolf when plinking in the yard and the Sig when I go to finally zero it in. I don't have the distance to do any serious shooting on my property (yet).

Someone asked about the fixed mag, it's a P-mag that is pinned in somehow. I can't really see how it's locked in place. Theoretically you would have to take it down to reload, well open it up anyhow. But of course the ingenuity of people has come up with an alternative...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Wolff Ammo is indeed underpowered. The failure to lock back with that ammo, but proper function with the Sig ammo is very telling.

I don't know how much of that Wolff ammo you have...I wouldn't buy any more...but if you have a bunch, it wouldn't surprise me if you start to see better reliability out of it now that the gun is properly lubed and starts to wear in.

That mag loader from Mean Arms is a cool solution to an idiotic human created problem...basically a 90-degree stripper clip. I have some of their 9mm conversion pmags, and they are awesome. I also saw a video a while back about a roller-delayed 9mm AR upper that they are working on. I've been very impressed with them as a company.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I lube my AR like a bike chain: slop it on and let the excess fling off while it runs.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A smooth-running AR is like good sex: Clean or dirty, it's gotta be wet.

Hahaha, made me laugh boss.

First issue I see is lack of lube-you should be able to see the oil...wet not wiped on then off.... oil it up, get a spray can of remlube/hoppes/clp, hose it down, if there is too much on it-it will sling off after the first round.

Second, don’t use steel cased ammo. Ever.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
From that photo you're running a pretty dry AR. You should be able to see visable oil on the gas rings, and on the locking lugs and bolt body. I've seen numerous AR's that wouldn't run on steel cased ammo at all, so I'm not suprised it short stroked with that lack of lube. Also, not all AR's will run on anyone's steel cased ammo, so break that rifle in with brass cased SAAMI spec ammo, then try the steel cased stuff again.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post