SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 carbine experts come on in.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 carbine experts come on in. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Winchester, nice! Congrats, you did well.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have an Inland; can confirm great fun to shoot and to introduce to newbies; but don't expect great accuracy. It seems to deteriorate as the barrel heats up in my limited experience.

Congratulations on the Winchester!!

Another marking to look for is the "cartouche" on the stock.

You may want to buy "War Baby" or one of the other books about the M1 carbine.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I have an Inland; can confirm great fun to shoot and to introduce to newbies; but don't expect great accuracy. It seems to deteriorate as the barrel heats up in my limited experience.

I've been told by someone knowledgeable that a lot of an M1 carbine's accuracy comes from stock fit. A loose, slopped-out stock isn't going to give you great groups. Barrel heating up is another matter, but as fast as I ran rounds through my Inland back when ammo was really cheap and plentiful, I don't recall a lot of stringing. Obviously, mileage varies. I got lucky with the stock fit on mine. It's a high wood that looks to have been babied its whole existence.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Mine was Saginaw and what a fun little blaster. No 2 pieces of brass land in the same area.. Big Grin. A dealer friend had a all IBM which he kept 'till he died. He was a IBM retiree.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a tacticool (by me) mixmaster (Quality Hardware) rebuild, re-sprung, and re-parkerized set that is dead nuts reliable. Maybe 2 load/eject issues in 4-5k rounds. Runs like a clock. I like the Hornady and Speer gold dot hunting/SD loads.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Yeah, that’s no Universal. That’s USGI.

Universal went through several variations. In the early 60's they used mostly GI parts. Their later "hybrid" models used their own modification parts that bore no similarity to the GI. Several companies back then produced identical copies of the Carbine. Plainfield was one that produced mostly identical copies.

I had a later version in the 60's. The quality was ok but not the best. The op rod system was a odd setup. Several unique modifications to the receiver will instantly reveal the manufacturer.

Can't see the marking on the receiver in the photo.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post