SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Kind of surprised at the Scar 16/17 pricing I see
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kind of surprised at the Scar 16/17 pricing I see Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Thought the pricing would be over the moon. Not so much. A good thing even though I am not in the market for a 17 unfortunately. Maybe someone willing to do a layaway, hmmmmm Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m seeing a fair number of 17’s popping up used over the last year, and the prices are going down on average. They’re also sitting for months on sale. Weird. By comparison, I’ve seen only a few 16’s on the used market, they were expensive, and they sold quickly.

I keep thinking it would be nice to own a 16, but between cost and availability, and the fact that every used SCAR seems to be priced at $4,500 with aftermarket everything installed, I think the ship has sailed for me.

Posts: 17107 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never looked into a Scar, so are extra parts to be found? Or is it like John Deere and all it takes it lots and lots of money!

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
Never looked into a Scar, so are extra parts to be found? Or is it like John Deere and all it takes it lots and lots of money!

Some of column A, some of column B. Wink

Posts: 17107 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Scar's are not prone to break downs. Spare parts kits are not unobtainium either. So not a huge issue in my mind.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there’s a range in, I believe, Las Vegas that has a SCAR 16 rental that has gone some incredibly stupid number of rounds without any breakage. I hesitate to try to post a figure, but I remember it was an astonishing number, many thousands of rounds.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thought the pricing would be over the moon. Not so much. A good thing even though I am not in the market for a 17 unfortunately. Maybe someone willing to do a layaway, hmmmmm Smile

Originally all SCAR's, or at least all civilian SCARs were produced in Belgium, imported in a "sporter" configuration and then rebuilt as you see them at FN USA using 922r complaint US made parts. The Sporter parts were then shipped back to Belgium for the next batch.

My understanding is FN is now making SCAR 17's in the U.S. but that SCAR 16's are still made in Belgium and go through the sporter/import/ 922r dance.

My thought is this is because the SCAR H is still a US MIL issued item and the SCAR L was dropped a few years ago. Many of the SCAR L's went to federal LE agencies via the DRMO program.

Of course now people are trying to get more for Belgian made SCAR 17's though by all reports the U.S. made Scar 17's are 100% the equal of the Belgians.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are Scar barrels prone to heating up and walking a lot? Reason I ask is I have a dozen AR barrels of different weights and quality and some profiles walk badly

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any issues on my 17 with walking or suppressing. Just boringly reliable and accurate. I'm not a fan of the reciprocating charging handle but otherwise, it's a great gun. Only you can decide if you want one but I'd be hard-pressed to recommend something else for its intended purpose.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post